Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing fuel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
I am participating in a DE event this weekend and participants were notified that racing fuel would be available. 100 to 110 octane.

What would happen if I put it in a stock 2.0L with D-Jet?
shaggy
how much is it per gallon?

where is the event?

campbellcj
It would probably run worse, and it would definitely lighten your wallet quite a bit! (Usually $5+/gal)
grantsfo
You wont see much change. It smells cool.
Aaron Cox
burns slower IIRC....

motor isnt designed for it... dont use it smile.gif
jasons
Typically, you don't need it unless you are running high compression. The high octane helps prevent pre-detonation aka pinging or knocking. Here's kind of an interesting write-up about Octane and Fuel.

Fuel Basics
Eric Taylor
Just waisting money - The stock 4's are low comp motors. Try some octane boost from flaps, that helped my oiley pig of a 2.0
Eric
r_towle
race fuel is leaded, thus the nice smell.

lead is an added lubricant that helps keep the valves cooler when you are running the car really hard.

I normally run 50/50 in a stock car.

It runs better, its worth some hp, not sure how much, dont have a dyno, so I wont even guess.

But it does run cooler, and keep detination from happening.

At a DE, yes, at an Autocross, yes.
Street driving...well its illegal, plus its way to expensive.

Rich
McMark
Race fuel adds 30-40 hp. ZOOOOOOM!

J/K as mentioned, it's a waste of money. It's for high compression motors. My motor pings on 86 octane so I have to run 91. If it was still pinging I would have to lower compression or get a higher octane gas.
SirAndy
waste of money. it'll run worse and be much more expensive ....

now, mixing different octane fuels on the other hand ...
if you are like me, you probably want to run with about 1/2 a tank of gas. now, get it down to 1/4 with whatever octane you're running and then fill it up to 1/2 with whatever octane is on the opposite scale.
like, 1/2 of it 87, the other 1/2 91 (here in CA, we have 87/89/91) ...

that will actually give you a little boost ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
sean_v8_914
where's teh guy eating popcorn icon?
qa1142
Higher the octain the cooler the burn. needs high compression to increase volitility. If your 2.0 is stock or under 9 to 1 you WANT regular

campbellcj
I have a 9.8:1 C/R six. I've been mixing 91 (Calif 10% ethanol crap) and 100 in various proportions depending on temps etc. That works well. The Union 76 100 went from $4.25 to $5.00 in the recent oil price craziness, though.
Porcharu
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Feb 10 2006, 09:06 PM)
I have a 9.8:1 C/R six.  I've been mixing 91 (Calif 10% ethanol crap) and 100 in various proportions depending on temps etc.  That works well.  The Union 76 100 went from $4.25 to $5.00 in the recent oil price craziness, though.

Try some Toluene. It used to be about $4/gallon at paint stores. Works like a charm - my old GTI track car loved it and it was 11-1/2:1 CR pinged and rattled like hell on 92. A 4 to 1 gas to Toluene worked as well as straight 100 octane. Smells good too.
I forgot to add that Toluene is a normal gasoline componant so it wont do anything funky to hoses or seals. This stuff plus some 0 octane componant was Honda's rocket fuel during the turbo F1 era.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.