Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Mig welder, Where to buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So checking craigslist (which I f'in hate, because i can only search my "general area") and ebay, I cant seem to find something I want..

I'd like it to be as cheap as possible.

Oh yes, I want a good one, w/ gas.

Lincoln or miller is good.

Heres what i've found.

Lincoln Sp 100t Refurbished, $370 shipped w/ 3 year warr.

Lemme know if you can beat that price....
Dr. Roger
hard to beat that deal unless you know someone... =-)
Andyrew
Well... Theres 10k people here.. about 1k active...

I know a few!!!

thats why im posting biggrin.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 9 2006, 10:06 PM)
So checking craigslist (which I f'in hate, because i can only search my "general area") and ebay, I cant seem to find something I want..

I'd like it to be as cheap as possible.

Oh yes, I want a good one, w/ gas.

Lincoln or miller is good.

Heres what i've found.

Lincoln Sp 100t Refurbished, $370 shipped w/ 3 year warr.

Lemme know if you can beat that price....

You don't want 'constant speed wire feed' that is the current control on these machines. For a little bit more you can get a really nice machine that you can use forever. I love my Miller 175 plain ol MIG box and would not be without it - welds almost anything.
Stev
Andyrew
Lincoln sp135 440 new shipped /w 3 year warr

Me and dad decided on this setup.

We'll buy it in the morning if the consensus is yes...

What do you guys think?

McMark
That 100 looks very similar to the one I use for 90% of my welding. According to the lincoln welding product pages it's has four voltage settings.

Here is the SP-100T manual.

Looks like the 135 is the new 100. The 100 has an output range of 30A-88A while the 135 has an output range of 25A-135A. Both only have four voltage settings, so there isn't any increased resolution, but the 135 has a little lower low and a much higher high. I would say that either one will work great.
McMark
This is the spec sheet on my MIG.
sk8kat1
i don't know if you guys have lowes or home depot home improvment stores -- but per lincoln ---- the pro ig 135 is the same machine but lowes is switching over to the newer pro mig 140 -- so the remaining 135's going cheap as clearance -- I saw priced at 390.00 !! and at home depot it is the the same as the weld pack 3200 -- the different names are because they are made for those spciefic retailers....
IronHillRestorations
Try Indiana Oxygen. They sell on and off eBay with great prices. A machine with infinately variable wire and heat settings will allow you to tune in the machine for the material you are welding, which can be a plus for a beginner.
spare time toys
Check to be sure that the wire is not live all the time. The Lincoln should be live with the triger. I had a Sams Club Century model and the wire was hot all the time it was turned on. I would set it down and bump it close to what I was going to weld and it would arc or I would get my parts ready to weld and as I got close to the stuff POW a big old spark and I would have to quick figure how off I was and keep going. welder.gif I had the old flip down hood at that time what a total pain in the ass. Just a tip get the auto shift hood and not mess with fliping it up and down. I broke down and got one after useing them at work. Best thing since sliced bread. smile.gif
Andyrew
I used one of the Lincoln 135's on wed for 2 hours (shop class, have 20 pieces of metal to prove it) and its live on trigger (which I was very happy with)

damn easy to weld.. and I havent heard any no's with this, so I think we'll go with it.

Thanks guys.
airsix
Call your local welding suppliers and see if they have leftover Christmas inventory they want to get rid of. I picked up my Hobart that way and saved $150.

-Ben M.
Mueller
I bought mine from salesco which is now newsales or something like that....anyways, they have a sale on their welders right now welders on sale
TravisNeff
For new equipment (and maybe used??) I will second indiana oxygen www.indianaoxygen.com or check their ebay store.
Crazyhippy
Check home depot and lowes. Home depot has the 135 for sale on occasion for under $400.

It will weld just about anything you could want in these cars.

You will have to go get a bottle of argon (or gold gas) seperrate.

BJH
cobra94563
I just bought my setup in the last month and researched the options.

The $370 shipped is a pretty decent deal. You can buy the welder and mig conversion kit from home depot for $299 and $100 and use a 10% off coupon and come close (if you want one coupon, let me know).

What I did, there is a guy on craiglist that sells home depot cards at 75-80% of value. I used that and a coupon to get the 3200hd for about $360. The 135T (or 3200HD) you get a little more amperage and not refurb.

Gas tank from Indiana off ebay $99 shipped for 40cf. Nice tank and the gas supply took it in exchange anyway.

Auto darkening mask off ebay for $36 shipped.

Works nice...I just welded in engman's inner long kit smash.gif

Mueller
QUOTE (cobra94563 @ Feb 10 2006, 01:48 PM)
I just bought my setup in the last month and researched the options.

The $370 shipped is a pretty decent deal. You can buy the welder and mig conversion kit from home depot for $299 and $100 and use a 10% off coupon and come close (if you want one coupon, let me know).

What I did, there is a guy on craiglist that sells home depot cards at 75-80% of value. I used that and a coupon to get the 3200hd for about $360. The 135T (or 3200HD) you get a little more amperage and not refurb.

Gas tank from Indiana off ebay $99 shipped for 40cf. Nice tank and the gas supply took it in exchange anyway.

Auto darkening mask off ebay for $36 shipped.

Works nice...I just welded in engman's inner long kit smash.gif

interesting....someone is selling 20%* off coupons (6 of them) for Home Depot as well...these are only given out to employees and they only get one...someone in managment is padding thier pockets wacko.gif

*still have to use mine, trying to figure out what to buy and how close to the limit i can get, hahahaha
Andyrew
Hey mike you get my pm's?
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 10 2006, 02:57 PM)
Hey mike you get my pm's?

yea, I'm just lazy and have not gotten around to responding smile.gif

I got a 916 'glass bumper for you, I "think" it's the rear one.......
Andyrew
Cool beans

Im working on body right now... getting the flares all smooth and such.

PITA but its gota be done... paint will be sometime before wcc.

Andrew
jasons
I got the Lincoln 135 that Home Depot sells. It comes with the regulator and solenoid for MIG. I don't remember what I paid, but I did the no interest until January of the next year. I just paid a little every month until it was clear before January. That thinned out the pain a little bit.

I am happy with it, but I am not a good enough welder to know the diff.
Eric_Shea
Update...

The 'Depot' has the 3200D with a wheel cart all ready to go for $449.00 on sale right now.

I had the wifey open up a HD account (I already had one) and got 10% off.

$400 clams is a righteous price for one. wink.gif
jasons
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 20 2006, 12:31 PM)
Update...

The 'Depot' has the 3200D with a wheel cart all ready to go for $449.00 on sale right now.

I had the wifey open up a HD account (I already had one) and got 10% off.

$400 clams is a righteous price for one. wink.gif

Thats what I did. Or was it with my compressor? Either way, on one of those 2 things, I opened up the card, got 10% off and did the no interest til jan. deal. I think thats the exact welder I got too.

Oh BTW the calipers look sweet and your welcome for my contribution to your new welder. wink.gif

Rears will probably come your way this week. I just need to drop them in a box.
Eric_Shea
Hurry up with those damn rears! I have HD payments now... ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

Thanks, glad you liked the fronts.

Just got my gas so... away we go.
Sideways
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 20 2006, 04:37 PM)
Hurry up with those damn rears!  I have HD payments now...  :o

laugh.gif

Thanks, glad you liked the fronts.

Just got my gas so... away we go.

Eric,

Keep me informed on how the 3200 goes, I'm looking at buying one.....

Hey, and don't miss those payments, I work for the "Depot" and you need to keep me in the way I have become accustomed........
Tom Perso
I'm planning on getting the 3200 as well. Are the wire feed and voltage settings infinately adjustable, or are they just a few settings?

Looks like a good deal to me.

Tom
Eric_Shea
Hey, and don't miss those payments, I work for the "Depot" and you need to keep me in the way I have become accustomed........

Then ya'll better pony-up and buy some more shit, errrrrr... fine products from me... keep me in the riches! w00t.gif

(subtle as a sledge-hammer, I've been called) laugh.gif

Are the wire feed and voltage settings infinately adjustable, or are they just a few settings?

Wire feed, yes. Voltage A-B-C-D
Borderline
I just bought a Lincoln weldpak 175 for $340 on Craigslist. I caught it about an hour after the guy posted it and was on my way home by noon! It has only the 5 voltage settings I was wanting the variable voltage settings but couldn't pass up the price. I am very happy with it. Make sure you get the c25 gas cylinder (25%co2 and 75% argon) a 80 cu. ft. cylinder will run about $150 at your local welding shop. I have bought a couple items from Indiana Oxygen and they rock, however if you buy a cylinder from them it will be shipped empty. You gotta then go exchange it at a local weld shop or wait to have it filled. My advice is to buy the cylinder locally and develope some sort of relation with the local weld shop. The thing I'm not sure about is the warranty on a HD or Lowes welder. If you have a problem with a welder from HD or lowes where do you take it for repair. I had a problem with a small compressor (Task Force) I bought at Lowes and they were absolutely no help. Mig welding is great. I can't believe how easy it handles the thin sheet metal. Buy gud quality and you'll love it. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.