Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ridding a 4/fuch of black paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
i've got a 9.5 on a scale of 10 single, that a previous owner painted. just sell as is or huff fumes to make a bit more money? what is the safest product to use to lift the paint and not damage the factory finish?

k
VaccaRabite
Sell it cheaply. To me.

Zach
Chris Pincetich
popcorn[1].gif

1) Don't bother with the extra elbow grease to give those old rims more bling- let the new owner sweat it. Maybe I, I mean they, would like them painted and would add another coat? wink.gif

2) My AR mags have a border of gold paint that I want to remove enventually and am interested in the responses.

I was looking a wheel cleaning kit, with stripper, on the POR-15 or Zumwalt web sites that I almost bought.

beerchug.gif
reverie
Maybe media blasting, with walnut bits?... but even if that works (removes the paint and saves the finish), it would cost at least $25 at a blasting shop.
McMark
I used brake cleaner on a set and they cleaned up pretty darn well. wink.gif Ahhh, the magic that is brake cleaner. lol2.gif
rhodyguy
you used the brake cleaner to remove paint?

k
balljoint
It works like a charm on painted wheels. Especially when you don't want it too. smile.gif
Gint
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 10 2006, 01:24 PM)
I used brake cleaner on a set and they cleaned up pretty darn well. wink.gif Ahhh, the magic that is brake cleaner. lol2.gif

No discoloration of the anodization? Did you have to let it soak?
McMark
Well, my fuchs in question were probably just rattle canned. So it literally fell off in chunks as soon as I hit it with the spray. Had to rub with my fingers in a few places to motivate some of it. Not harm to the wheels.
McMark
After picture. No before picture. sad.gif
boxstr
Are they real Fuchs that have been painted or the replicas that are painted? I rember someone recommnding "Easyoff"oven cleaner.
CCLINFUCHSU
sixnotfour
Easyoff kills the anodize , you only want to do that if you are going to re polish it.
Gint
I've heard the Easy-Off trick. I don't want to strip them bare. I just want to remove the flat black paint someone sprayed on the "Budget 914"s current set of Fuchs. And I'm sure it's el-cheapo rattle can variety.
rhodyguy
thanks guys. i think i just let the new owner concern themself with the paint issue. you never know, their wheels may already be painted. the camera will come home this afternoon.

k
IronHillRestorations
Good for you! smilie_pokal.gif

I don like no steenkin black paint on 4 lug Foooks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.