Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
So I just got the gas tank out and some PO must have had a sand blasting party. I vaccumed out 2 lbs of sand!!!!!!

The chassis looks OK a little surface rust that will get POR'd but the biatch is that the old rubber fuel line snapped on the first tug of the tank. Man it's going to take a while for the gas smell to fade away.

I'm goi to be installing a sway bar now that the tank is out and hopefully replace the fuel lines in the tunnel If I can get one of my friends over to help.

Is there anything else I should do now that I have the tank out?
BigDBass

You might want to take a look at the POR-15 fuel tank resto kit at http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/COMPLETEKITS...06/Default.aspx

Dan
Eric_Shea
I POR'd my entire tank while it was out... the factory paint was kinda fading and thin in areas...

I also added one of Martins GT caps and then a fiberglass hood and then pulled the motor and then............ (where's that jackstand smiley?)
Jaiden
Eric The Engie removal is budgeted for next season so don't egg me on happy11.gif

This season is saftey and front suspension.

But If I break it early I might have to follow in your footsteps!!!
Eric_Shea
Ooooooooooooh one of those sensible guys who actually plans things!! mad.gif

Very cute now... alfred.gif

laugh.gif
jfort
re the fumes, I had fumes in my Mercedes, a long story. a friend had an appliance that you plug in to remove odors. i think he got it from a commercial building cleaner business. i think it makes ozone or something. anyway, after one night in the car, all the odor was gone.
maf914
You could strip the tank down and take it to a local radiator shop. They have dip tanks that they use to clean radiators and tanks. This will remove all the loose scale and rust. Then you can seal it and paint it if needed.
Jaiden
Proof! Ha must have been a color change at some point!!!

sean_v8_914
relocate teh fuel pump
Trekkor
Yes, be safe.

When you attach the new hoses, make sure they don't kink or pinch. A hose that is too long will do this.

Also, with the sway bar, there is a chance it may rub against the bottom of the tank. I shimmed my tank up a little.

KT
Jaiden
Thanks for the heads up about the sway.
Hopefully I can get a sway soon and get the mounts welded up.

Man I love welder.gif working on this car!!!
andys
Have your gas tank boiled out by the pro's. They'll coat the inside and paint the outside. Go to your local restoration/hotrod shop, and ask them who they use. It cost me $100 at a radiator shop that also specializes in tank resto's.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.