Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shell access to linux from windows?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
is there a quick and dirty way to get a linux shell window on my windows box?

the linux server is remote and not mine. no FTP or telnet, but i do have a shell account.

how do i get on there from my windows machine?
idea.gif Andy
lapuwali
Does it have sshd set up? Try putty if so, it's free, and works decently. If they don't have either telnetd (unlikely, these days) or rshd (very unlikely) or sshd (quite likely) set up, then NO one is getting into that box except via the attached keyboard and screen (unless they dreamed up their own solution).

If port 22 is open on the box, they have sshd installed. Just having this won't guarantee you can get in, even with an account on the box. sshd has a zillion knobs, and many settings won't let you in unless you have various keys set up.
airsix
I second the vote for putty. It's what I use as an ssh client.
-Ben
blitZ
You can use the rsh command to execute remotely from windows. To get an actual command prompt at your disposal, you probably need to telnet.
Gint
Like I said via email... putty
lapuwali
QUOTE (blitZ @ Feb 10 2006, 03:53 PM)
You can use the rsh command to execute remotely from windows. To get an actual command prompt at your disposal, you probably need to telnet.

You can only use rsh if rshd is running on the server. Almost no one runs rshd anymore, in preference to sshd. rsh and telnet are very insecure, and running their daemons are practically inviting an attack with a 10ft neon sign.
ClayPerrine
Andy,
If you need it, I have a copy of putty I can send you.

bondo
Putty if you need it to be legal, f-secure ssh if you don't. smile.gif

(that's my preference anyways)

In a pinch you can telnet to another machine that has ssh and then ssh from there.
SirAndy
putty worked!

schweet smilie_pokal.gif

thanks guys,
pray.gif Andy
solex
What about cgywin it has an ssh client that I use to access my linux file server.
Gint
I use cygwin as my X server on my XP laptop at work. Andy wanted quick and dirty... putty is the definition. cygwin isn't incredibly difficult, but it isn't what I would call quick and dirty.

airsix
One of the nice things about putty (besides it working so well) is that there is no installation to use it. Just run the executable and go. You can put the exe (and a config file if you want) on a usb key drive and you've got access to your servers from any pc, any place, any time.
-Ben M.
campbellcj
vnc is another option if you have the access to load the software and the bandwidth for GUI (X)

I am an old-school character mode guy (hard habit to break after 25 years) but it's nice to have the multiple windowing capability even if you're mainly doing shell prompt stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.