Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Unexepected Riches....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
mueba.gif Project Manager just stuck his head in my cube and dropped an unexpected "Spot Bonus" letter into my lap...... $1000.... mueba.gif

They throw in the taxes so the check I'll get is something like $1400, so I clear a genuine grand.....

So now I'm weighing it... surprise the wife with a weekend for the first time in 8 years (3 kids in a row)... or throw it into the 914 paint fund??? Been working my behind off for the last 10 months......

Any other ideas? My wish list includes:

911SC Front End + Fuchs or Cookie Cutters (got the rear hubs)

Paint + Interior

Andyrew
I say go half and half..

You throw it into the car, your just going to hear "nag nag nag" from the wife..

and if put it towards your wife, she'll be happy (which in turn might be easyer to spend more money on the car) but you'll be pennyless...
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Feb 10 2006, 03:51 PM)
So now I'm weighing it... surprise the wife with a weekend for the first time in 8 years (3 kids in a row)... or throw it into the 914 paint fund???

well, if you insist on painting something ...

invest $13.95 bucks in bodypaint and candles, have a romantic night with the wife and play with the bodypaint ( cool_shades.gif ) ...

then, while she's asleep (around 4am) sneak out, get on the computer, and order $986.05 worth of stuff for your 914 ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
VegasRacer
Surprise the wife. grouphug.gif Then you can use it a leverage when you want to spend serious cash on the teener. It will pay off, with dividends, in the long run.
Crazyhippy
Buy a vowel biggrin.gif

Seriously... go 50-50.

Do a budget weekend, but still away from the kids and fun, and the rest on the car.

BJH
balljoint
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 10 2006, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Feb 10 2006, 03:51 PM)
So now I'm weighing it... surprise the wife with a weekend for the first time in 8 years (3 kids in a row)... or throw it into the 914 paint fund???

well, if you insist on painting something ...

invest $13.95 bucks in bodypaint and candles, have a romantic night with the wife and play with the bodypaint ( cool_shades.gif ) ...

then, while she's asleep (around 4am) sneak out, get on the computer, and order $986.05 worth of stuff for your 914 ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

smilie_pokal.gif

The man is a genius.
URY914
Spend EVERY penny on that 914!!!

What in the hell are you thinkin'??? mad.gif

OK, maybe not a good idea after all,

P cool_shades.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 10 2006, 05:01 PM)

nine months from now: 914 for sale, baby on the way biggrin.gif laugh.gif
messix
invest that in to the wife. the returns should pay far larger dividends.
spare time toys
It was a $500 bonus and baby I love you so much here is half of it for you to do what ever your heart desires wink.gif
Brian Mifsud
Well fellas, generally speaking, you've pulled me out of my selfish stupor....

Andy, I like your idea, but I'll first need to spend $50 on 3 bottles of wine, then get some of her girlfriends to come over.. she only drinks to excess with giggling girls..., oh yea, the 3 bottles would be for her.. so times 2 girlfriends is now 9 bottles @15 each. + paint & candles.. so I'm $150 in the hole but that ain' t bad........

Not having yet been snipped, I can't swear that my "new baby" days are over... but that would REALLY be a BAD idea Mike....... (maybe I ought to just pay for the snipping......)

I'm a stone headed "all or nuthin" uncompromiser... so the 50/50 (begrudgingly) makes the most sense....

I'm gonna go see what I can do a weekend in Vegas for. Not having ever been there (yes I'm on the 3 person list of Americans who have never been to Vegas)... I have no idea of what $500 will buy... but it's a good idea... and she WILL REALLY appreciate the thought.....
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Feb 10 2006, 04:37 PM)
It was a $500 bonus and baby I love you so much here is half of it for you to do what ever your heart desires wink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I wish... too bad this bonus are direct deposit in the one shared account......
TimT
I think splurge on the wife..
tat2dphreak
I get yearly bonuses, I usually go 50-50, 50 on a small vacation(or last year, a house) and the other half into the car... my wife understands...

I got the engine 2 years ago with my half, last year... confused24.gif
914-8
Careful with Vegas! That place is as expensive as all heck these days. Even without gambling, you'll blow through money fast.

My wife and I went a month ago. We had dinner at a steakhouse on the Strip (Smith & Wollensky).

One drink each, split a salad, a steak each, split an asparagus side dish, no dessert, tap water. Bill was more than $175!

Other places were less but not a lot. Everything is expensive there now, unless you REALLY want to slum it.

jimtab
Take care of your wife...even if it's a 914...it's just a fucking car..... popcorn[1].gif
rhodyguy
bank the love. that way she'll know it's not all about that stupid car. a pair of modest diamond studs for her ears and the balance on a few things for the car. then, everybody is happy. remember, diamonds are forever. esp when you remind her to put them on when you go out. wink.gif

k
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Feb 10 2006, 04:46 PM)
Andy, I like your idea

seriously, the bodypaint thing works ...

here's a pic of my ex-girlfriend that i took at about 2am after we were done *playing* with the body paint ...

wub.gif Andy

seanery
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 10 2006, 07:23 PM)

P cool_shades.gif

When's your wife's birthday? w00t1.gif w00t2.gif Jumpy.gif w00t2.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (jimtab @ Feb 10 2006, 05:01 PM)
Take care of your wife...even if it's a 914...it's just a fucking car..... popcorn[1].gif

You know, you've got point the passenger seat DOES have lots of space to move around in....

the mustang is for commuting

the Odyssey is for family hauling

The pickup is for moving junk

and the 914 is for sheeplove.gif av-943.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist..

I got really lucky when I met her.. she turned out to be somebody whose first thoughts are for others happiness (you'll always be treated like a king as a guest in our house by her...).

That includes her supporting my Wooden Boat restoration craziness as WELL as keeping the Porsche.. hell when we just moved to southern cal, I was gonna sell it just to simplify moving a household of 5, a woodshop, 4 cars, and a bunch of machine tools I inherited from my dad. She INSISTED I keep the 914 "cause its cute and its the kind of car you SHOULD drive now that we are in Southern Cal....".

Cute girl.. okay, I'm caving in..........
URY914
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 10 2006, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 10 2006, 07:23 PM)

P cool_shades.gif

When's your wife's birthday? w00t1.gif w00t2.gif Jumpy.gif w00t2.gif

Sean,

You better send me an email on Sept 18 (I think thats a day before her b-day) wacko.gif

I just told my wife about my bonus and her words were "Got it spent yet?"

Love her soooo much.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (messix @ Feb 10 2006, 07:36 PM)
invest that in to the wife. the returns should pay far larger dividends.

agree.gif
Howard

Yeah, but 20 years from now the 914 will still suck.
Sparky
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 10 2006, 10:00 PM)
...I just told my wife about my bonus and her words were "Got it spent yet?"

...Sooo you tell her "Not yet I'm trying to plan something nice for just the two of us."
This way you can gauge her reaction as to how much to really spend on the two of you!!

Good luck!

Mike D.
campbellcj
It's SOOO easy to give hypocritical advice on the Internet (meaning this is not necessarily what I would do myself)...so my vote is to either save the money or pay down bills/debt, whichever makes more sense for your particular situation!

With my last bonus I got something the wife and could mutually enjoy, and then >80% of it went toward our future and our son's...damn it makes me feel old to say that!!!

jimtab
QUOTE (Howard @ Feb 10 2006, 07:23 PM)

Yeah, but 20 years from now the 914 will still suck.

so will the "old lady" if you're doin' it right.... poke.gif
VegasRacer
Don't do what I always do when an unexpected windfall comes my way. wacko.gif
I spend it three times over and end up deeper in debt than before I started.
Eric Taylor
Spend it on a great trip with your wife. How often does this happen? 914's will always be a money pit. biggrin.gif
Eric
snflupigus
I think you could make the wife happy without spending the $$ - I'm not married but 50 bucks on dinner at BJ's, some candles and SuperTroopers went a long way last night.. i didnt even have to get her drunk happy11.gif

Wont work on yer wife? unsure.gif confused24.gif

I guess in my experience...with older married women - they just want to feel young, giddy, naughty, etc... get a hotel, it doesnt matter where... just make it DIFFERENT.. Good thing you old guys dont always give it to em like that... LOL poke.gif (btw, before you all show up at my place ar15.gif , i was just kidding)

o and yes dinner was AT BJ's, Brewery smile.gif --- Get your minds out of the gutter.

BTW, Zois... the truck helps gets em hot too smile.gif boost gauge is like a moist-o-meter! LOL chowtime.gif
tat2dphreak
I prefer BJs at dinner to dinner AT BJs laugh.gif happy11.gif

I think that worked for you BECAUSE you aren't married... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.