Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable shifter for buggies, design idea for 914 use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Cableshifter

Price is less than $500....not too difficult to replicate for 914 applications with some of the different transmissions being used.....
TonyAKAVW
Thats very similar to what I'm working on for my cable shifter setup. Though I must admit that the in/out movement on that setup is pretty clever. I wonder though how tight the tolerance is between those two rings. That determines the slop in the movement.

-Tony
lapuwali
I can't tell from the photo, but I'd hope that's a roller between those two "rings", as Tony calls them, or it will wear about as quickly as the stock tailshift setup, esp. in a sandrail.
URY914
Can you make a paddle shifter out of it?

hijacked.gif

I read that people didn't like the CGT because it didn't have paddle shifters.

Never thought about really but if I'm buying the latest car I want it to have the latest stuff. You know like a CD player not a 8-track.

P
Jeroen
nice set up!
imagine if it could be combined with something like this: http://www.cartronic-motorsport.de/e/por_sequ.html
and you NEVER miss another shift drooley.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 10 2006, 05:21 PM)
not too difficult to replicate for 914 applications with some of the different transmissions being used.....

so, when will they be ready ???

biggrin.gif Andy
TonyAKAVW

I've drawn up several designs, and it always comes down to the in/out mecahnism being the hard part. I want to have essentially zero slop, so it ends up coming down to a large bearing surface with slide/rotate combination. This is of course sensitive to contamination, so the whole thing has to be sealed up which seems a little tricky.

Basically though my mounting method is to shave off the eyelet that sticks out form the transmission shifter boot mount (the last bushing before the ball bushing) and then drill and tap several holes. A plate with all the mechanicals then gets bolted. All of this is just a concept right now. I've been busy with engine stuff lately haven't prototyped anything yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll do some surplus store shopping and try to find some useable parts.

I'm using an MR2 shifter which I sourced from local junkyard. Cables will be from Mcmaster carr.

-Tony
xitspd
ohmy.gif www.patrickmotorsports.com
xitspd
QUOTE (xitspd @ Feb 10 2006, 07:42 PM)
ohmy.gif   www.patrickmotorsports.com

Wow! I bought one from them 4 years ago! I cannot find anything resembling a cable shifter on their site. Sorry, for the bad information.

Dan
lapuwali
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Feb 10 2006, 07:35 PM)

I've drawn up several designs, and it always comes down to the in/out mecahnism being the hard part. I want to have essentially zero slop, so it ends up coming down to a large bearing surface with slide/rotate combination. This is of course sensitive to contamination, so the whole thing has to be sealed up which seems a little tricky.

Basically though my mounting method is to shave off the eyelet that sticks out form the transmission shifter boot mount (the last bushing before the ball bushing) and then drill and tap several holes. A plate with all the mechanicals then gets bolted. All of this is just a concept right now. I've been busy with engine stuff lately haven't prototyped anything yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll do some surplus store shopping and try to find some useable parts.

I'm using an MR2 shifter which I sourced from local junkyard. Cables will be from Mcmaster carr.

-Tony

Hrm. I never studied the Toyota mechanism, but every MR2 I've driven (3 or 4) had really crappy shifters. I'm not sure I'd use that as a basis for a better shifter.

Jeroen
QUOTE (xitspd @ Feb 11 2006, 04:54 AM)
QUOTE (xitspd @ Feb 10 2006, 07:42 PM)
ohmy.gif   www.patrickmotorsports.com

Wow! I bought one from them 4 years ago! I cannot find anything resembling a cable shifter on their site. Sorry, for the bad information.

Dan

it's still on their site... just no picture
PMP915CS $795
xitspd
ohmy.gif Thanks for redeeming me! Four years ago I paid twice that amount......
Mugs914
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Feb 11 2006, 06:51 AM)

it's still on their site... just no picture
PMP915CS $795

AWSOME part... I got one for the turbo about a month ago and it is fantastic. Very crisp, zero slop and bolted right up.

I would never hesitate to use a tail shifter box with one of these things. Would prolly shift better than a good side shifter...

Couple-O-pics...
Mugs914
'Nother...

The cables have been routed properly since this pic was taken. sawzall-smiley.gif
Mugs914
The gearbox end of things...
Mugs914
Last one, I promise...
guiltless
Those pics are great. Especially the tranny end. That helps alot for someone who is a beginning fabricator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.