Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
This topic came up on the Pelican BBS recently, but didn't seem to conclude with any real answers or tech info.

I need to come up with some 1 5/8" 914-6 headers in the near future. Not really interested in paying $1400 for GHL or $3000 for S-Car-Go. Not really interested in B&B at any price, based on all the bad feedback I've heard.

What are my best other options? I figure I could get a Triad or Bursch mild-steel setup Jet-Hot coated.

Anybody have firsthand experience with the Triad headers? I figure they've got to be a little better than the Bursch (?)
Jeroen
Yeah, it should be really hard to fab something that rusts even faster than the Bursches biggrin.gif
But sorry, no experience...
Brad's gonna jump in here any minute and tell you that you need not go bigger than 1.5" diameter for the headers

Cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
Chris, which ones are you thinking of using?
Geoff
Jeroen
Geoff,

the ones on the left are 911 headers...

Cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
Just buy the Bursch headers. Dont have them coated. I'll have a race header for you in a few months (before summer).

Jeroen is correct.. 1.5 inch up until you see 295-300 hp. Then... 1 5/8 becomes useful. Otherwise your sacrificing mid range torque for 2-4 Hp on the top end. Unless you are gearing the tranny for all the tracks to keep the engine in peak HP...

Porsche STILL doesnt use big tube headers. I have several sets of RSR and GT3R headers from Porsche motorsports... 9k RPM engines... they are in MM and measure less than 1 5/8.

Oh.. My tube car and the Orange 3.0 car have Bursch on them. It only took one more coat of paint to keep them from rusting...

B
Brad Roberts
Geoff,

Do you want "at cost" 914 parts for the rest of your llife ?? I have noticed a trend in your pic posting. I need a "drop shadow" guy for the all914 site. Somebody who can take all my parts pictures and crop them.

B
Brad Roberts
Case in point:

Olav's 3.2 that has STOCK crappy flowing factory 6 HE's on it.

225hp to the rear wheels.. we might gain 3-5hp but the torque would drop off the same amount right around 3400-3500 Rpm..

I love his car.

B
campbellcj
I didn't even realize the Bursch was available in 1 1/2" and 1 5/8" (it is). The GHL starts at 1 5/8". The Triad web site has no info on it, just a pic. (Same one posted above).

This is a carbed 2.2S motor so we definitely need to keep the velocity up and not kill the already-limited midrange.

I suppose if I get the Bursch ~$400 I can afford a few rattle cans to redo their crappy paint.
campbellcj
I just realized...I bet I can get a 1.5" bursch setup really cheap because Williamson has to revert his 3.0 car back to factory HE's due to the new POC rule changes.

He also has a set of S-Car-Go headers sitting around unused, but I think they are way big (off a 3.6 or 3.8 race motor).
Brad Roberts
I pick them up from swap meets for around 250$ Normally new and never used. What is this crazy crap about factory HE's on his 3.0 ??

B
campbellcj
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 2 2003, 07:23 PM)
I pick them up from swap meets for around 250$ Normally new and never used. What is this crazy crap about factory HE's on his 3.0 ??

B

The $400 Bursch price was from Pelican's site (LOL). I bet GPR or one of the other guys would significantly beat that.

Yeah, POC dings you points for headers, and for open exhaust. I think that car (the yellow area 51 / burn victim car) is already carrying max ballast weight, so to stay in class with the new rules, something has got to come off the car. Cheaper and quicker than building a new motor. It is a very competitive class, and many guys were obviously maxed-out on mod points per the old 2001/2002 rules. Now they're scrambling.
Brad Roberts
Oh.. man that is some good shit. I wonder if the SSI HE's for a 9146 will work...or if stock size tubing of 1.5 will work ??

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.