Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Racing: HSR West
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Dream day! Attended the driver's trainning for HSR West today at Phoenix International Raceway. Very good program including class room, walking the track, riding with instructor, and driving. Full day of fun, and only $195. Even if you are not interested in Vintage Racing, a great way to get good sound education and track experience.

Also got to see a few other 914s. Wayne Baker was there and one of his friends, Robert Russ. Frank Beck was there from Phoenix with a new car. Only weighs 1650 pounds before he adds ballast to get up to the 2000 lb weight requirement. Jim Patrick was there with his beautiful blue and silver car. Eight 914s in all. Most are built for the "Porsche Challange" and are 2.0L fours and sixes.

Wayne told me he is getting 165 hp from his 2.0L four. Impressive car.

Check my blog for photos.

My Blog Link
brant
Is becks car a -6?

Is it all glass?

I want pics

brant
gregrobbins
QUOTE (brant @ Feb 10 2006, 10:40 PM)
Is becks car a -6?

Is it all glass?

I want pics

brant

Yes, it is a 2.0L six. glass deck lids, but car is a factory tub with lots of cutting and tubes. See photos in my Blog, it is the orange car. Note the interesting shifter. The car is very trick.
campbellcj
Sweet! Not that I get any time off work these days, but I would've loved to be there.

I made the decision the other day that I at least need to figure out WTF my 'mystery motor' really is. At least then I'll know if it's the 2.0 or the 2.5 guys who are gonna be whoopin' my ass! (Actually it will be all of them, but I can ignore the ones not in my own class.)
VegasRacer
Good for you Greg. smilie_flagge24.gif I had fun when I ran with the 2 Liter Challange group. Frank, Wayne, Milt and other are very good drivers, with nice cars too. It is impossible to be competitive if you are not running a 6 (or if you follow the rules). I did enjoy HSR better than VARA if you want to do vintage racing.
Jeroen
thanks for sharing the pix!
that front hood with the molded in headlight covers is a nice touch
hell... there's to many cool details on that car to mention
smiley_notworthy.gif
gregrobbins
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Feb 11 2006, 06:25 AM)
Good for you Greg. smilie_flagge24.gif I had fun when I ran with the 2 Liter Challange group. Frank, Wayne, Milt and other are very good drivers, with nice cars too. It is impossible to be competitive if you are not running a 6 (or if you follow the rules). I did enjoy HSR better than VARA if you want to do vintage racing.

Wayne is running a four that he told me puts out 165 hp. Running a SCAT balanced crank, Cam (he wouldn't say which one), euro pistons, and 44mm Webers. I am sure he is running high compression as he runs race fuel. He's not a six, but he sure is fast. biggrin.gif

I asked him about the airfoils on the back of his targa top. He said they don't do anything and smiled. Said they were on the car when he got it. Then he added there is no way to test if they work or not. Told me the car had run 160+ at Daytona and was very stable. Many find the cars get light on the rear at 130+. HSR does not allow spoilers or wings which is why you don't see them on any of the cars.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Feb 11 2006, 08:40 AM)
I asked him about the airfoils on the back of his targa top. He said they don't do anything and smiled.

Wayne is the one who started the HSR West 2 Liter Porsche Challange Class - so whatcha gonna do. cool.gif
jasons
Becks car is a POS I have seen it at his shop....

NOT! That car is the shizznet!
groot
I'm in the area and may stop by tomorrow to check out this event.... if I can get out of work at a reasonable time.
gregrobbins
My buddy Mike and I are going to be there all day. All the Porsches are parked in the same area. You will see me with my maroon 914Club hat. Also you call my cell at 623-297-4084. Would be nice to hook up with you.

Any one else planning on attending?
shaggy
what time does it start? and how long does it go?

i have already made plans to take a bunch of pictures of my friend's(matt joganic, the one you met greg) 928 and ferrari

but if it goes late enough im sure hed like to come down

john rogers
A little more info, the #54 car was the one Walt Maas hit the inside front straight wall backwards at about 100 MPH a few years ago. They cut the cage top off to get him out as he was knocked out. I think he quit racing after that which is a shame as he was and still is a great driver. The Patrick car has lots of detail picts on Jim's web site. Frank Beck's engines, along with Jim's put out probably 240HP or more and are very very expensive. It is a joy to see Wayne Baker in #54 which is a four giving them a very hard time. I was going to go but am doing the body work on the race car so will probably go to Willow SPrings for a shake down.

If you can find him, can you see how Ted's 356 is doing, the one with the new top and Los Ponchos paint job for me?
gregrobbins

If you can find him, can you see how Ted's 356 is doing, the one with the new top and Los Ponchos paint job for me?

Car looked good in practice Friday. I will give your a report after trophy runs tomorrow. Sorry your didn't make it this weekend John.

Shaggy, races will run from 8 a.m. to about 4 p.m.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.