Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do Ya Fix a
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Washed the Bro-N-Laws 914 that I'm get'n ready for the WCC and found the rear carpet soaked. Began sleuth'n the problem & found the rear window loose. The outside rubber seal is allowing the window to move so this leads me to believe that's where the water is coming in... both sides no less.

If it's easy to take it out & do the butyl tape thing I'll do it but if it's a PIA hopefully there's an easier solution.

Anyone got a "HOW TO" ?

.........b
DNHunt
Bruce

Afraid it's the butyl tape. It's not too bad. Be sure you do it where its about room temp cause the butyl is too hard if it is cold. Don't beat on it (believe me I know) to seat it. That window is made up of at least 10,000 little pieces all stuck together. It takes years to clean them up.

Dave
balljoint
agree.gif

It's only a PIA if you break the window.
DNHunt
After the warnings the how to. Remove the interior cause you need the backpad and the targa bar pad out. Gently remove the window. If it won't press out get a guittar string and feed it through the spot were it leaks. Go to the store for Flat Tire cause you'll need a friend to help use the guitar string saw. Use it to separate the window from the rest of the old adhesive. Clean everthing up, remove the left over butyl and wash the window. Set the little spacer, insulators on the sill, a little dab of butyl will hold them there. Trial fit the window without any adhesive cause once you put it up with adhesive you only get 1 shot.

Get the butyl the right temp. If it is too cold it is very hard and you won't be able to push the window into it very well. If it is too warm it sticks to everything including your hands and it doesn't have enough body so when you try to put it around the window opening the bead will not be uniform in thickness. Put a nice even band of butyl around the window opening (very important). If it varies much you will not be able to press the window in far enough to contact the thin areas. Remember even!!! Press the window in evenly and use a strip of black electrical tape across the bottom as trim (no sh*t, electrical tape). Put the interior back in. A nice afternoon job with a friend and a six pack. Longer if you drink more Flat Tire. Course you may not need the friend and then you get more beer and it takes longer. You get the idea.

Dave
rhodyguy
the window is loose. you should'nt have to remove the t.b. pad. the side trim and the back pad, yes. hopefully the old butyl hasn't hardened to stone. use your heat gun to soften it. DON'T SCRATCH THE PAINT ALL UP TAKING THE BUTYL OFF. don't foget the spacers on the bottom. clean the window with isopropol alcohol. if it's a heated rear window don't put it in backwards. wacko.gif don't scratch the paint.

k
rhodyguy
if you scratch the paint....installing the window will go much smoother if you have a second pair of hands. take the butyl into the house and let it warm up to room temp first.

k
Bruce Allert
This sounds like a job for S U P E R M A N burnout.gif

I may pass on this one dry.gif

.....b
rhodyguy
gee...a guy buys a miata and goes all soft ohmy.gif . enjoy the rattle and the
LEAK.

k
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 11 2006, 08:54 AM)
gee...a guy buys a miata and goes all soft ohmy.gif . enjoy the rattle and the
LEAK.

k

it ain't mine & it don't rattle cuz of the matchbook stuff'd in da top crack! It'sa redneck rig laugh.gif

I'll take it to my window guy t'see if he kin do it cheap.

...b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.