Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ebay item #4609448969
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
i rarely post this kind of thing. but $355.00 for an unrestored and what i presume is merely one of the leather or simulated leather wrapped padded wheels? who knew? i guess i don't need the one i have that much. i didn't check. if the blue light specials have them, i'm going to retire.

k

rhodyguy
unsure.gif thanks for adding the link. who did it? no comments?

k
TINCAN914
WOW!!!
I just found a way to pay for my FG bumpers.... screwy.gif
LvSteveH
That is for a 914-6 wheel, they are popular with the early 911 crowd to use a 911 RS replica. The 911 RS actually used the smaller diameter 914-6 wheel. That's not really a bad price actually.
DonTraver
Huh, I didn't know the wheels were different, learn something new every day.

Later, Don
Eric_Shea
What Steve said... you're now into stupid money with the RS crowd (ask me how I know...) dry.gif
LvSteveH
It's kind of a strange wheel actually, I'm not finding too much on the part number, the date of manufacture is 9/73, but it appears to be a 914-6/911 style hub. If someone could place that from an actual 911 RS instead of just a 914-6 wheel, then it would probably be worth quite a bit more, maybe $1000 bucks. I would have thought the 911 RS would have had a leather wheel, who knows.
rhodyguy
i looked in the garage for my wrapped wheel. must be in the shed, too cold right now. so what would the actual dif be in the diameter measurement between that one and the one out of a 4?

k
LvSteveH
Diameter should be the same 380mm if I recall, the hub is different between the 4/6.
Porsche Rescue
I think someone is getting hosed on that deal. A "semi-soft simulated leather" wheel made in 9/73? Don't think it is 914-6 and for sure not 911 RS! Sounds like a basic vinyl/foam 914 wheel to me.
boxstr
I always look at the Bid History on auctions like this. 74teenr should get a bonus from the seller.
CCLINBIDMEUP
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Feb 11 2006, 11:45 AM)
Diameter should be the same 380mm if I recall, the hub is different between the 4/6.

This is getting old... The hub is NOT different between a 4 and a 6. They WILL interchange. All you need to do is to pull the plastic adapter off the back of the /4 wheel, and put it on the back of the /6 wheel. The are splined exactly the same!!!!!!!!!

LvSteveH
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 11 2006, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Feb 11 2006, 11:45 AM)

This is getting old... The hub is NOT different between a 4 and a 6. They WILL interchange. All you need to do is to pull the plastic adapter off the back of the /4 wheel, and put it on the back of the /6 wheel. The are splined exactly the same!!!!!!!!!

Then why is there a six specific wheel if they interchange so readily?

On edit: Ok, I found the part number in the auction. Of course it doesn't say whether it's 4 or 6 specific in PET, but at least it's there. So, the winner may in fact have gotten a good ole rubber 914 wheel for $350.

Ok from a guy in the know on Pelican:

The 914s hubs are different than the 911 & 914/6 (recessed). Splines are the same and will go onto the 911 steering shaft but the depth is different.

Turn signal cancelation ring mounting is different. You'll have to drill and countersink holes to mount it for the 911.

The obvious diameter 400mm and 380mm difference between the 911 & 914/4, 914/6.

Another difference is that the dish of the 914/4, 914/6 wheel is shallower than the 911 wheel due to the reduction in the diameter. Once mounted the wheel rim is closer to the dash.

I have seen wheels marked with 914/6 numbers but have the 914/4 hubs. The correct hub is the key to finding a true 914/6 wheel.
736conver
I always look at the Bid History on auctions like this. 74teenr should get a bonus from the seller.

Why he wasnt the final two bidding. I am sure it would of gone that high with 74teenr.

Do you think he's a fake bidder just because he has a new ID?
rhodyguy
highly suspect. why would he be chasing the bid and fall off towards the end? this one's a stinker in my book. i see an ebay dispute when the winner gets the wheel. i hate ebay.

k
ein 6er
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Feb 11 2006, 09:54 AM)
I think someone is getting hosed on that deal. A "semi-soft simulated leather" wheel made in 9/73? Don't think it is 914-6 and for sure not 911 RS! Sounds like a basic vinyl/foam 914 wheel to me.

agree.gif

here is a thread with some pics of the differences in the wheels.

IIRC, i have seen this same acution several times before, or at least the same fotos used.
736conver
highly suspect. why would he be chasing the bid and fall off towards the end? this one's a stinker in my book.

Most people have a limit. His/hers was $190. I disagree with this being fraud or shill bidding.

New poeple join ebay all the time, are we going to consider them shill bidders everytime???

Also if you look at 74teeners history they are currently bidding on another steering wheel by another seller.

That right there should tell you it was legit.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.