Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT But 914 board related...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mrs. K
Hi Guys and Gals,
So I am in the market for a new laptop....mine currently is a Dell Inspirion with a Celeron processor
( can you spell S L O W )

So I was wondering what recomendations you all might have.

I looked at the new Sony Vaio FE 550 with the built in web cam and mic...and their new "X brite" screen. It's pretty cool. I also want at least 100 G HD.

All suggestions appreciated wub.gif

Lisa type.gif
race914

My company did a lot of trade studies and selected the IBM R40 thinkpad. I needed a laptop and figured why not take advantage of their findings as my work laptop has been reliable and fast.

I just picked up an R40 on ebay for $400 from 'laptop components' It's like new! laptop components

I'm sure others in the club have other models that are a good value too.

SLITS
****GASP**** You mean ****GASP**** you're gonna dump A-aron Admin sad.gif ? I didn't think he was that slow or heavy.

IBM Thinkpad...all the way!
Mrs. K
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 11 2006, 10:06 AM)
****GASP**** You mean ****GASP**** you're gonna dump A-aron Admin sad.gif ?  I didn't think he was that slow or heavy.

Oh hell no.....A-aron can sit on my lap anytime wub.gif

Getting back to the computer issue.....do you have the IBM think pad also Ron?

Lisa rolleyes.gif
SLITS
Yes, I have had several, both thru companies and my own personal.

I currently use a Toshiba or HP 'cause the owner of the company (my brother) is a cheap ass SOB....he buys the cheapest he can find....they are ok, not great, but OK

And when I was a Britt Geek, I used to do repair on them...

Thinkpad was the most reliable I ever used.

The downside to a laptop is not being able to upgrade components. What you buy is what you have.
Hawktel
I think you should go to walmart and get a 400 buck 2 year wonder. I've never seen a laptop that wore out. Most die to some kind of person insipred sillyness. Left it on the car, dropped it in the sink, spilled X on it.

So my thought is get a cheapo laptop, and use it long as you can, and get a new one when it goes tits up.
cbenitah
the new mactop.. intel processor super fast and the looks of a goddess..

my choice would be that one depending on your demands and needs

cheers
smontanaro
Dunno what your budget is, but my next laptop will probably be a new MacBook Pro to replace my current well-worn PowerBook G4. I've been fortunate in my personal and professional life to be able to almost completely avoid/ignore Windows. If you can get away with it, I recommend you look at a Mac or Linux.

Skip Montanaro
cbenitah
QUOTE (smontanaro @ Feb 11 2006, 12:18 PM)
Dunno what your budget is, but my next laptop will probably be a new MacBook Pro to replace my current well-worn PowerBook G4. I've been fortunate in my personal and professional life to be able to almost completely avoid/ignore Windows. If you can get away with it, I recommend you look at a Mac or Linux.

Skip Montanaro

i got you with one min smilie_pokal.gif
Mrs. K
But how different are the Mac's...since I have never used a Mac...only Dell and Gateway PC's and Dell laptop?

Lisa confused24.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Feb 11 2006, 12:21 PM)
But how different are the Mac's...since I have never used a Mac...only Dell and Gateway PC's and Dell laptop?

Lisa confused24.gif

the biggest difference is that you dont get ANY viruses.. it is fast, and EASY to use.. wanna delete a program, delete it and its gone.. no hidden files you need an MBA to find..

it is just plug and play.. it takes a day to figure it out..

let me know if you need any help
Toast
WHAT! ohmy.gif

None of the guys here has offerd to be your new lap top? huh.gif

Sorry Lisa, had to do it. biggrin.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE (Toast @ Feb 11 2006, 12:25 PM)
WHAT!  :o

None of the guys here has offerd to be your new lap top?   huh.gif

NO, DAMN IT!!!!!! laugh.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Feb 11 2006, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Toast @ Feb 11 2006, 12:25 PM)
WHAT!  :o

None of the guys here has offerd to be your new lap top?   huh.gif

NO, DAMN IT!!!!!! laugh.gif

ahahah, i think mine was pretty close though..

look no further
SLITS
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 11 2006, 01:24 PM)

Lisa  :confused:

the biggest difference is that you dont get ANY viruses.. it is fast, and EASY to use.. wanna delete a program, delete it and its gone.. no hidden files you need an MBA to find..

Wrong...you get the "Steve Jobs" virus....IwannabeIBM

You have to have software compatible with the rest of the world which is why their programs are so easy to delete.

A day to figure it out....Simple tools for simple minds

He wants to be your new "laptop"

biggrin.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 11 2006, 12:41 PM)

You have to have software compatible with the rest of the world which is why their programs are so easy to delete.

biggrin.gif

haha,

i'm not sure that i would be a good laptop..

although if anyone knows someone who will marry me for a greencard!!

av-943.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 11 2006, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 11 2006, 12:41 PM)

biggrin.gif

haha,

i'm not sure that i would be a good laptop..

although if anyone knows someone who will marry me for a greencard!!

av-943.gif

No worries....Lisa isn't that paticular.....green card, brown card, blue card......she just needs a new laptop.....
smontanaro
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Feb 11 2006, 02:21 PM)
But how different are the Mac's...

Lot's easier to administer... Much better user interface... virus-free (so far)... cool factor... yadda yadda yadda... If you want a totally biased^H^H^H^H^H^Hprofessional perspective, drop in at your local Apple Store and ask. Or read Apple's Switch campaign.

Skip
campbellcj
I have a Thinkpad Z60m on order for work; it should finally be here Monday. It will replace my current Thinkpad A31 which is about 3 yrs old and 'maxed out' for my purposes so I'll hand it down to another employee. The Thinkpads can be spendy but I typically have to customize and/or get the top-line config as it is my main machine for work and I do development and customer demos on it. We've been using the Thinkpads since about 1997 with excellent satisfaction. We use Dell servers and desktops but I have never been turned on by what I've heard/read about their portables.

For personal/home use I would seriously consider a Mac. My wife is currently using my old Sony Vaio subnotebook and when it craps out I think we'll go the Mac route.
dinomium
We deploy IBMs at my work, too. We are presently shipping R50e but the down side is you have to buck up another 65 dollars for the desktop replicator version.
I think the best bang for your buck is the Thinkpad T42!

I have also noted that IBM service, while still in Atlanta, has gone DOWNHILL now that they answer to Levono. Soon, all of IBM client PCs will be made, seviced and supported from the parent company out of South Korea. Not nessisarily bad, but you might want to know...
campbellcj
QUOTE (dinomium @ Feb 11 2006, 04:14 PM)
We deploy IBMs at my work, too. We are presently shipping R50e but the down side is you have to buck up another 65 dollars for the desktop replicator version.
I think the best bang for your buck is the Thinkpad T42!

I have also noted that IBM service, while still in Atlanta, has gone DOWNHILL now that they answer to Levono. Soon, all of IBM client PCs will be made, seviced and supported from the parent company out of South Korea. Not nessisarily bad, but you might want to know...

Ditto that! I actually ordered this machine on 12/20! At time of order (of course, just like the p-car world) the system said it was in-stock and shipped in 2 weeks or less. A few days later the est. ship date jumped to 1/31...then 2/24! When 1/31 passed by, I called (Lenovo) the rep said nobody was around and nothing was getting built or shipped to due Chinese New Year. However they did get their butts in gear and get it out the door when I threatened to cancel the order and never buy another thing from them...

Also -- even though IBM is still hosting the Thinkpad web site and e-commerce -- various pages/functions have been crashing. I NEVER recall that happening before the split-up.
ws91420
I have found that some of the sites that you have to download something for them to run (ie poker sites) dont work on MAC. Had an old powerbook and bought a HP to use instead. Just a windows man I guess.
Hawktel
I'm going to slam macs.

Don't get a mac. Everything you can do on a Mac, you can do on a Windoze box. Most of the time, you can do it for cheaper. I talk to alot of people. (As a example, one of my hats is I do the email/phone support for united airlines flight and pilot's staffing program, when a windows person calls in, its a 10 minute call. When a Mac person calls in, its a 2 hour call, hawt!)

People say Mac's don't get viruses. That's mostly right. They get very few because no one bothers to make viruses for macs. And they don't do it because macs are a small segment of the market. Like 6% now?

Think about the implications of that.

94% of the time, the software everyone else has, isn't going to work on your mac.

94% of the time, the cheap tech help that 96% of the population enjoys, your not going to be enjoying.

94% of the time, your never going to get a virus, so when you do get something, 94% of the time the poor shmuck on the other end of the phone is going to be saying... "hell if I know how to fix it"

94% of the time, when the office computer guy/friendly neighbor/ 8year old nephew/S.O is able to help with what ever the problem is, if it was a windows machine.

Windoze has issues. Some big. Say they get one big issue every 6 months.

Macs are much more stable. So say they get one issue every year.

The important point here is that mac's are computers. They do have a faiure rate. And to be honest, ussualy that failure if user error. But the end result, is a failure.

Windows goes tits up so often, everyone knows a little on how to fix them. Mac's, well when they break, no one is your friend.

So the net result is, that Windows girl is is back up and running after both instances, perhaps 2- 20minute phone calls to support. The mac person is back up and running, after a 2 hour conversation with a geek.

Just IMHO.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.