Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie FI issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thewheel69
Hi Folks, I just received delivery of my first fuel injected 1.8 (I have owned 4 other 914's but all of them were already converted to carb)

This little honey is a 1.8 nearly rust free CA car with great potential for a rolling restoration.

When I got her, she fired right up but would never get past that in revs... it would start backfiring and then die. after letting it warm up a bit, she all of a sudden she just perked right up and ran like she should, reving up and very peppy. I drove her around the block and was delighted that she shifted fine and brought me much joy which was temporary... as I turned a corner, she started sputtering again and died. She started back up and I coexed her home but she has never been the same since.

I took the fuel pump out to check its operation, made sure the fuel filter was not plugged with debris and shook all the various wires and hoses to ensure proper connection, etc.

I have only about 1/4 tank of fuel to which I added some SeaFoam and dry gas.

I checked the distributor for loose connections and condensation.

I am working a bit blind as I do not have a shop manual (on order) but am optimistic that I am just being a dumbass and not doing/checking something in the proper order.

Help! and Thanks in advance!
robby750
Can somebody help this guy? I can't. confused24.gif
thewheel69
Brain box? Air leaks? Distributor/points? Relays? I'm perplexed... anyone?
r_towle
If you are sure the fuel supply is all set, and you have no leaks in your old rubber hoses...

Check that you ignition is ok.
Check the wires to the coil, is the coil loose in the clamp (it happens) and the wires are touching ground.

Are the ground wires to your injectors all connected (top case bolt rear or car, passenger side.

If all that checks out, your points are good, you have no vacuum leaks, you valves are adjusted correctly, and you are certain you have no crap in the fuel tank.

Check the brass sock in the fuel tank to see if its clogged..

You can look in the tank with a flashlight and see if the sock is still there, if its covered in crud etc...

After all of that...open the airfilter box, and stick you finger in the AFC box..there is a little flapper in there...see if its stuck, or does not move easily.

If so, you can either open it up and attempt to fox it, or buy another one..

Also, check your throttle body, and gas pedal for any resistance..

There, that should keep you busy for a while.

Rich
McMark
Possibly clogged injectors. Check your timing first. Pull the injectors and make sure they're spraying a nice cone shaped mist.
thewheel69
Your right, this should keep me busy a while! Thanks very much... I will be traveling for about two weeks so everything will have to wait until my return. I appreciate all the helpful comments guys. I'll keep checking in for more suggestions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.