Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dirk Wright, Murphy's law
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
For those of you who have been breathlessly following the saga of Suzi, my 2.0, here is, I hope, the final update in this chapter.

About 2 years ago, a noted SoCal shop replaced the fuel tank. Since she was a racer then, delete charcoal cannister and related plumbing. Tank vents? Just cap them off.

3 weeks ago, gas gauge stopped reading past half full. Read the posts, fix the sender float. That's when fuel pump problem surfaced. Car would run great for half an hour, then quit. No sound from fuel pump. Let sit for a while, all better and drive off, for another half hour. Fry a couple of fuel pump relays, but fuse doesn't blow. Try everything, well almost.

Turns out the lack of venting in the tank eventually created enough vacuum the pump starved and quit. It never was a problem before, since apparently the sending unit had just enough of an air leak to let it breathe. I fixed that wacko.gif

So I vented the tank, and all is well in Mudville again today, anyway. Moral of this story? I have no friggin idea.
Howard
Vented. Removed bolt.
Howard
Oh, and I'm not sure if it had terminal vapor lock or I did any damage to the pump. So if anyone has switched to carbs and wants to bring a good early pump to Joe's, it will be appreciated.
SLITS
I applaud you clap56.gif 'O Prince of Mulholland for your ability to persevere in the face of all adversity to conclude another chapter in "Being Retired Gives Me Time To Mess With Shit I Know Nothing About and Come to An Adequate Resolution". 10 Kudos on are the way.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye....It is by order of "Our Lady Of Mulholland" that Howie, yet he be known as Howard, shall be bestowed with "Order of I Suck A Vacuum". Ceremonies to be conducted by A-Aron Admin & MattR of the CGBC, with a chorus or two by the WLVLLC Choir.

Now maybe my fuchin' phone bill will go down.
Crazyhippy
Hehehe... Did that a time or 2 w/ V-8 cars... could create enough vacuum to hear the tank Dink as it sucked the sides in... and if you wert to get gas, there was a pop when you opened the cap.... unsure.gif

Damned cars need a controlled leak headbang.gif

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.