Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CIS guru's need to pick your brains.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I pulled my motor apart and set the CIS unit asside. I went out today and started taking inventory of what I have and what I have to get. I pushed down on the sensor plate in the CIS unit thinking it would spring back. It didn't. It's like the pivot shaft is sticking. I have the manual on CD. The exploded view is very nice. The unit looks very straight forward. I was thinking about pulling it apart and cleaning things up.

Q) Anyone ever done this?

Q) Any pit falls to steer clear of?

Q) When you purchase a rebuilt unit for $ 1000.00+ what parts do they change?
brp914
It is fuel pressure that "springs" it back. Off the car, no go. Atleast it moves freely - thats a good sign.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 11 2006, 08:34 PM)
I pulled my motor apart and set the CIS unit asside. I went out today and started taking inventory of what I have and what I have to get. I pushed down on the sensor plate in the CIS unit thinking it would spring back. It didn't. It's like the pivot shaft is sticking. I have the manual on CD. The exploded view is very nice. The unit looks very straight forward. I was thinking about pulling it apart and cleaning things up.

Hi, Rick. the plate in the air flow meter won't "spring back" unless there's pressure from the fuel distributor. The plunger in the FD will also just "sit there" without the pressure provided by the fuel pump. Generally speaking, the FD is good until it gets corrosion inside, and IME the remans, other than Genuine Bosch, would qualify as cr*p if they were a LOT better than they are. It's REALLY rare for the airflow meter to fail, as they're a simple mechanical device (although VERY precision). There are some good materials out there for you to learn from. E-mail me Monday and I'll see what I can find. The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 11 2006, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 11 2006, 08:34 PM)

Hi, Rick. the plate in the air flow meter won't "spring back" unless there's pressure from the fuel distributor. The plunger in the FD will also just "sit there" without the pressure provided by the fuel pump. Generally speaking, the FD is good until it gets corrosion inside, and IME the remans, other than Genuine Bosch, would qualify as cr*p if they were a LOT better than they are. It's REALLY rare for the airflow meter to fail, as they're a simple mechanical device (although VERY precision). There are some good materials out there for you to learn from. E-mail me Monday and I'll see what I can find. The Cap'n

Thanks, I will. As stated I have the manual but I haven't found the trouble shooting section yet. Any direction to a good resource like CIS for dumbies would be great! screwy.gif wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.