Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjusting tool on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
Saw this on eBay this eve. Last time I adjusted my valves, it seemed like I had to use every screwdriver in my tool box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VALVE-ADJUS...611939012QQrdZ1
alpha434
looks too tall for use on a teener...

You know, get OVER the heat exchangers and BEHIND the trailing arm mount piece. And then with the 2 inches of space.... Adjust valves. 6 and 6 or 6 and 8. And then when your done cussing and spitting and throwing crap at whoever is standing around watching, at least you can sit down afterwards, sip a cola (I'm not 21) and say to yourself, at least I didn't spend 50 bucks on some tool that I couldn't use to do this.

Are teener valves 13 or 14. Mine are 14 anyway. But that might be from the PO.
tat2dphreak
VW places carry a better, smaller solution... this one looks like something jim-bob made

it may work on an engine bench, but I'll be damned if it will fit under the car with enough room to work...

I think it's gayfight.gif brokeback... biggrin.gif
type47
the jam nut on my 1.8 is also 14mm. the only place on the whole car that a 14mm wrench is used.
Dave_Darling
Go find yourself a ratcheting offset screwdriver. Like this one. These are immensely useful for valve adjusts, and also for a few other bits and pieces. Like the headlight cover retaining screws.

I use a deep-offset box-end wrench for the jam nut, and one of those ratcheting offset screwdrivers for the adjusting lug. Or at least, I use that one on the lugs I can't get my regular "stubby" screwdriver onto easily. I can't exactly call the job "easy", but it does work.

--DD
Frank Lolkema
The tool would be of no use whatsoever, since the locknuts are 14 mm on all 914 engines (as far as I know at least) Also the VW type 4 engines use 14 mm nuts. Could that be the reason they are trying to sell it on Ebay? rolleyes.gif
hmeeder
the locknuts are 14 mm on all 914 engines

Ummm, mine have been 13mm on 3 engines I have owned so far.

I agree that the tool is too long for a 914 application.

I have an offset screwdriver with the blade canted in 4 different orientations. No fancy ratcheting like Dave's gizmo but neither does it move without me wanting it to.

Offset Screwdriver
smooth_eddy
My Lock nut is 13 mm I think??? Actually the Husky is a much better tool than the Craftsman Dave. It has a fine ratcheting angle and is more of a precision tool. I think I use a stubby, rt angle ratcheting, 4", 6" and maybe an 8" too. Having one more joint b/t my elbow and wrist would be nice too..... So to sum it up........Lots of screwdrivers and have another joint biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
the 1.7 was 13mm, but I think 1.8s are 14mm confused24.gif
Tobra
Bah, what do you even want a thing like that cluttering up your tool box. I am sure I did at least 50 valve adjusts on the bug and never bought that tool, which would be easy to use on a type I, or every one I ever saw anyway.
r_towle
I read somwhere that a dime works well, in place of the screwdriver....

I tried it...and it makes it alot easier to get all the tools in there together...

So, I use a dime and a box wrench. I also remove the feeler guage from the stack of feeler guages and just have the one lightweight piece in my hand.

Good luck,

Rich
davep
I'd guess that the 8mm adjusters use the 13mm nut, and the 10mm adjusters use the 14mm nut, could be wrong though.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (davep @ Feb 14 2006, 10:48 AM)
I'd guess that the 8mm adjusters use the 13mm nut, and the 10mm adjusters use the 14mm nut, could be wrong though.

i think thats correct.
Jake Raby
These tools INCREASE difficulty of valve adjustments, especially with a 914 and the tight clearances around the valve covers...

dinomium
I just screw em down REAL TIGHT! no problems!
of course you might want to know the farthest any of my 3 cars have gone is the end of my driveway... aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.