Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine running issues . . . help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chunger
Hello,

I don't drive my 914 all that often because it has a low oil pressure issue I'd like to have resolved before driving it, but I usually take it out about once a month to bring it up to temp. and then back down. When I took it out today, the car was virtually undriveable which was strange to me because it's always ran decently when I take it out.

Honestly I don't know much about the FI or spark system, and this time I took the car out, it ran very poorly. I was wondering if you guys had a list of several things I should check initially.

Symptoms:

Does not idle when cold without feathering the throttle
Sputters heavily when reving while standing still.
Lurches severely under load.

-'Chung
alpha434
Is it a '75 1.8?

biggrin.gif
Trekkor
I think it's a 73 or 74 2.0...

Used to belong to Rob Ways.
Nice car and does well at the a/x.

I'd check for moisture in the dist cap.
Or a loose plug wire. Sounds like you are running on three.

KT
bd1308
mps/cht?

b
chunger
Sorry. . .

'73 2.0. Yes, it's Rob Way's old car, and it pulls strong when running on 4 smile.gif

-'Chung
chunger
Thanks for the tips,

I took the distributor cap off, and wiped it down, sprayed some Caig De-oxit on contacts. . .

Car started up, and revved normally again. . . didn't take it out for a drive. . .it's too stacked into the long driveway today.

The car still has some other issue though. . . it idles beautifully for about 2 minutes, and then dies and exhibits studdering again. . . not nearly as severe as before though.

I think I should clean all spark wires with contact cleaner and check again.

Gary#
Is it still a 2.0 with D-Jet?
If so, have you checked/replaced the F.I. points? F.I. harness/connectors?

cool_shades.gif biggrin.gif
chunger
Hello,

ok. . . you're going to have to excuse my ignorance. . . what are the FI points?

Harness. . . I know Bowlsby on this forum re-manufactures harnesses. . . are these what you are talking about? No, I have not replaced it. I figured I'd first "jiggle it. . . just a little-bit"

-'Chung
bd1308
in teh base of the distributor.

if you have D-jet, you wil see a Three Prong plug go into the distributor. there are like these igniton point things, and when they wear instead of not making contact, they make contact like twice or three times when they should do one....which translates into extra erratic injection pulses.

b
EdwardBlume
Hey Chunger! I hope you and your better half are doing well!

I don't know if this helps but the fuel injectors were new back around 2002. I didn't have the symtoms your having (its been over 1.5 years) but if moisture finds its way in the system, that's probably it. The distributor was replaced (new / used ?) around the same time.

I hope you have time to drive it more. Lots of fun. Take care, R
chunger
Hey Rob,

Things are going well . . . house is getting pretty darn close to done which would let me turn my attentions to the 914. But for now, I just want to maintain the car to the condition it was in when I got it.

Wish it could live inside, but i have it under a cover all the time, and that'll have to do for now until I get construction carnage out of the 1 car garage. Fuel may be old as well 1/4 tank. I'll take it to the station and fill 'er up. If moisture be the issue, I'll see if I can get it running decent and take it out for a couple hours.

Howz school going? and kids and family?

-'Chung
EdwardBlume
Kid is great! Being a Dad is cool. We picked up a 6 wheeler and have been frequenting campgrounds. I'm working on my Dad's 914 finally, but grad school will be around for at least another 3 years. I had to cut back to one class per qtr due to work.

Let me know when you knock off the dust on the '73. I still owe you a "rusty" "consider the source and discount heavily" autocross day.

I'm glad to hear your house is going well. It will be nice to move in and tear at your cars for a change.

Take care! R
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.