Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone done this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tdsmoonchild
rear trunk shock kit
Part Pricer

Somtimes Ebay is not the best place to buy things.

Go to the Camp 914 products page and scroll down to the rear trunk shock kit. $40 to your door. A little more than the ebay price & shipping, but well worth it for the peace of mind knowing that you're dealing with someone that will support the product.
Jeroen
lots of people have done this

you can also get them from Craig (club member here) at http://www.camp914.com
Jeroen
ha... Paul beat me to it biggrin.gif
tdsmoonchild
Thanks for the info. Seems like this is the way to go. I hate the springs in the front and in the back.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (tdsmoonchild @ Feb 12 2006, 07:40 AM)
Thanks for the info. Seems like this is the way to go. I hate the springs in the front and in the back.

(Start Cap'n Krusty imitation mode)

Why replace them? If they are installed correctly, they work great. The gas struts eventually wear out and go bad. The torsion bars will never wear out. All you have to do is properly maintain them so the hinges don't seize, and all that takes is a little oil.

I am in Hurst, and I can show you how to install and maintain them correctly.

tdsmoonchild
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 12 2006, 05:54 AM)
I am in Hurst, and I can show you how to install and maintain them correctly.

I'm a long way off from that right now. Just getting everything straight in my mind right now. Was surfing ebay this morning and saw those and wondered how well they worked.

It is nice seeing someone so close to me. May need some inspiration later on!

Check out my thread!
wbergtho
The shocks work just fine. I bought my pair from E-Bay. I had to use them because my v-8 car is so bastardized that there wasn't any more room for the "torsion bar" spring factory setup. If I had a stock 914, I'd keep the stock spring assembly though.
davesprinkle
You should be aware that these shocks (at least the couple of sets I've seen installed) require that the forward edge of the trunk wall be notched slightly for each shock. It wasn't a big cut, but it was a cut nonetheless. If you don't mind a little cuttin' and filin', then go for it.
jasons
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 12 2006, 07:44 AM)
If I had a stock 914, I'd keep the stock spring assembly though.

Why would you keep the stock torsion bars?

Elliot_Cannon
I replaced the springs in the front and the torsion bars in the back with gas shocks. I like the idea of upgrading little things like that to modern technology. Having said that , the carbs I have on it aren't exactly state of the art. l
Elliot
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (jasons @ Feb 12 2006, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 12 2006, 07:44 AM)
If I had a stock 914, I'd keep the stock spring assembly though.

Why would you keep the stock torsion bars?

Because the stupid little gas struts block the access to put the top in the trunk, and they wear out. Then the lid hits you in the head when you are trying to load something in it.

BTDT... bought the lumps on the head.

Racing916
If the shocks do wear out the are simple to replace, I got mine from craig and they work excellent. The probably wont wear out for a long................time anyway
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Racing916 @ Feb 13 2006, 07:53 AM)
If the shocks do wear out the are simple to replace, I got mine from craig and they work excellent. The probably wont wear out for a long................time anyway

The factory springs are free and come with the car, and they never wear out.

And for those who will point out the problems with the hinges, if you keep them lubed, they don't break.

Permanent and free.
Aaron Cox
the factory torsion bars can get in the way of a tall manifold carbed motor with rain hats........

asm ke how i know biggrin.gif

i like my camp914 kit wink.gif
GTeener
My car came with these installed (Cap'n Krusty?) in the trunk. I haven't had any problems.
andys
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 13 2006, 05:30 AM)

Because the stupid little gas struts block the access to put the top in the trunk, and they wear out.

So do the gas struts not allow you to put the top in the trunk? Since I'm doing a V8 conversion, I'm pretty much forced to do away with the springs.

Andys
Aaron Cox
uh... they allow you to put it away just fine...

i think mister clay is saying that they get in HIS way when HE puts away a targa.......
tyler
I suggest you be sure and use the camp914 ones. I first bought a set from someone else and they were too powerful. Couldn't even close the trunk without it bending - they were useless -camp914 ones worked perfect.
Frank Lolkema
Just a note to all who use the gasdampers, they should be installed with the cilinder upwards and the pistonrod downwards where ever possible. All maufacturers of gasdampers advice this. It keeps the presure in longer somehow.
Jeroen
Frank
welcome.png
Good to see another Dutchman here on the clubsite!
Were are you located?
Dr Evil
A couple of things to note, the hinges will have torsion on them when the trunk is closed and using springs. With the shocks this torsion is largely mitigated.

Also, I have no problem putting my top in the back and I have th older kit with the screws that mount so that you do not need to cut the trunk area. My preferance was not to cut so I am happy with this set up.

YMMV
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.