Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Wiper Issues - HELP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Did a search and could not find what I am looking for? When I turn my wipers up to turn them on low they do nothing? Then when I turn them to either med or high they move extremely slow - as if the battery is dead (it is fine)? Is it the switch or maybe the relay? HELP!!
bondo
There should only be two speeds. The extra "off" position if for optional intermittent mode. As for the slow moving on high and low, I have no idea. Has anything been disconnected that could have been reconnected incorrectly? Are all the grounds good? Fuses in tight?
djm914-6
My guess (for my car with the same problem too) is that the linkages are gumed up. If I spray liquid wrench or even WD40 on the joints, the wipers will work fine for some time then go back to off-off-slow mode and finally off-off-off mode. Usually they'll work fine till it rains. dry.gif
GaroldShaffer
Had the same problem with my 914. The wiper rack (?) / linkage was so crusted over it wouldn't move. Tried to spray with Pb blaster and such, but didn't help much. Had ot have the rack replace with a good used one. Now every time I get in the car I try the wipers just to make sure they are not frozen. smile.gif
bd1308
my wipers will start off slow, then speed up after around 2-3 minutes of use...

b
vesnyder
Sprayed them down pretty well with WD40 and they seem to work better - still a little slow. Don't feel good about the long term viability of that solution?
msglaigaie
you drive your 914 in the rain?? MSG L
Tobra
My wipers are even slower than that. I have to get them out of the closet in the garage with the rain tray, install them and then turn them on, it takes a while. A/C VWs are notorious for slow wipers, usually you have to clean up and relube the mechanism(with grease or something more lasting than WD 40)
bondo
The strange thing about this is when I had the car I had no troubles with the wipers whatsoever. They always worked at what seemed to me as reasonable speeds, even after sitting for a while. Maybe they just miss California? smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (vesnyder @ Feb 12 2006, 08:25 AM)
Did a search and could not find what I am looking for? When I turn my wipers up to turn them on low they do nothing? Then when I turn them to either med or high they move extremely slow - as if the battery is dead (it is fine)? Is it the switch or maybe the relay? HELP!!

Advice for ALL of you with slow wipers. Fix them BEFORE they destroy the motor. Remove the arms and the plastic caps. Remove the snap rings and washers on the shafts. Douse them with a GOOD penetrating oil. (NOT WD-40!). Run the wipers, tap on the shafts lightly with a plastic hammer and spray them again. Keep doing it until they move properly. Pull the shafts up until you can reinstall the washer(s) and the snap rings. Put the caps and arms back on, making SURE the posts are in the PARK position. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.