Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken Clutch Tube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
While digging into the center tunnel to swap out the fuel lines I found out that my clutch tube has come loose. It is very loose up front and completely unhooked in the rear.

What's the quickest way to remedy this? Cut it open... sawzall-smiley.gif Reweld the mounts... welder.gif reweld the tunnel together? welder.gif What are the exact dimensions on the clutch tube mounts so I can drill access holes for welding.

Lou W
I think this is ptretty much most PO do to repair the clutch tube;
Lou W
rear area;
East coaster
Best bet is to drill through tunnel (drivers side) and plug weld the tube. Then you need to address the rear of the tube. It's brazed by the factory, which pretty much screws you up for trying weld it. I did this repair last summer on a '71 cheapie driver I had. I ended up creating a plate for the rear that had a clearance hole in the middle and as much beef around the outside that clearance would allow, kinda like a giant fender washer of sorts. The I welded this piece to the tube and the firewall. It really helped beef the firewall (mine was all cracked from the PO driving it with the front of the tube loose!) and it seemed to get me out of the "braze zone" for welding.

Sorry no pics of the process, Good luck!

I'll get you a measurement of where to drill and plug weld if no one beats me to it!
Lou W
Here are some pictures DD posted on the Bird showing bracing locations from the underside of the tunnel;
Lou W
again
Lou W
one more
Lou W
once again;
Jaiden
Awesome guys!!! Thanks for the pics!! I might even be able to use a hole saw and reweld those mounts.

Now if I only had a welder.... welder.gif
Lou W
last one; hope these help smile.gif
Lou W
I've heard of some people using a clamp, but I don't know how well it held up though. dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Feb 12 2006, 05:05 PM)
What's the quickest way to remedy this?

the search is your friend. then there's the "Classic Message Threads" forum, you might want to stick your head in there ...

this has been covered in great detail with lots of pics ...
welder.gif Andy
Dr Evil
I have a clip in the front of my clutch tube. It works just fine and required no welding, or cutting. But, if you can then by all means do!
campbellcj
Mine is "slightly broken" in the front portion. So far I have kept it under control with adel clamps, but I suppose it should be fixed for real someday.
Jaiden
well I found out how the back was attached and it wasn't through the hole. I dug deeper and found that some PO had bondo'd up the area to cover a problem. I dug out all of the bondo and can probably patch the whole area since I'm doing the fuel lines at the same time.

I'll get some picks and post them later.

Now I definitly need a welder welder.gif
Jaiden
here's a pic! Yikes!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.