Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 alignment specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SC850R
I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have for alignment specs. My car is a 2.7 liter 6 with a 911 front suspension and 7 and 8 inch fuchs ft and rr. I had the car realinged as suggested by a local tuner and it went from predictable, understeer to a tail happy, unstable beast that tries to swap ends even with highway lane changes. My hope was to optimize the performance of the car, but its really unstable now (keep in mind I like neutral to slight oversteer, but this is unsettling ohmy.gif ). High speed sweepers are a nightmare!
BEFORE
left front> -0.7 camber right front> -0.3 camber
left rear> -0.6 camber right rear> --1.8 camber
toe at the front was 0.15 (toe out I think)
toe at the rear was 0.00

AFTER
left front> -1.1 right front> -1.2
left rear> -1.2 left rear> -1.3
toe at the front> -0.03
toe at the rear> -0.05

What do other people use? Why did the car change so dramatically? Could the toe change have had such a dramatic effect? There were no changes in the tires or tire pressure. Help
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SC850R @ Sep 3 2003, 05:49 PM)
BEFORE
toe at the rear was 0.00

AFTER
toe at the rear> -0.05

... Could the toe change have had such a dramatic effect?

if by these numbers you mean you went from 0 rear toe to some toe out, you betcha. rear toe out is BAD. (a little up front can help turn-in on the AX track).

too little toe up front (either direction) can make the car twitchy - the tires need to have some preload slip angle before they can be responsive.

you didn't mention caster, but too little can hurt stability too. try for as much as you can get - typically around 6 deg is what you get - it should just be the same side to side.
redshift
I don't like all that camber, rear around -1, and back to about what you had up front, -.7 or so..

Street, stock tires.

I am with Rich, having rear toe is like driving a car with super heavy rear springs, and no front swaybar, except worse.

M
si2t3m
Hi, on my 914-6 conversion (3.0, 911 front end with underbody swaybar, 6's up front and 7's rears, no rear swaybar) :

0 toe front
-1.3 camber front
-1.7 camber rear
Caster was maxed out but event on both sides.
0 toe front
1/16 toe-in rear

All this was done with me (200lbs) in the car with a 1/2 tank of gas.

Car felt pretty good at the last DE. It's a bit twitchy on the highway due to the 0 toe front but i like it that way.

Marc-André
SC850R
I think the minus 0.05 toe in the rear is toe in, but I could be wrong. If it is toe out that would explain a LOT!
scotty
You've got to have a front swaybar (and dangit, your wheel/tire combo is nice!)

I have 6" wheels with 195/65 tires all-around...

My settings are pretty close to Marc-André's (-1.0f/-1.5r camber and I run 1/16" more toe in all around f/r, caster at 6.0)... before I installed the front bar (now at full on -- full "off" was as good as no bar), the car was... "exciting" ohmy.gif to drive in a spirited fashion. Now it's fine.
Brad Roberts
Marc has good settings. Unless your good friends of this alignment guy.. you need to find a new one. I have NO idea where he came up with your numbers.

Oh.. welcome to the BBS ..ha ha clap56.gif

B
SC850R
Guess what folks- it was toed out in the rear! The guy's reply to me when I brought the car back to them? "Oh yeah thats toe out- yeah it will make it squirrlley (sp)!" And they returned the car to me this way why?????? mad.gif Thanks to everyone for their help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.