Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track Tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
For those of you who used both brands on the race track -
which ones did you like best? smilie_flagge24.gif
Sorry - I'm not interested in what auto crossers think.

I know Hoosiers are stickier, but they wear out to fast for me.
I am open to other suggestions (available in 225-50-16 & 245-45-16).
Joe Ricard
Well, just my .914 cents worth. I think the Spec Miata series is now using the Toyo tires because they last pretty good and don't give up grip when run hard. I have heard that Kumhos V700 Ecsta get a little greasy when driven hard and hot.

But I'm and Autocrosser and only slightly remember what I've heard.
I have used both and the Ecstas are crap - unlike the older style victoracers which I thought were good bang for the buck. The new ecstas have lower limits and suck when you get them gutinhot.

Toyos are better, but have gone strictly hoosiers now.
GBallantine
Toyo's all the way! I've run them for the last 5 years at DE and vintage race events. I can get 20 to 22 track days out of a set. Great bang for the buck. The interesting question is what tire pressure do people use?

GB
bwilless
I've run both, and I think that the VictoRacers are faster. My last two sets have been RA-1's because people tell me they last longer. I'm keeping data on my most recent set to verify if that's true with "my" driving style.

I guess that means I'll have to buy a set of VictoRacers to validate my data. cool.gif

For Auto-X, the VictoRacers are much better than the RA-1's, in my opinion.

I currently have about 260 track miles on my RA-1's and they look pretty good still.
DonTraver
I will be trying the Toyo's when I wear out my Kuhmo's, I get about 4 track days at Streets of Willow out of a set. At $600+ a set, I'd like to get a bit more out of a set. The Kumhmo's do get real greasy when hot, like during July/August at Willow. I've even broke loose between turns 4-5, the sweeper before the double apex.

But you can do a really bitchin' 4-wheel drift on the skid pad in 3rd gear, full throttle, telling youself, rotate, rotate, rotate, yee haw.

Later, Don
KenH
Do you want the fastest times? or tire life?

Times = V710s or Hoosiers

Tire Life = RA-1s

Ken
MattR
RA1s all the way. I mounted up a set of victoracers last week, and I swear the sidewalls are more flacid then street tires...
Wild 6
The RA1s are very predictable and sticky on the track. They usually don't become greasy unless you run incorrect tire pressures.
jhadler
I think it depends on what you want out of 'em. If you're looking to win a race, the Kumho might be the better bet. If you're looking to have a set of track tires that will stretch the racing budget further, the Toyo's. They won't be -quite- as fast as the Kumho, but they will last longer.

Oh, and it's the Victoracer you're talking about right? The Ecsta 700 is lame. The 710 is the killer tire, but won't last as long.

The nice thing about the victoracer is that you can get 'em from tirerack... no so for the toyo...

-Josh2
VegasRacer
That is what I was afraid of. unsure.gif 7 - 6
I have ran primarily Victoracers on my 2 previous race cars. I did use a set of RA1's a looong time ago. I want the most grip I can get . . . . that will last a full season ( 15-20 track days and a few Auto-X's).
Scott Carlberg
I know you didn't ask about them VegasRacer,

but how does the Yokohama tires compare to the Toyo's & the Victoracers?
Trekkor
I haven't run the Toyo's, but the guys that do in the 911 ToyoCup series say they get 6 weekends out them.

I run the 710's and i really like them.
I have about 12 hours on them and I think I can get another 12.

They stick real well and don't lose there grip, even after a 30 minute session.

28 psi for a/x and 30-32 for the track is what works for me.

KT
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Scott Carlberg @ Feb 13 2006, 11:39 PM)
how does the Yokohama tires compare to the Toyo's & the Victoracers?

It's a moot question.
I couldn't find any of the Yokes in the right size.
Same for the Hankooks (which I heard were really good).
The only Avons I could find were Auto-X tires.
VegasRacer
I ordered a set of the Toyo RA1's today. mueba.gif I'm gonna run them un-shaved.
My tire guy recommended the RA1, so I'll give 'em a shot. They will be here Monday.
I will let you know in 2 weeks what I think of them on the track.
Wild 6
I run one heat cycle on the new (unshaved) Toyo RA1s before track use. I do this by jumping on the Interstate and running 30-40 minutes at highway speeds. After that, I let them sit for 24 hours. They stick from the first moment I'm on the track until they are corded.

My Track Pressures:
Try running pressures of around 36 psi rear (hot) and 30 psi front (hot). Set them cold at 29 rear and 24 front.

On the track, the Toyos will feel squirly (no stick) if they are overinflated and stick at the beginning but become greasy if they are underflated.

My Autocross Pressures (set cold):
Cold asphalt: 36 rear, 30 front
Warm to hot asphalt: 34 rear, 28 front

I won TTOD at the last autocross with a fairly new set of Toyo RA1s. They sucked in the cold morning and stuck like glue in the warm afternoon. RA1s need a little heat in the asphalt.

Autocross Results by Time

VegasRacer
I have always heat cycled my track tires. It does seem to add to their life.
I am surprised you have your front tire pressure so low.
Doesn't that give you a lot of understeer?
My baseline is 1 - 2 pounds less in the front than the rear.
GBallantine
If you look at the Ra 1 tech booklet it recommends reaching 40-42 psi hot at a temp range of 160 to 200 degree. What it doesn't tell you is the weight of the car?
I ran Ra 1 's in Solo 1 with 35 front and 36 rear cold at the end of 5 laps they came up to 41 hot. I now run the car in Vintage racing 30 min. races and DE and start my temps at 24 front 26 rear cold. This info was provided by the tech advisor at Toyo based on a car weight of 1800-2000 lbs in sunny conditions with temps in the 70 to 80 range . Most of the guys I race with seem to run this psi range. Try starting low and adding a pound at a time until you hit a comfort zone.
VegasRacer
Thanks. My car is 2350 w/ driver. So I need more psi than you? Right?
I found the Toyo T1S street tires need lots of air (41 on the track).
My hot readings for the Victoracers were 31 / 33 on a 2100 lb 914.

I got a new pyrometer for Christmas so I will have a new set of #'s to play with.
Wild 6
My car weighs 2,650 with me in it. The 3.6L engine with 915 gearbox make the rear-end of the car heavy. The spread between the front and rear pressure is 6-8psi with my car. The rear tires grip at hot pressures ranging from 34-38psi. The fronts grip best from a 27-29psi hot (a narrower range).

P.S. My car has never really exhibited understeer. It's always been neutral to a little bit tail happy if you loosen the sway bay.
iamchappy
Ive been considering the RA-1s or the T1-R for summer street tires I am currently running Yoko ES100's. I know the RA-1's wont wear well but I dont see driving any more than 5000 a year and probably much less considering the car spends 99.9% of the time up on the lift. I have my Yoko's on other wheels so switching sets could extend the life of the RA-1s. What do you think about using the RA-1's for on the street.
VegasRacer
Either the RA1's or the Victoracers will work for the street.
They can take the multiple heat cycles. Just don't go out in the rain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.