Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoking 2 liter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
I have just bought a used stock FI 2.0 to put in my '72. Don't know miles. The engine has just been removed and the PO says that the only problem he is aware of is some smoke during decleration. Could this be rings, valve guides, or ??? Since the engine is out I could do a top end but don't want to go the whole rebuild route for awhile.
If I did a top end what about putting a set of 96mm jugs on now???
Suggestions please.
dralf
blink.gif My 2.0 engine does the same thing. It keeps people back a safe distance as I exit the Interstate or come to a stop light.

I am intrested in hearing what the gang has to say about it. I am thinking valve guides. I plan on changing from the synthetic oil to maple syrup in an effort to stop the smoking when I decelerate.
DNHunt
Mike

My old 2.0l smoked on decel too, Kevin's smokes. Last year on our drive to Bellingham all the 2.0ls smoked. The 1.8s and 1.7s didn't. I ran mine for a couple of years thay way. It keeps the 911s away.

I've been told that smoke on decel is the valve guides. There are a couple of things you can do.

1) Before you put it in, take off the valve covers and remove a couple valve springs. If the guides are bad the valve will woble. I can't remember off hand what the spec is but, I've heard that the old timers just go by the feel. I have a spring compressor I can get to you Sat at the breakfast.

2) Put it in and do a leakdown check. This will also tell you about rings and maybe head seal. Adjust the valves first and you can learn alot about them as well. I can do this as well but, you have to drive it up to my place.

These things always seem to grow so if you take it apart be prepared.

Dave

Michael J
I can live with a little smoke but I'll have to just quiz up the PO when I pick it up next week.

Thanks Dave but while I might be an old timer I don't have "the feel" so it wouldn't help to borrow the spring compressor. The leak down test I might take you up on later.

My family used to joke about my "15 minute" remodel jobs around the house because they always ended up taking 2 or 3 weeks. So I am concerned about getting started even in some minor way on the engine.

I'm still interested in thoughts on the 96mm bigbore kit.
porschenut
Valve guides
Had a shop rebuild heads and they knurled the guides to fit because they were too lazy to get the right size and ream. Had the same problem after a year, new guides fixed it.
DNHunt
If you are gonna up the displacement I think I'd get the P&Cs from Jake then you know it's good stuff. If you take it that far apart I'd get the heads rebuilt so you know they are top notch. The MPS will need a tweak that Bleyseng can do if you can catch up to him. It'll have a little more pop.

Dave
Joe Ricard
You can run the motor out of the car to see what it does. saves the time of install in car and then remove because it is sick.
Smokey engines have timer on them. when it dings IT"S DONE.
dinomium
QUOTE (Michael J @ Feb 13 2006, 08:08 AM)
I can live with a little smoke but I'll have to just quiz up the PO when I pick it up next week.

Thanks Dave but while I might be an old timer I don't have "the feel" so it wouldn't help to borrow the spring compressor. The leak down test I might take you up on later.

My family used to joke about my "15 minute" remodel jobs around the house because they always ended up taking 2 or 3 weeks. So I am concerned about getting started even in some minor way on the engine.

I'm still interested in thoughts on the 96mm bigbore kit.

too funny, I am going on year three of the main bathroom remodle!
The floor and shower is in...
paging Dirk Wright...
DNHunt
Dino

Your wife must be a saint. Three years to remodel the bathroom would get me single or dead. I'll do other things but kitchens or bathrooms are off limits cause those are "get er done" projects.

Dave
DBCooper
That's usually valve guides. Try coasting down a long hill with the throttle closed, it will usually get worse. When you decellerate and the throttle is closed there's a lot of vacuum in the cylinders that will suck oil past the guides. It's hard to replicate in the shop because there's not that much vacuum being produced for very long periods when you're just revving the motor.
Porcharu
I'm the PO. My guess is valve guides/seals. Yes the engine will run outside the car - you are getting EVERYTHING right down to the tailpipe. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
what seals? 914 guides don't got no seals.
rhodyguy
guides wear. valve stems develop a taper, or thinning if you will, in the center area of the stem. if you decide to do the heads, gerry at northwest connecting rod (seattle) is pretty resonable. remind me to discuss this with you at b-fast. yes, mine smokes. according to al blose tho, it's more appearent (worse) when i'm at a high rpm and take my foot out of it.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.