914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
Anyone know where I could find/buy the round air filter for my 1.7L

Thanks,
Ray
brant
was yours round?

73 1.7 was the change year.
all of the early cars had round oil bath, and I thought that mid year the throttle body changed from sideways to upright and they started using the paper filter (similar to all the late cars)

I asume if its paper then any of the square box's would work.

sorry.. you probably know this
bump for the round search

brant
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (brant @ Feb 13 2006, 07:50 AM)
was yours round?

73 1.7 was the change year.
all of the early cars had round oil bath, and I thought that mid year the throttle body changed from sideways to upright and they started using the paper filter (similar to all the late cars)

I asume if its paper then any of the square box's would work.

sorry.. you probably know this
bump for the round search

brant

The square filter was used only on the 2 litre and 1.8 cars. 73 1.7 used a round air filter, which has become difficult to obtain. Lemme look when I get to work. The Cap'n
rmital
QUOTE (brant @ Feb 13 2006, 07:50 AM)
was yours round?

yeah...got the round one....

no after-market round paper ones out there?
rmital
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 13 2006, 07:56 AM)
Lemme look when I get to work.  The Cap'n

...thanks cap'n
elwood-914
My 1.7 was round also. My 2.0 is square. I was having a hard time locating one also........when my car was running. sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Is it possible to backdate without serious plumbing issues?

Seeing as how those are scarce, That's what I would look into. I like Oil Bath's
gklinger
There's one on the bay.
rmital
QUOTE (gklinger @ Feb 13 2006, 09:50 AM)
There's one on the bay.

That's it....

Eightyone Motorsports?

Anyone have experiance purchasing from them?
brant
learned something new.
thanks captain...
thanks rmital!

brant
lapuwali
The 1.7 always had the sideways throttle body, and the '73 1.7 airbox is unique to that car. As far as I know, the plenum was the same for all 1.7s, only the filter changed. You could probably fit an early 1.7 oil bath airbox to a '73, if filters are simply unavailable. This seems unlikely, as I'd expect the filter is also used on other cars.
Al Meredith
I have a like new oil bath air cleaner off a 71. The car was wrecked in the front in 81 and has been inside since. I sold the heat exchangers couple of years ago, they were so clean they still had date codes on them and the J tubes were so clean you could still see the blue where they were welded. I have the air cleaner AND the "J" shaped rubber connector. Anyone interested?? Al
KaptKaos
I have the same issue with my air filter. Are there any aftermarket kits that could be used in place of the stock one so that filter are a little easier to come by?

Anyone know?
lapuwali
I'd just measure the stock air filter and head down to a big box FLAPS and start checking the wall of air filters those places have, looking for a round filter that matches. You can cull the list pretty quickly by just looking for a square box that's the right size, then compare the filters. Once you find it, note the part number.

I'm fairly sure SOME other car used the same air filter, but it may have been something that wasn't sold in the US, so none of the usual US suppliers have an interchange. Perhaps if you ask nicely, you can get one of the board members in Europe to check for a parts interchange for a Renault, a FIAT, or something like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.