Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank hose replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I need to replace my fuel tank hoses. After I replaced my fuel pump, it turns out the fuel hoses are shot.. as evident from the 2 gallons of fuel I lost. So.. does anyone have a clear picture of what they SHOULD look like, and/or suggestions on how to go about replacing them? It seems they are almost impossible to reach from the bottom, and I'm not looking forward to removing the gas tank.

Thanks!
tod914
Carlitos,

You have to pull the tank out. Take off the filler box on the top, unscrew the clamp over the top. Maybe get a blanket or some padding so you dont dent/scratch your hood when you pull it. It's and easy one man job. Just insure the tank is empty and you have a bunch of old towels available to soak up any gas thats remaining. Im assuming your car is a 73-74. I think the intake and return are different size lines (mine is a 75 which are the same). I got the fuel line kit from Porsche (out of necessity). There are other places like Pelican, AA, etc that can sell you the line.
I would strongly suggest that you inspect all your fuel lines. especially the plastic tunnel line where it exits the main firewall under the engine (gets brittle over time).
While you have the tank out, clean it and inspect it! There is a screen in the feed line that can be replaced as well. (i know AA carries it, inexpensive). Might be a good time to replace the gas filter, clean the injectors (the rubber elbows collect sediment over time), replace the fuel line in the engine bay.
As far as parts, there is a gasket that goes between the tank and filler, fuel filter, strainer sock, tank lines, inner and outer fuel injector seals, intake runner gaskets and elbows if you want, then your high pressure braided fuel line for your engine bay.
You can do a search under my name on this site and the pelican board if you need to replace the tunnel lines. Youll get alot of usefull info being I went through the same thing as you some time ago. Be safe replace it all! (tunnel lines might not warrant it but would a good time to do it once the tank is out).
Its not hard job at all. Good luck!
Chris Pincetich
popcorn[1].gif

I'm interested in the fuel line question too - but more along the lines of

1) Do I need to order the new fuel lines from tank to tunnel for my '72 1.7
2) Can I take the old fuel lines off of the tank when it is out and head over to Kragen (FLAP) and find something that is going to work out fine (non OEM fuel line)

I've had the tunnel-FI lines replaced during an engine swap, but since the tank wasn't removed at that time the tank lines weren't replaced. I want to get the tank out this comming weekend to service the wiper mechanism, and want to replace those lines, clean, re-seal etc....

Thanks in advance for advice beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.