Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What size tires should I put on the rear?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
I'll be putting 255 40 17's up front

Im leaning towards 275 40 18's because of price and diameter of tire.
And this tire.Falken

The taller diameter would also increase the contact patch as well...

Next size up would be. Falken

oh and discount tire has free shipping...

What do you guys think?

Andrew
Mueller
i'd try to pick a size that is an OEM size so a few years down the road you don't get stuck looking for a hard to find size.....

Aaron Cox
i think 18's are too big... but thats me tongue.gif

bigger is better

show your bonded on flares man!
neo914-6
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 13 2006, 11:09 AM)
i'd try to pick a size that is an OEM size so a few years down the road you don't get stuck looking for a hard to find size.....

agree.gif
I chose 996:
225-35-18 F
295-30-18 R

More common Boxster sizes are slightly narrower

Ironically some of us (Roger) got our flares and are sizing the tires or spacers to fill them out ...I did it with my Chalon.

This time I chose the wheel size and had the flares match them...
mrdezyne
Regardless of what size you choose, you will be very happy with the Falkens. I had a set on the BMW and loved them. I have 275/40 R17 for the back of the 914 just waiting for flares....

And if you pick an oddball size the first time you can always opt for the OEM size that is available when its time to re-shoe.....
914_1.8t
I vote 285x30x18 on rear...cuz that's what I have laugh.gif

But really, get whatever you can get the best deal on...you can always change the tire size next time you buy tires (like mrdezyne said). I happened to find a deal on ebay for mine so I went with them.
Andyrew
There is also gear ratio's do deal with, and pot holes..

I WILL bend an 18'in rim on 30 series tires. AND it would make my 80mph rpms go even higher than 3.2krpm...

BTW.. 295 30 18's... are ehem.. almost non avalible.. and 2x as much money for barely any more tire..

Oh yes.

I have a measured 11.5in between the fenders. More if I cut the 1/2 in lip.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.