Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot: sears sucks!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
sorry needed to rant ...

I bought a 3 ton floor jack from sears in aug . -- I have used it all of 4 times .The last time was to put the teener on .. jacksatnds ohmy.gif .... whe I tried to lower the jack it seized up and would let the release vale open to lower the jack!!!

I finally able to borrow a nieghbors jack to remove mine and I took it back to sears .. they basicly said congrats you have a $100 + paper wieght! mad.gif mainly because I had no receipt even though it is easy to see that it has barely been used and clearly says craftsman all over the damn thing...

has any one else had isses with newly purchased jacks from sears ... of know of a better jack that won't seize while lifting a little 914
brer
did you buy it on credit card?
may be some recourse there.
watsonrx13
This is funny. I too purchased a 3-ton floor jack from Sears. Used about 6 times, then the fluid leaked out. Anyway, went back to Sears to get a replacement, 'Sorry we don't waranty floor jacks, just tools.' WTF? Anyway, I purchased another one from them (a couple of months later after I cooled down). I also found, with the new one, how to order a new cylinder, so I'll be doing that soon.

BTW, I brought 4 screw drivers back because I used them improperly. Walked in, laid them on the counter, guy looks at them, walks over to the tools, finds the replacements, rings them up, hands them to me, and I walk out the door. No problems, no issues, no conversation.

-- Rob
sk8kat1
silly me paid with cash .. and I just got off the phone with the national customer service -- they said same as the store -- new return policy -- no receipt no return / warranty honored

got any other brands of jacks that are good jacks that are .. reliable
WRX914
call Sears corporate offices.

I had a riding lawnmower that I used for 5 years. Had a problem with the cut quality, went to my local Sears... Was told "sorry". Called the corporate headquarters, told them my story and a brand new riding tractor was sitting in my driveway that week.
WRX914
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Feb 13 2006, 02:57 PM)
silly me paid with cash .. and I just got off the phone with the national customer service -- they said same as the store -- new return policy -- no receipt no return / warranty honored

got any other brands of jacks that are good jacks that are .. reliable

DAMNIT!!!

bastards.
dkos
They won't exchange it? I can understand their not giving you your money back without a receipt, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't exchange it. I'd ask for the store manager. Raise a stink. I do some work for Sears' advertising department, I'll ask around, if you want.

I think I bought that same floor jack over the summer...a package deal with two jack stands. It' still working fine...knock wood.
sk8kat1
yup that's the one came with two jacks and a creeper...

and nope not even an exchange because I don't have a receipt

I don't think I will try real hard to buy anything but the limetime grnty hand tools from them ever again ( but I say that now prob won't happen that way..)

DBCooper
Send this link to their national customer service manager, tell him that he just convinced the 5000 members here that there's no advantage to buying more expensive Sears tools compared to the cheapest Chinese import from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.

Maybe those importers will send him a thank you note or something.

And actually I have to say that Harbor Freight's been pretty reasonable with warranty exchanges I've had, even way after the fact.
TROJANMAN
by another one and return the used one with the new receipt (within 30 days) wink.gif

Kerrys914
agree.gif You tried to do the right thing..
Kargeek
I've had pretty good luck with Sears, I haven't tried returning a floor jack and now that they have changed their return policy, I wonder if I can exchange all of the screwdrivers I’ve used for chisels...

Recently I took my new to me BMW with polished M parallel 18" wheels in for a simple nail in the tire repair and the tech scratched and gouged my rim. So, I politely told them that that would be purchasing me a new factory 700.00 rim- and they did. All of a 20.00 nail repair…
DH
stock93
I had a problem with sears myself. We bought a 1/2 torque wrench from them several years ago. The lock for the handle that sets the adjustment broke. We took it back and they wouldn't warranty it. They said we had to have a receipt being that they changed them to one year warranty to prove that we bought it when they were still lifetime warrantied.

John
Brett W
Sears really needs to quit advertising their stuff as High quality American made tools. They are junk. I have a bunch of Craftsman stuff but I have learned there are much better options out there. Sears Screwdrivers are junk. The tips are way to soft and the Phillips angles are all wrong. The Wrenches feel like garbage and open up and slip on fasteners. They will be relegated to my junkyard bag. The Sockets aren't bad, but the Ratchets are JUNK. The tool boxes suck also. The Professional Series are decent but over priced.

Why Bother with the Sears Jack when it is the same one HF sells for 50$. Buy Hammers and such at HF, buy Jackstands from HF, buy Snap ON, SK, MAtco, MAC, or Cornwell for everything else.
seanery
QUOTE (stock93 @ Feb 13 2006, 07:33 PM)
I had a problem with sears myself. We bought a 1/2 torque wrench from them several years ago. The lock for the handle that sets the adjustment broke. We took it back and they wouldn't warranty it. They said we had to have a receipt being that they changed them to one year warranty to prove that we bought it when they were still lifetime warrantied.

John

well this sucks, I have a craftsman 1/2" torque wrench in my truck that needs to be replaced...looks like Im fuched. mad.gif
stock93
I hope you have a receipt.....

John
ninefourteener
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Feb 13 2006, 03:26 PM)
by another one and return the used one with the new receipt (within 30 days) wink.gif

agreed........

Hey..... you tried to be honest..... tried to trust they were a good company... and they let you down..... screw em.

buy another one....... return the old one.

make sure you photocopy the receipt....... that way you can even bring back the new one if you'd rather just get out from under it alltogether.

don't waste your time with corporate weenies, long letters, tactful phone calls... they screwed you...... screw em back.

I REFUSE to shop at the sears in Fairview Heights..... those dumbasses that work in the tool section wouldn't know how to find their own ass, much less a tool.

Last time I went there I was looking fot an impact screwdriver (the kind you hit with a hammer to twist off bolts) to get the rotors off the Acura....... the salesman told me there was no such thing anymore..... the whole tool was just "discontinued".

I bought an impact wrench...... got it home, it wouldn't even take off a lugnut. I called the store that night...... another rep told me "Uhhhhh, I don't know...... do you have it turned on?"

An air wrench folks....... "turned on"????

Dumbasses..... I hate Sears...... never again.... and I hope they read this post too..
sk8kat1
well I hate to here the bad stories from others -- but damn I am glad it is not just me that thinks that the once reputable sears craftsman brand is now turned to stromberg.gif ---

I will try the buy and swap but all in all I found those really nice jacks on PP for like $50 bucks cheaper w/ free shipping and they have a 5 year waranty and they are rebuildable

have a starting height of 3" and a max height of 19 .75 "

good floor jack -- screw sears!

finger.gif sears pissoff.gif
type47
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 13 2006, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (stock93 @ Feb 13 2006, 07:33 PM)

John

well this sucks, I have a craftsman 1/2" torque wrench in my truck that needs to be replaced...looks like Im fuched. mad.gif

when i worked for sears (go ahead, flame on...) in the tool dept (is it getting warm in here?), the torque wrenches were never lifetime warranty, only the hand tools. we watched the customers break the handles on their hammers on the curbs in the parking lot and then come in for a free lifetime warranty exchange. same thing with tape measures. i'm not tyring to explain sears or retail in general. i now work at homeboy depot (part time to finance my car habit rolleyes.gif i have a real job and other hobbies and kids in college, yada...). their air tools are lifetime warranty but make sure you read the fine print for the warranty, you don't just get an over the counter exchange as with sears HAND tools. even sears doesn't lifetime warranty their air tools. i just think retail has got to be the WORST job in life, just look at the AA post, what, is it like 11 pages long?

and i agree with the buy a new one and return the old one with the receipt. you tried to be up and up with them, they should have exchanged a CRAFTSMAN item.
TROJANMAN
this doesn't help you, but i've had the same 2.5 ton craftsman floor jack for 16 years. dry.gif
Joe Bob
Buy another one...wait a week return the crappy one. Keep a copy of the receipt for your records....if the new one fucks up too....ya still gotta receipt.

Not like your out any money....you gotta buy one anyways right?
John
Get a Dot Matrix Font and print your own damn reciept.
sk8kat1
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Feb 13 2006, 07:53 PM)
this doesn't help you, but i've had the same 2.5 ton craftsman floor jack for 16 years. dry.gif

but this is exactly the issue.... they used to make good quality tools now new items are questionable ...

and now that the tools are loosing quality they are tring to wash their hands of the resulting issues by finding new ways to not back these products that have become stromberg.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Feb 13 2006, 03:26 PM)

agree.gif
Porcharu
Yep it sucks at Sears. The jacks and many things are now "made in mainland China" crap like you can buy at any of the cheap ass big box stores. I looked for a good jack when I needed one (still do) and could only find $400 plus ones online. I need a 2 ton jack that will actually lift 2 tons to work on my big ass truck, the POS 4 ton jack I got at sears leaks but works. I still want a decent jack. I think I will just go ebay and get a 40 year old good ol' US made jack that still has 100 years of use left in it.
GTPatrick
The so called lifetime warranty for Sears tools was for their hand Craftsman hand tools only. Anything powered, electrically, gas, or hydraulic was usually for one year only. In other words, if it had moving parts other than a ratcheting socket handle, you were and are still out of luck. The name Craftsman on any tool did not guarantee that , that toold had a life time guarantee. It pays to RTFM and the fine print. blowup.gif Never assume anything when you buy it. jerkit.gif If it was still under the warranty of say 1 year, you still had to have the receipt. I found out myself about 15 years ago on a Craftsman power tool when I tried to return it. confused24.gif

You can also thank those ass holes stromberg.gif who broke their hammer handles on the curbs or other rip off schemes for this BS. Yack.gif They ripped off the stores and we the honest consumers have to pay for this BS. sheeplove.gif headbang.gif

Unfortunately sometimes tools break, abuse or no abuse they will break at the time you can least afford it. The only thing that is 100% guaranteed in life is that you will be screwed in divorce court. sheeplove.gif

headbang.gif confused24.gif
sk8kat1
if you are still looking for a good jack look here I posted a link earlier but they have different brands all looking really good and all appear to be rebuildable if something breaks...

floor jacks
NoEcm
QUOTE (GTPatrick @ Feb 14 2006, 12:25 AM)
You can  also thank those ass holes   stromberg.gif  who broke their hammer handles on the curbs or other rip off schemes for this BS. They ripped off the stores and we the honest consumers have to pay for this BS.   sheeplove.gif   headbang.gif

Ever hear about the 2 Sears customers that:

#1 Used his gas lawn mover for a hedge trimmer. I guess the guy started it and then grabbed the housing with his hands and raised it up to cut the top of his hedge. (this was prior to lawn mowers having the safety lever on the handle). Sued when he lost a couple of fingers. Claimed that the lawn mower was not designed safe enough.

#2 Man and woman trying to do something on top of a table saw they shouldn't have been. Not wearing any pants or underwear he got sliced pretty badly through the butt by the blade when she accidently tripped the on-off switch. Funny thing, the blade was below the top of the table saw and one of his bare cheeks was squished through the blade slot. You'll have to imagine yourself what they were doing at the time. Sued because the safety switch was not safe enough.

I never heard the outcome of either case.
dlo914
Other than purchasing tools from Sears/Home Depot. I'm biased to my workplace (Autozone) the tools are quite durable, and they all have a lifetime gurantee. No receipt is ever needed for exchange. And since i get a discount i dont bother going anywhere else. Just recently we had a special on a 2Ton floor jack + 2 jackstand combo for $26.99.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.