Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best speakers for the best price?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Evening folks,

I know EVERYONE has an opinion on this matter, and I'm bound to have 1000 different opinions on this matter... but I figured I'd ask anyway..

I removed all the components from the Acura before I sold it, except the door speakers. They were Pioneer 2-way speakers...... not bad, but I'd like better this time around.

This is what I have:

Pioneer P-8300M Head unit (very nice).... very happy
Sony XPLOD 600W 4-channel amp...... very happy

Sony XPLOD 1200W 2-channel amp..... very happy
Two MTX 6000 10-inch subs...... very happy.

Here's what I need:

Two 6.5-inch component speakers (for the front doors)
Two 5.25-inch non-component speakers (for the rear doors)

I'm looking to spend about $200 - $250 for the speakers I need. I've looked allover eBay, and of course everyone CLAIMS that their speakers are the best, but I'd like to hear some opinions on this matter.

I know MBQuart makes great speakers (or has a gret reputation anyway), but there's all these different "series''", and I have no idea whats good and worthwhile, and what isn't. I've heard Boston Acoustic makes good speakers as well... I have no idea though.

I want a GOOD, quality sound.... capable of handling my amplifier.... capable of cranking it up when I want, or just having a good quality low volume when my wife/kid are in the car.

$250.00 max... whats my best bet?

Thanks everyone.
cbenitah
Depends on what you are looking for..
I went with a pure sound, I have been working with high end stereo equipment for several years back home in sweden.. (I sold 2 speakers, cd, amp for 65 000 us dollars) Anyhow.. working there made me very aware of how crappy speakers actually can make your hearing bad.. You can injure the (dont know the english word for it, the thing inside your ear) well, I went with BOSTON ACOUSTICS speakers.. they give me just that, a clear and untouched sound.. but you have to give them a good speaker wire since thats where the most of the loss of quality is at.. Also try to get a seperate tweeter since that will enhance your music experience.. get the 1" one..

thats my .02 about speakers...

(the first thing I actually knew something about here on the site) smilie_pokal.gif
motorhead
I've run alot of different speakers over the years, but so far my favorites are the ones in my truck right now. Diamond audio 6-1/2" component set. The crossovers are even set up to tie the rear mids in with a built in 10 dB attenuation for rear fill. Can't recall how much they were though. I'm thinking about $300.

I've never cared much for MB Quart. Too bright for me.

I know Polk Audio makes some affordable separates, and I have always been impressed with the clarity of Polk tweeters. Boston Acoustics are tough to beat also. Had 2 sets in my last Jetta and loved them.

bottom line is this: What sounds golden to me might sound like crap to you. Take a few favorite CDs to your local audio dealer and listen to them. Buy what sounds good to you. You're gonna be the one that has to live with them. beerchug.gif
jasons
I have MB Quarts in my BMW and they are fantastic. But, I think they are the "Q" series which run more like $500, they were in there when I got the car. I have used infinity reference series, they are ok for cheap. I have used CDT Audio, great speakers that can be had relatively cheap. I have heard the alpine type R stuff is decent, no experience myself. I would recommend the CDT's. I used there CL-61's, but I think there is a newer version now.

Check out the sounddomain forums, more info than you want to know about car stereo. Your question has probably been answered a hundred times there.

www.sounddomain.com

You say your amp is 600w 4 channel. Thats probably 75w X 4 at 4ohms, so you want speaks that handle no less than 75w.
tat2dphreak
Polk, MBQuart and BA are all good... my money, MBQ all the way...
Porcharu
No speakers are the best speakers in a car. Ahh just a little wind noise, mechanical stuff and tires. I have enjoyed this everyday in the daily beater for the last 4 years. I just can't bring myself to put any kind of stereo in my daily car. mueba.gif
BTW I am a big time music lover - at home.
brer
Diamond Audio

I put them in my Outback after trying some MB's
you should definitely find a place you can listen to some.

HIghly recommend.
Need amplifiers.

SLKWrx
Listen, if you can stretch your budget, like grer said, get a set of Diamond Audio Hex S600S 6.5" components and you'll never look back. The rears are not really necessary with those in the front but I have a set of JL audio's in the rear of mine. The hex's are just the smoothest sounding 6.5's I've ever heard.
ninefourteener
What do you think of these????:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-D361-6-5...1QQcmdZViewItem
(for the front)

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-DIAMOND-AUDIO-D35...1QQcmdZViewItem
(for the rear)
SLKWrx
I have not heard those, though I don't know if I dropped below $200 on any of my speaker pairs. As for the rear speakers, unless you carry around a full car load often, the only thing rear speakers in a wrx do is screw up the sound stage and make the music sound "messy"

If you are the only one in the car normally, take your 4ch amp, bridge it to 2 ch, get a pair of the S600S's and spend some money on sound deadening. You'll be in heaven.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.