Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mirror housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbenitah
since you all know I'm putting 935 mirrors on my car, and may need to do a sort of mirror housing like newer cars have... any ideas about this issue?

here is a pic on what i mean

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Aaron Cox
it'll look kinda cheezy because you can see the adhesive from the inside....

maybe mount it to the top of the door at an angle......
alpha434
Aaron's right, but you could put in a trim piece on the inside to cover that.

Just an alternative.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 13 2006, 08:32 PM)
it'll look kinda cheezy because you can see the adhesive from the inside....

maybe mount it to the top of the door at an angle......

im looking at something that will cover both sides.. so let say the top of the mirror to go on the back side of the window, so you dont see inside the mirror.. I will screw it to the top of the door, just further than the old ones on there right now...
alpha434
I'm doing wink mirrors on my car. No sides.

You have an almost full view, anyway. And then there isn't anything on the sides to deal with. Extra drag anyway. wink.gif
cbenitah
these mirrors wont stick out at all though... thats why they are so beautiful wub.gif when im going 67 on the highway at least i dont have any mirrors interfering me trying to hit 80 ahha
alpha434
....trying to hit 80?!?

At sea level, that really shouldn't be hard. It's the rev limit in 5th that's hard. Mirrors won't really make a difference until 150+ anyway. And you'll need a 6 for that.

I'm just doing no mirrors because I'm a sucker for smooth sides. To each his own, I suppose.

cbenitah
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 13 2006, 08:48 PM)
....trying to hit 80?!?

At sea level, that really shouldn't be hard. It's the rev limit in 5th that's hard. Mirrors won't really make a difference until 150+ anyway. And you'll need a 6 for that.

I'm just doing no mirrors because I'm a sucker for smooth sides. To each his own, I suppose.

ar15.gif

guess my swedish joke didnt come across over the mountain there.. i can hit 80 just fine! It was a joke since im not concern about it at my speeds.. ITS JUST FOR LOOKS
alpha434
Haha. I know. To each his own. Right?

It'll really fit in with the 916 front bumpers.
TimT
You do know you cant see scheiss out of 935 mirrors!!...

935s are so fast that they didnt worry about being passed... (well not really)

BUT 935 mirrors SUCK!!!!

you can make them work by buying some convex "objects appear closer" glass and cutting it to fit the 935 frame... BTDT
alpha434
935 outside mirrors were just there to get around a rule requiring outside mirrors. I don't personally care to see behind me. It's up to the other guy to pass me. I'll worry about passing the guy in front of me.

Where do you buy raw convex glass?
cbenitah
QUOTE (TimT @ Feb 13 2006, 09:08 PM)

BUT 935 mirrors SUCK!!!! (to you but not to me)

like i said before.. i dont care if i see a car behind me, im planning on being the fastest out there.. not really.

i like how they look! thats all.. i know i will see the inside of my roof.. BUT THEY LOOK GOOD (to me) maybe not to you or anyone else, since not many uses them..

i just need some ideas of how to get them to look good on the inside.. but i guess i need to figure iot out..
McMark
Chris you're almost as tough on Christopher as everybody who jumped on that guy who was trying to make Ti connecting rods. rolleyes.gif I guess what goes around comes around.

He said he's doing it for the looks. 914 mirrors aren't great to begin with so it's not really like he's taking a step backwards.

I say pick up a set and see how they attach. You'd probably be best to make some fiberglass pieces to cover up the attachment between the mirror and the glass. wink.gif
alpha434
I'm not trying to be hard on him.

He's doing things differently. I'm a big advocate of the "914x" project.

But what is Cristopher planning on doing for the dash, and interior trim? That would be helpful if all he needs is an opinion on the trim piece on the interior.
cbenitah
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 13 2006, 09:17 PM)
Chris you're almost as tough on Christopher as everybody who jumped on that guy who was trying to make Ti connecting rods. rolleyes.gif I guess what goes around comes around.

He said he's doing it for the looks. 914 mirrors aren't great to begin with so it's not really like he's taking a step backwards.

I say pick up a set and see how they attach. You'd probably be best to make some fiberglass pieces to cover up the attachment between the mirror and the glass. wink.gif

thanks,
I dont mind that much though, let people say what they want, its your car right? and yea, my 914 mirrors are worthless.. havent used them since i got the car, they just sit there..

I bought my mirrors today at a local shop in SD.. I love them! they are getting paint on saturday! just wanted to see if anyone had a better idea about geting them on than i already had

i think we should all meet and have that kumbaja session after all
McMark
I'm glad you have a thick skin. I just had to call out the irony.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 13 2006, 09:25 PM)
I'm glad you have a thick skin. I just had to call out the irony.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif

if internet is working when i get home I'll post pics of my new love wub.gif

i will do it here and in my project thread...

irony/sarcasm huge part of the swedish culture.. haha
alpha434
kumbaja?
cbenitah
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 13 2006, 09:31 PM)
kumbaja?

You asked for it

Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya,
Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya,
Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya,
someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaja.
Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya,
Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya,
someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s sleeping Lord, Kumbaya,
someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
alpha434
Thats what I thought. kumbaja.

Don't do that again.

What have you learned on G.E.?

Thread jack! HIYA!!! ph34r.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 13 2006, 09:42 PM)
Thats what I thought. kumbaja.

Don't do that again.

What have you learned on G.E.?

Thread jack! HIYA!!! ph34r.gif

hijacked.gif hijacked.gif hijacked.gif hijacked.gif

all i wanted was some help for my mirrors...

haha, guess others who reads this is thinking WTF.gif who are those guys..

its all his fault i swear!
alpha434
Everyone already knows who I am. I'm the 19 year-old wise-ass from colorado. Everyone knows you. You're that damn foriegn kid. We'll work well together. All we need is some hot girl and some idiot klepto badass.

We'll call it That 70's porsche show.
Rand
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 13 2006, 08:35 PM)

Just an alternative.

I had hope. Alpha made sense with that post. Alpha+!!!

Sorry it went downhill from there.

While I like the controversial "wink" mirror (another topic where I actually have something in common with Alpha!), it does NOT substitute for side mirrors!! Especially where a driver's side mirror is required by law.

If you mount to the triangle window, picking up a piece of plexi or whatever from a plastic place makes it easy. A search here will turn up some useful history on that.

The other thing to be aware of is that on the passenger side, the bar between the wing/triangle window and the main window interferes with mirrors mounted on the triangle. So on the passenger side you'll need a mirror with adequate spacing from the door. Be sure to experiment with it to make sure visibility is what you expect.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 13 2006, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 13 2006, 08:35 PM)

Just an alternative.

I had hope. Alpha made sense with that post. Alpha+!!!

Sorry it went downhill from there.

While I like the controversial "wink" mirror (another topic), it does not substitute for side mirrors. Especially where a driver's side mirror is required by law.

If you mount to the triangle window, picking up a piece of plexi or whatever from a plastic place makes it easy. A search here will turn up some useful history.

The other thing to be aware of is that on the passenger side, the bar between the wing/triangle window and the main window interferes with mirrors mounted on the triangle. So on the passenger side you'll need a mirror with adequate spacing from the door. Be sure to experiment with it to make sure visibility is what you expect.

yea i noticed that it went downhill..

thanks for a good post..

do you mean for visibility? or do you mean that its a different angle to the window? I did halfmount it and I will see behind the car on both mirrors. (the glass do adjust to an angle i you want, pretty clever design in them) although it will not be as avarage joe expects.. and its a tiny piece of glass from the beginning..
Rand
Most of it is your personal preference. But just be sure the position of your passenger side mirror (particularly if mounted to the triangle glass area) provides adequate visibility on that side. Often when a mirror is mounted on the passenger-side triangle, the bar between the triangle and the main window interferes with visibility.

beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
rand - you kill me.... laugh.gif
Rand
drunk.gif
cbenitah
finally home, scart ride home.. my headlights started to blink.. and turn off and come on again.. anyone had this problem.. enough with that

here are my new mirrors

user posted image

notice the key chain drunk.gif rocking nana.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 13 2006, 11:03 PM)
finally home, scart ride home.. my headlights started to blink.. and turn off and come on again.. anyone had this problem..

clean out your relays (or replace them) wink.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 13 2006, 08:42 PM)
I'm doing wink mirrors on my car. No sides.

You have an almost full view, anyway. And then there isn't anything on the sides to deal with.

if you are going to drive on the same streets as me, please make sure you use your side mirrors. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.