Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alum frt window trim best removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
gotta pull 2 windshields. too cold right now and i don't want to crack the windshield, one set of trim is very nice. clue me in to the tricks guys. one set is held on with screws so i don't care about that one. thanks.

k
r_towle
foley makes and sells the right tool for this.

www.tangerineracing.com

Rich
boxstr
That is the secret, having the right tool. It makes the difference, whether you have great looking trim once removed or a bunch a scrap metal.
CCLINBTDT
736conver
I have a small inch inch plastic putty knife and I start with a lower corner piece. It usually pops right off. I am sure there are other tools but I have yet to damage any trim.
736conver
Here is the piece they are talking about.
jonwatts
Not to take away from Chris' tool revenue, but I think you could do a good job with a plastic bondo spreader cut to the right shape. I don't know if you can avoid bending the trim a little bit, but that's not what I consider ruining it since it will bend right back. At least that's what I'm hoping with my slightly bent trim.

And of course I'd practice on the junk trim first.

drgchapman
Kevin, here is another tool I found on the board some months ago. Forgot who posted it..
drgchapman
drawing of how to....
Trekkor
When I removed my trim for paint I was told it was near impossible to do so without ruining the plastic retaining clips under the glass.
I was sucessful in doing both, removing without any damage to the trim or clips and reinstalling the trim.

If you use some sort of small pry tool and work slowly ( 10 minutes ) . I used a screwdriver.

Slide the top trim piece that spans both to one side or the other.
Gently lift the trim over the first plastic clip.
It you carefully rock the trim back and forth it will pop off each clip without damage.

Before putting the trims back on the car, I cleaned them with 0000 steel wool and bent the trim to better fit on the plastic clips. It fits better now than it did before clap56.gif

It's all about taking your time on this one wink.gif

KT
McMark
You were told it was unlikely that the clips would retain the trim at high speed. The clips almost always look fine we'll see what happens when you start hitting the big track on a windy day. Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones that has the trim stay in place.
rhodyguy
i have a whole set of new clips rarin' to go. yes, i will ruin the hard attached set as pratice. thanks guys.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.