Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Need some advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
madd_dogg_914
I have been a cell phone salesman for about 6 years now. But I have come to a point in my life where I look around me and everyone I work with is kids (I am 26, so I am sure a lot of you consider me a kid, but I dont feel like one) I want to buy a house, get maried, and have a family. The most I have ever made is about $50K/yr. which doesn't cut it in California. I have been offered a position selling cars through Lithia Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Santa Rosa, Ca. I dont know what to do. I am sure the money will be better than cell phones, but I have never sold cars, know nothing about it, and dont rightly know if I will like it. I was hoping that some of our numerous members here might be able to give me a little advise. I like selling, I like greeting customers, getting to know them a little. I have great people skills (so people tell me). I think I am going to take the job. I have a 6 month guarantee of $2500/mo. even if I cant sell, which is about what I am making at my new job, so I am no worse for wear. I guess I am just looking for a little advise, one way or the other to help me make a better decision. I have read a lot of forums about salesman, but I know that people here will be honest with me. Just let me have it. O, BTW, If I take the job any 914 clubbers will automatically get discounts from me biggrin.gif (Shameless plug! HAHA)

Thank You 914 Club, for always being here for me when I need someone to talk to.

-Chris
type47
do it now while you are relatively unincumbered. it's harder if you have a spouse and kids. get the experience ....
TINCAN914
If you don't take the risk you gain nothing, but it seems if you have a quarantee of six months salary until you build a customer base, then you will be in good shape...
Go for it!!! Now's the time, not married, no kids...
blitZ
Sounds like an opportunity. If you don't like it, you can always do something else.
boxstr
Sounds like you may be a natural for this. I have alway s been into customer service, that is main reason I like what I am doing. I also liked real estate for 20 years, but it got to be a little to sue happy for me.
If you have a guaranteed salary then you should at least give it a try, you can always move on to something else, at least you gave it a try.
Good luck. Keep use posted.
CCLINSALESRUS
rick 918-S
I've just been offered another position too. I'm really on the fence. When you get kids, house, wife, and everything that goes with it, it's much harder to make the change. Sales is Sales! You'll meet a lot more resistance selling cars over cell phones service, but When you close the deal you'll feel it like a drug. beer.gif Good luck!
GaroldShaffer
I say go for it, you don't know unless you try. I know sometimes car salesmen get a bad rap, but a good one can make good $$.

A little story, I always bought Ford Trucks. Back in 1988 when I was 22 I went to several different dealrs looking for a truck, most treated me like a stupid kid, maybe I was, but I had $$ for a new truck. I stopped in at this Ford dealer, the salesman in his late 50's treated me right. For the next 15yrs I always went back to him and bought my new trucks.
MecGen
You Know...
I've been in the car businees a long time...many of the realy good sales people, moved on to better things $$$. Car sales has become a trade in itself, lots of paperwork and calculations, lots of bank work, finacing etc...
type.gif
It is a excellent way to get a real general knowledge of the whole sales thing... blink.gif It is an excellent addition to a resume.
I would realy think about it... it might be a good door opener for future job interests, and a minimum, you might realy like it.
rocking nana.gif

Good luck and +Karma

Later

beer.gif
johnmhudson111
I am going to work in a dealership (GMC/Pontiac/Mazda) in about a week, going to do internet sales for them. I think that if you have people skills and enjoy cars (and don't mind the hours) then car sales can be a great deal. I think you will enjoy it and I say go for it.

By the way, make sure they don't want you to pay for training. I was going to what I thought was a sales job last week and they tried to pull a number on me. I went to a different chain and they agreed to hire me and pay me while I am trained. I only got $2000 sad.gif
vintage914racer
Go for it. You're young and don't have much to lose. Plus guaranteed $$ is a plus. I work in sales at a Porsche/Audi dealer and never had any guaranteed income. Plus if they train you that even better. My experience is that they throw you out there and see if you can swim.
bernbomb914
I did it for 12 years. started in 1960. It is the best selling experiance you can get if you work hard. If you can sell cars over a period of time you can sell anything. I have been a commision sales person for 50 years and it has got me everything a high school grad. could expect. It is the best way to acheive your goals.

Bernie
McMark
A good friend of mine is the buyer for Lithia. He places the orders for the cars. From what we've talked about the "attitude" of Lithia makes sense and I like what he's told me about where Lithia is going. They seem like a good company to work for. Go for it.
anthony
We just had a car sales topic.

Personally, I think car sales is a dead end street. Sell pharmaceuticals or anything on the corporate level and you'll be looking at $100K minimum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.