Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: camber specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plymouth37
what are the stock front and rear caster and camber specs on a 73 2.0 914 in degrees? thanks!
WRX914
will this work for you?

SirAndy
QUOTE (WRX914 @ Feb 14 2006, 10:58 AM)
will this work for you?

a link would have been better, this way, the pictures will work too ...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/h...home_toe_in.htm

cool_shades.gif Andy

PS: the only thing i dislike about that article is the fact that all the measurements are in standard and not metric ...
plymouth37
Thanks guys, i was looking for somthing a little more basic like -1.5 degrees rear camber - .75 front camber anyone have somthing like this?
Joe Ricard
To answer your original question.
Simply what ever your tires will support.

In detail, hard street tires will not benefit from lots of camber the rubber will not grip enough to deflect the sidewall enough to plant the full tread on the pavement.

Soft tires require more camber ie. NEW ASO5 Hoosiers can use 2 degrees negative and maybe more if the surface has grip in it.

So what do you want to do with your car?

Stock alignment specs were written when tire technology was 165/75-15 Rolly Poley whimpy no grip tires.
plymouth37
agressive street driving kumho 255-35-17 rear, 205-40-17 front. I am having the car aligned by some dumbass that just wants some simple numbers (in degrees) so he won't get confused.
WRX914
QUOTE (plymouth37 @ Feb 14 2006, 12:56 PM)
agressive street driving kumho 255-35-17 rear, 205-40-17 front

He calls it aggressive....

more like holy shit, I am gunna die!

laugh.gif poke.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE (WRX914 @ Feb 14 2006, 12:59 PM)

laugh.gif poke.gif

I would rather die going 200mph when I'm 22 than 2mph when I'm 90.
Joe Ricard
I would start out at -1.5 front and -1.7 rear. Them tires can develop some good grip and will DEFINATELY generate some brown stains in the passenger seat.

Uh just remember don't lift in the middle of the corner. wink.gif
If ya start the ass a sliding plant your right foot on the gas. or stay on the porch while the big dogs are playing.

J P Stein
I have a rule or 2.
The only "dumbass" working on my car is me. biggrin.gif
I get that labor cheep. Anybody I need to pay has their shit together.
Dave_Darling
OK, this is a novel approach, but I'm going to try actually answering the question that was asked... blink.gif

Stock alignment settings:

Front Camber 0 deg (+- 20 min)
Front Caster 6 deg (+- 30 min)
Front Toe 20 min (+- 10 min) toe-IN
Rear Camber -30 min (+- 20 min)
Rear Caster N/A
Rear Toe 15 min toe-IN

Note, there are 60 minutes in a degree, so "20 min" is 1/3 of 1 degree.

Most of us use alignments that are more aggressive than stock--which mostly means more negative camber all the way 'round.

--DD
Joe Ricard
barf.gif
man I can not imagine how crappy a 914 would handle with these settings on todays grippy tires. And considering the size and quality of the tire being discussed stock settings would be LESS than optimal. Which is why I steered clear of stock settings.
blitZ
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 15 2006, 04:11 AM)
barf.gif
man I can not imagine how crappy a 914 would handle with these settings on todays grippy tires. And considering the size and quality of the tire being discussed stock settings would be LESS than optimal. Which is why I steered clear of stock settings.

So, what settings would you use? Also, could the same home alignment method on the PP forum work on the rear? I understand it requires shims for the rear alignment. Anyone have a how to on getting your rear end aligned?

This is good stuff. I want to learn to do my own.
Joe Ricard
pm me with your email address.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 15 2006, 04:11 AM)
barf.gif
man I can not imagine how crappy a 914 would handle with these settings on todays grippy tires.   And considering the size and quality of the tire being discussed stock settings would be LESS than optimal. Which is why I steered clear of stock settings.

I agree. I dont think you want stock settings or a dumbass doing the alignment.
WRX914
QUOTE (plymouth37 @ Feb 14 2006, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (WRX914 @ Feb 14 2006, 12:59 PM)

laugh.gif poke.gif

I would rather die going 200mph when I'm 22 than 2mph when I'm 90.

Thats my boy!!!!

Dana, your the best
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Feb 15 2006, 09:54 AM)
I agree. I dont think you want stock settings or a dumbass doing the alignment.

Granted (pun not intended!), but the question was about stock settings.

Most of us put in more negative camber. Some a whole lot more, some not so much more.

Depends on what kind of driving is going to be done, the rest of the suspension setup, etc.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.