Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's interested in 300-400 hp mid-engine gearbox?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
I found a supplier for Renault UN1 gearboxes set up for 300-400hp 914 V8 Chevy or Ford conversions. A club member is fitting one to a -6 so that is possible too. Expensive shipping from Europe has been the limiting factor but a container and volume orders will eliminate that.

Here is info from the builder:
These pictures show a Ford 347ci 450hp engine couple to the UN1 gearbox. The Adaption method is similar for the Chevy 350. The shots show the plate mounted and the gearbox bellhousing mated. Driveshafts mated to the special output adaptors made for the Renault outsplines. We use a reduced size flywheel, and special A P Racing clutch that uses a heavy duty race bearing for operation. All parts have been fitted to over 300 GT40 replicas and very tried and tested.

1) how much would you budget for this conversion?
2) What are your concerns (serious comments please)?
rick 918-S
Were's the starter go?

I want to pay $ 350.00 for a ready to use box. laugh.gif

How about gear sets? Source, supply, ease of installation, etc. cost...
SirAndy
replacement parts available? for tranny, clutch, axles etc. ...

how many gears? ratios? LSD?
idea.gif Andy
nocones
Can it be done for less than a 930?
Is it already oriented for mid engine?
Where does the shift linkage connect? At the rear?
Like Andy said, replacment parts/ratios/LSD?

Definetly interested if it looks like a viable, and cost effective alternative to the beefier, more expensive Porsche transaxles.

I figure my 915 won't last forever. wink.gif
maf914
I had mentioned this type Renault tranny on another tranny conversion thread. It is used on Renault's larger V-6 cars (sedans and the old Alpine A610), but these models were not imported into the US so parts are probaly hard to come by. The last Renault the US got was the Fuego 4 cylinder. How about Canada, Mexico or Central America?
johannes
Beware no Stock Renault or Alpine never exceded 250 HP ...
Doesn't mean the box can receive more ...

Specs in french

Manuelle,
5 rapports,
type UN1.
Contenance 3L. (lub capacity)
Rapports de pont 3,44:1 (Final)
1er rapport (nombre de dents) 3,36:1 (first gear)
2e rapport (nombre de dents) 2,06:1
3e rapport (nombre de dents) 1,38:1
4e rapport (nombre de dents) 0,96:1
5e rapport (nombre de dents) 0,76:1
Brett W
Check the GT40 forums and see what they say about them. FOr the moeny your are better off with a 930 or Audi gear box. If you don't abuse it the Audi can take 300+ Ftlbs. Plus you can use 930 CV joints.

http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0
Andyrew
If it has better gear ratio's. I think I'd go 1500.

Its probably more... but thats my spice.

I've got a new job opening in the summer, and i'll be able to afford it..

You know im interested felix biggrin.gif

Andrew

(I rather want to have 400hp for wcc07, maybe even a turbo..)

My concerns are gear ratio's, upgradable strength, mounting points, cv's, clutch/flywheel assembly's, and shift linkage (possible cable?)

andys
It is the gear ratio's that make this transaxle attractive for V8 use. There are four codes to look for: UN1-013, UN1-05, and UN1-07. These are all Euro versions except for the R5 Turbo. UN1-013 1st 3.36, 2nd 2.05, 3rd 1.38, 4th 1.03, 5th 0.82, diff 3.44. I have a friend that has one in a GTD GT40 replica. Owned it 10+ years without issue. The guys over in Europe have quite a bit of track time using the Renault transaxle. Down side: Few resources here in the US. BTW, this trans can be found on the Eagle Medallion sold here in the US through the now defunct AMC; probably at give away prices in the yards. Don't know the codes for those cars. Only way to identify them, is a stamped sheet metal tag on one of the case bolts, which usually disappears after the first service. Didn't DeLorean's and Lotus' use this trans as well?

Andys
BIGKAT_83
This is from the GT40 web site that Brett posted the link to. Uses a auto trans and a ford rear end. I like it kind of out of the box thinking. Good for 1000hp
user posted image
user posted image

Bob
Mueller
that is sweet...so I take it the 9" diff is open and not connected side to side???

the sound it makes with those huge belts will be "interesting" wacko.gif
Andyrew
thats a sick setup!

way to much work for me though!! to much geometry to get wrong... biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 14 2006, 03:44 PM)
thats a sick setup!

way to much work for me though!! to much geometry to get wrong... biggrin.gif

at 1st I was thinking that a broke or slipped belt could be disasterous, but it really wouldn't be too much different than a CV or axle breaking.....
neo914-6
This gearbox is by no means a ZF or 930 equivalent, especially if you have over $9k to spend. Ask MikeP what he spent recently. The Renault is a proven alternative to a 901 and 915. The 915 cost is near the 930 when modified properly for mid-engine.

Price: TBD but less than modified 915 and 930
Taller gearing than 915
Bigger clutches
5-speeds
Cable shifter
911 CV flanges available, axle length TBD
A 500hp+ internal kit available for more $$
Parts available from Europe
Case halves unbolt longitudinally, I have a service manual

Yes Andys, the were equipped in Renault Turbo1's, Deloreans, and later V8 Lotus'.

More info to follow...
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 14 2006, 06:36 PM)
that is sweet...so I take it the 9" diff is open and not connected side to side???

the sound it makes with those huge belts will be "interesting"  :wacko:

The diff in the picture is a LSD locker type. It has a auto trans with paddle shifter.In the thread they said the total length was no longer than a g50 transaxle. I work with 2000hp electric motors that drive belts like that a they are not loud at all.

Bob
Mr.C
I wonder if they are belts you would find on a Harley? I really like that setup. smiley_notworthy.gif
Maltese Falcon
If the Renault QC is anything like it was on their Turbo 2; oil pump, shift linkage ( problem areas), and if getting said replacement parts were easy ...then no problem. But there just isn't any spare parts support here. My friend in Hawaii had to wait endlessly for Turbo 2 items and pay$$$.
Has anyone here tried a G50 in their conversion ? I abuse mine daily with 400 bhp and heavy loads ...it works good for me.
Marty
bondo
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Feb 14 2006, 07:00 PM)
If the Renault QC is anything like it was on their Turbo 2; oil pump, shift linkage , and getting said replacement parts easily...no problem. But there just isn't any spare parts support here. My friend in Hawaii had to wait endlessly for Turbo 2 items and pay$$$.
Has anyone here tried a G50 in their conversion ? I abuse mine daily with 400 bhp and heavy loads ...it works good for me.
Marty

The diff in the G50 can't be flipped, so it has to be run upside down in a 914. That leads to either low ground clearance (unless you go dry sump) or really steep CV angles. It's also too long to fit comfortably with a V8 in front of it.
alpha434
I'm in if someone else does it first...
ajracer
Felix and others:

Just thought it would be worth mentioning what I have already done with
a Boxster Tranny and make some comments regarding other options.
In my case I am running a Late Model Chevy V-8 (1995 350 cuin. LT-1)
in front of my 1998 Boxster tranny.

See Link: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=24052&hl=
boxster ("Project 914-LT1")

It had many challenges but I did then and still believe that the end
product would be a great shifting, excellent gearing and dependable
transmission. At much less the cost of a 930 tranny. Mind you it is not a
strong, but very sweet to drive with the stock Boxster cable shifter.

I decided upon pioneering new ground after purchasing an Aluminum
915 tranny and considering all the associated costs; researched the 930
tranny and ZF Pantera tranny. But I was not planning to ever build the
V8 for over 450 HP and I figured IF the 901 tranny which was built for
only 100 HP could handle 300HP if not abused, then a Boxster tranny
(which was twenty five years newer, with better engineering, better
materials and modern technology) which was built for 220 HP should
also be able to handle 660 HP (3x the power) Seeing how I was only
planning to run around 350 - 450 HP I felt very comfortable making this
decision. I also spoke with some long time Porsche racers and mechanics
who also felt the Boxster would be a great tranny for the 914 V-8.
Thus may decision and commitment to the project last winter. The vehicle
was only mechanically completed late in the Fall and I did take several
local trips to check out this awesome conversion. Tranny works great
(but minor cooling issues were still be sorted before the snow and cold arrived).

It was a custom project, in which case after purchasing the tranny for
$ 2,000 including complete cable shifter set-up; designed and had my
own custom flywheel built and balanced $750; built adapter plate $400;
Pilot Bearing/spacer $ 150; Gear Reduction Starter/Ring gear set-up
including custom mounts $ 600; Kevlar Clutch Disc/Pressure Plate $750
PLUS tranny mounts; custom axles, Porsche C/V, etc. etc., etc, When it
is all said and done just the tranny conversion alone would total about
$ 5 - 6,000. Well not that it is completed; I can at least begin to enjoy
it before I decide to move ahead with a Boxster-S Six Speed tranny
conversion. (Yes the tranny's are different, but the same engineering
approach would be used to address and solve the challenges of running
the Six Speed. )

Anyway I am very pleased with the conversion and only time and abuse
will tell how strong or how long it will actually last,. But hopefully within
the next year I will get to run some street, solo, track and other events
to "check" it out. In the meantime happy motoring and all the best to the
teener community and those still “resting” on jack stands !

Allan
ajracer
Couple of photos of the Boxster tranny instrallation

neo914-6
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 14 2006, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Feb 14 2006, 07:00 PM)
If the Renault QC is anything like it was on their Turbo 2; oil pump, shift linkage , and getting said replacement parts easily...no problem. But there just isn't any spare parts support here. My friend in Hawaii had to wait endlessly for Turbo 2 items and pay$$$.
Marty

The diff in the G50 can't be flipped, so it has to be run upside down in a 914. That leads to either low ground clearance (unless you go dry sump) or really steep CV angles. It's also too long to fit comfortably with a V8 in front of it.

Marty,

The Turbo 1 was mid-engine with this UN1 model gearbox. The Turbo 2 was front engine, different model gearbox.

I only know of one person who used a G50 for a very short period of time in a 914 tube framed race car so fit in a 914 is still undetermined. Who cares if you have the tail cover sticking out? laugh.gif

Royce,
I have "read" you can flip the R&P but haven't found the place that can do it yet. I have seen one reasonably mounted upside down. I've also read these are ~100 lbs heavier.

smdubovsky
Bondo(Royce) is right, You cant flip a G50 R&P. Its a hypoid which operates on non intersecting axes (I think the pinion is "below" the ring, but it could be the other way around). Flipping The R&P over would effective move the pinion 'above' the ring and the gears wont even mesh. You either need someone to make a custom R&P ($$$ but not impossible) or flip the whole tranny over.

SMD

Maltese Falcon
Allan, that is great progress that you are making on the type 986 gearbox wink.gif This thread is very informative--learn sumptin new everyday !
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.