Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly OT: Is it illegal to ship airbag wheel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
Looking at buying a used airbag wheel for my 944. Anyone know if its illegal to ship an airbag? ph34r.gif
GWN7
nothing under Greyhound's terms says you can't

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/terms/
jimkelly
somewhere in that system is compressed air - that compressed air vessel would be governed by hazardous matl shipping rules I'd bet. Jim

SLITS
It has to be shipped as a HAZMAT / Explosive item.

1.) Unless you have taken the Federal training course (UPS, FEDEX, Common Carrier, etc), you are not allowed to fill out the paperwork required for ground or air shipments. They will be glad to let you take it for about $500. You can find it online for about $150.

That said, there are those that can ship it for you, but it's gonna cost a fair penny. You just have to find them.

That said, if you don't declare what it is and don't get caught........, but if they inspect the package....Hello Bubba.

SLITS
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Feb 14 2006, 05:58 PM)
somewhere in that system is compressed air - that compressed air vessel would be governed by hazardous matl shipping rules I'd bet. Jim

Compressed Nitrogen - approx 1.9 ounce cylinder
GTPatrick
Those airbag steering wheels may be considered an explosive device because of the firing mechanism. And the CO2 or whatever cartridge may be considered an hazardous device too. confused24.gif

Check with the shippers, UPS, USPS,DHL , etc. to see how one would ship that restricted article . Also , even if it has been fired/blown , it may still be considered a restricted article. All of these shipping rules come under federal guidelines, rules and regulations. So If you ship it anyway and they find out, well you have broken a US Federal Law and they are not a too forgiving people to deal with. idea.gif With this bogus Patriot Act, well you definitely may have stepped into some stromberg.gif so watch out. type.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Feb 14 2006, 05:57 PM)
nothing under Greyhound's terms says you can't

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/terms/

Tell them it's an airbag and see what answer you get. I have forgotten what the UN number is for it, as I will never ship one again.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Feb 14 2006, 04:58 PM)

Naah. No compressed air. It does contain an explosive, though. The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 14 2006, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Feb 14 2006, 05:58 PM)
somewhere in that system is compressed air - that compressed air vessel would be governed by hazardous matl shipping rules I'd bet.  Jim

Compressed Nitrogen - approx 1.9 ounce cylinder

From "How Stuff Works": "The air bag's inflation system reacts sodium azide (NaN3) with potassium nitrate (KNO3) to produce nitrogen gas. Hot blasts of the nitrogen inflate the air bag."

No compressed gas.

The Cap'n. Ain't Google wunnerful?
Katmanken
Ever seen a crash dummy's face when the bag part of the airbag assembly fails?

Crispy critter.

Captains right, ain't no simple CO2 cartridge

Ken
jasons
I'm sure its explosive, thats why I'm concerned. We have a TRW plant here that manufactures those things. About 6 years ago there was a couple of explosions there. I don't want "The Man" paying any more attention to me than necessary.

ph34r.gif

I don't need the bag, just the wheel. I will tell the guy as much and if he sends the bag too, so be it.
grantsfo
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 14 2006, 04:58 PM)
It has to be shipped as a HAZMAT / Explosive item.

1.)  Unless you have taken the Federal training course (UPS, FEDEX, Common Carrier, etc), you are not allowed to fill out the paperwork required for ground or air shipments.  They will be glad to let you take it for about $500.  You can find it online for about $150.

That said, there are those that can ship it for you, but it's gonna cost a fair penny.  You just have to find them.

That said, if you don't declare what it is and don't get caught........, but if they inspect the package....Hello Bubba.

...hello bubba

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.