Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: decisions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
So my 914 has been sitting under tarp since late summer. After a shoddy mechanic got his hands on it earlier in the year, it was pretty much toast after that.
I figure it'll cost me around 8 or 9k to get that new engine and all things needed to complete it and have a reliable 914. That's a lot of money.

My father and I were driving today in town and saw a nice looking '73 2002 for sale at a good price. Listed it had recently rebuild engine, new brakes and rotors, racing suspension and custom exhaust. Stated "Reliable daily driver", though they may just be saying that. It also looked like it had a nice newer set of BMW wheels on it, I liked that. Interior was pretty good.

Now my mind is going a million miles a minute. 914's and 2002's are probably my favorite cars. Though my judgement on the 2002 is purely on looks, I've never driven one.
I wonder if I might look into the 2002 and possibly invest in it, and keep (store) the 914 until I can really afford to work on it (my 914 has too much sentimental value on me for me to sell it, father- son thing. )
This is just me thinking outloud, no decisions have been made yet...
I wonder if the 2002 can be reliable? I really want an old German car.

Am I crazy?
Aaron Cox
2002's are the next most fun thing to a 914....
dlo914
hey Zack, a more reliable car would prolly be a step below a 2002. A BMW e30 (87'-92') is quite reliable, and for the most bang for the buck a 325is is pretty quick n torquey. A buddy of mine bought one last year for $1550, and the only maintenance he's done to the car so far is the usual oil changes, tune-up, and had to replace the rack n pinion b/c it was crap when he got the car. Other than that the car has never broken down him, except for the time he decided to see if the car's electronic gas meter was correct down to the exact mile. (i.e. ran out of gas) lol2.gif here's a similar pic of my buddy's e30 / except he's got the stock 14" BBS rims, not dropped, and the entire car is blacked out ph34r.gif
KELTY360
Synchros and valve guides can be weak points mechanically. They're fun to drive, fun to roll also...ask me how I know wacko.gif

Marc
dlo914
QUOTE (KELTY360 @ Feb 14 2006, 05:55 PM)
Synchros and valve guides can be weak points mechanically. They're fun to drive, fun to roll also...ask me how I know wacko.gif

Marc

yea if you don't keep up w/ the valve adjustments an e30 would easily pass for a diesel MBZ just by listening to one. The LSD out back makes for awesome donuts! And 2nd gear is killer! Then again it's nothing like driving a 14' the e30 seems more like a sedan dry.gif the clutch is heavy and the car is heavy as well. An interesting fact about an e30 is that if you put the car into gear, keeping your foot on the brake n clutch, then let go of the clutch w/out giving some gas the car will automatically give itself some gas to prevent the engine from stalling. It works in all 5 forward gears and reverse.

hehe...rolling lol2.gif fond memories in my buddy's 14' when we ran out of gas. Luckily we were on the street he lived on, except a mile or two away, and the street he lived on was very slightly declined. You could say we soap box derbied home, averaging 5-8mph lol2.gif
Kargeek
The '73 is a desirable car with the small bumpers. If the car is well maintained and has NO RUST buy it.

I still own my '74- it's been part of the family for nearly 30 years.
dlo914
hehe one year the kids in the autoshop class played a prank on the professor who owns a square tail-light 2002, by placing his car in the recycler w/ the following description: full e30 m3 drivetrain, transmission, suspension, and interior conversion. FS: $2000 cash firm! (626)###-####. Boy did the professor receive a lot of phone calls for a good few months until the ad was pulled. Till, this day we still do not know who pulled the prank, but the professor is giving whomever some major props.
dlo914
QUOTE (Kargeek @ Feb 14 2006, 06:22 PM)
The '73 is a desirable car with the small bumpers. If the car is well maintained and has NO RUST buy it.

what year was it when the tail lights were changed from circular to rectangular?
Hammy
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Feb 14 2006, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (Kargeek @ Feb 14 2006, 06:22 PM)

what year was it when the tail lights were changed from circular to rectangular?

From my research i think it was 74
Hammy
sad2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (KELTY360 @ Feb 14 2006, 05:55 PM)

Marc

The 88s and up break head bolts. REAL common. The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 14 2006, 05:29 PM)
2002's are the next most fun thing to a 914....

agree.gif check my blog wavey.gif
Hammy
Rick... beautiful 2002.

I'm meeting with the owner in about 45 minutes. here i go..
Tom Perso
I'd have to second the E30, I got mine for 2K and it's been a pleasure to drive. It's got a ton of miles (over 180K) and it still has 155-160psi in each cylinder.

It's almost as fun as the 914, but it has heat, A/C, cruise - and is a nice long distance runner.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Tom
Hammy
thanks for the replies and recommendations all.

Sadly, the car wasn't as in good condition as I initially thought it was. The guy is asking way too much. The interior is a good C or C-. It started up and purred pretty nicely though. NICE sounding exhaust on it. But that's where the good ended.
Upon test driving it, we noticed the exhaust was not hung properly, and shook around while driving and made a really loud noise (reminded me of the ricers i often see).
Also the acceleration was pretty weird. In first it seemed to accelerate fine. When in second, and stepping on it, the car would hesitate big time and then jump back and forth. What the hell was that about? Though, it still had more power than I thought it would.

It shifted like a dream compared to my 914 smile.gif Also, it corned well. On the last turn before returning back, I figured what the hell and flew around a corner. It did well...
It also had some electrical gremlins, the horn was either really sensitive or screwed up, kept going off. And the wipers were screwy, which reminded me of the 914.

Although it ran like shit, it was a blast to drive. I fell in love. Not with this car, but the 2002 in general. Oh no...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.