Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bent shift rod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mcbain77
So I am clearing out my center tunnel to prep for Metal Ready and POR15 and I remove my shift rod assembly. As I get the rod out I notice a 15 degree bend in one of the ends. Is this NORMAL? It certainly doesn't seem right . . .
mcbain77
It is the one on the bottom and it is the linkage that connects to the actual ball cup the gear shift attaches to.
root
Never seen that modification before!
Very inexpensive "short shift" mod! screwy.gif
mcbain77
No kidding! The bad thing is this is my Dad's 914 and he is the original owner. Everything on the car is original save for some wear and tear items and when he had the engine rebuilt. I don't think I did this while removing the rod because the force necessary to make this kind of bend would be crazy hard to do in the center tunnel.

WTF.gif

Are replacements available? I suppose I could use a torch to bend it back into shape and then weld a collar on the area to strengthen it up but DAMN!!!!

The only thing I can think ove is maybe a switcharoo when my dad had the car restored back in '86.
EdwardBlume
Shift rods can bend and can be bent back. You just need a vise and good idea where you're going. The key is rust, if its rusty, replace it. You should be able to find one around if its not fixable.
root
This is off a tail shifter right?
I'm pretty sure I have one (unrusted) in my micro-junkyard.
I'll take $15 and you pay shipping. or you can bend yor Dad's back.
Is there a kink in it? Can't tell from the pic. biggrin.gif
mcbain77
I'll see if I can bend it back and contact you if I need a replacement. THis must have been done previously because there is no way I exerted enough force to bend this during the removal. BTW - The teener is now mine. I should have said it used to be my Dad's

aktion035.gif
Jaiden
I don't want to hijacked.gif But how did you get the rod out? I'm doing the same thing with the Por-15 and fuel lines and I can't get the rod out of the tunnel. Do you have to pull it out the rear or out of the shifter hole?
rhodyguy
for $15+shipping, just buy the replacement offered. straighten, install(hope it works), and do again if it doesn't screwy.gif ? it's an early one. ball cup on the base of the front rod.

k
mcbain77
root - I'll take you up on the offer.
this is for a 1970 tail shifter.
914Sixer
I also have several spares up here in Boerne, Tx if any body needs them.
root
Found it!
and it looks good to me! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.