Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 1996 GT1 Mid Engined 911 Turbo..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
I kinda lost track of "new" Porsches when I let my Panorama subscription expire in '97. The 911 GT1 Mid engined Turbo was launched, with a proposition to build a production run for homologation...

I believe they built 1 street car, and somehow, that satisfied the governing bodies requirements as a "production run".

I forgot all about the car until today... when i saw one (or a pretty darn reasonable facsimile) coming down the road in North San Diego......

Anyone know if there ever was a production run?

Or is this just a pretty well executed kit car???

914 under there???
Sideways
I thought there were around 200 Built not sure...

There was a guy that built a replica using a 914 and a 993 rear suspension in it.... It was featured in Excellence or 911 & Porsche World a number of years ago (Just cannot remember when).
Gustl
they made a production of 25 cars - this was exact the amount they neeed for homologation

this production was sold out long before the cars were built

user posted image

wavey.gif Gustl
MattR
I believe they built 1 street car

I thought there were around 200 Built

they made a production of 25 cars

smile.gif I love the internet
seanery
I'd love to see one of the street cars! wub.gif drooley.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 14 2006, 09:49 PM)
I believe they built 1 street car

I thought there were around 200 Built

they made a production of 25 cars

smile.gif I love the internet

Ha!! Well I do recall they only needed to build 1 initially for "street"... as i said, after that I lost track...

Porsche's website just talks about the racecar itself... and unfortunately, we don't have book 2 of "Excellence was Expected" to read about all the nitty gritty details and politics that swarmed around the car... too bad Ludvigsen's work can' t be replicated...

This was a white car for what it's worth.. must say, if it was a kit.. they did a really good job..
anthony
Why post on a 914 site when you can search the net?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT1

Midtowner
I've seen this on our site a couple of times. smile.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (anthony @ Feb 14 2006, 09:59 PM)
Why post on a 914 site when you can search the net?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT1

Hi Anthony,

well I guess I even dumber than I thought....

I habitually use yahoo as my search engine and nothin came up very obviously.
never occured to me to use wikipedia as I never use it.... See above.....

be kind to your aging and failing memory seniors....

okay I'm not that old, but working for the company I do and having 3 kids has severely hurt my cognitive skills.... things just don't click like they used to..

914 relevance??? I think I'm in line with the rules by titling it OT...

also thought that getting back to Porsches in light of all the unhappiness in recent posts might be useful......

AND, this group of people is the first I thought of when I saw that car..... enough of explaining my actions.. thanks for the link.. looks like 25 were built... still no idea if I saw a genuine one or not....
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Feb 14 2006, 10:15 PM)
I've seen this on our site a couple of times. smile.gif

are those arabic figures above the numbers??
Gustl
like most of these super rare and super expensive cars they are in Dubai (lower left hand corner says so)

wavey.gif Gustl
carr914
There is a guy here in Tampa with a silver one, and a Carrera GT, Enzo, Bentley Continental GT, etc. And I thought the total number built for the street was 18.

T.C.
URY914
QUOTE (carr914 @ Feb 15 2006, 06:13 AM)
There is a guy here in Tampa with a silver one, and a Carrera GT, Enzo, Bentley Continental GT, etc. And I thought the total number built for the street was 18.

T.C.

Damn TC, mad.gif

I told you not to tell anyone about my cars!

(That would be the former RV King, right?)

Paul smile.gif
IronHillRestorations
I saw one in the wind tunnel at Weissach in 1997, a silver street version. Sexiest car I'd ever seen in person wub.gif They cranked the wind tunnel up to about 100mph and set off the car alarm when they turned it a little sideways on the turntable.

Also saw one of the chassis on one of the Wessach chassis stress dynos, with about thirty dial indicators all over the thing, to measure chassis flex. There was also about four of them in various stages of disassembly, so you could see all the internals. Cool stuff, killer car.
maf914
When you see a 96-97 Porsche GT1 it looks like a pretty wild car, but Porsche ended up getting hammered on the race track by Mercedes. The Porsche GT1 was too tame compared to the Mercedes GT1. In reality the rules makers had let things get out of hand and each new model was further away from a street car. Typical sports-racing car politics. laugh.gif
Van914
Saw a Silver one at the Rennsport Reunion at Daytona. I think it was in transprot to the new owner. $1.5M+ i think. There was also on display one of the first race cars.
van914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.