Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do you test a fuel level sender?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
So in my statsh of parts I found a fuel level sending unit, it looks in good shape but how do you test it out of the car?
SLITS
Hook it to a guage, supply power, move float up, watch guage go from E to F. It's a matter of variable resistance.
GaroldShaffer
simple enough, thanks!
914Sixer
The first thing to do is shake it and listen if the float slides up and down inside the tube. If you do not hear this it will not work. You can very gently remove the tube and repair the float. Then you can do the resistance test.
SLITS
Now Mark be careful....you know you should not shake up a Kraut...just look at Ahndie..... icon8.gif
lapuwali
If you have a multi-meter, measuring ohms across two of the pins should give you infinite resistance with the sender held upside down (float at the "top"), and 0 resistance with the sender held upright. This is the light switch. Two other pins will give you a variable resistance from 5-10ohms with the float at the top, and 70-90 ohms with the float at the bottom.

There's a description of which pins to what in my blog.
GaroldShaffer
Thanks! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.