Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LSD Cheap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Van914
Wow,
Just received my new Summit Racing Catalog. Too Da%$ Bad Detroit Locker doesn't make a LSD unit that fits a 901 box. Prices for American cars and Toyota 8". $365 - $580. Wow! A far cry from what we have to pay for one that fits ours.
sad.gif
Van914
rick 918-S
Do a search for Phantom Grip. wink.gif I'll let you know how it works out. aktion035.gif driving.gif
r_towle
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 15 2006, 10:53 AM)
Do a search for Phantom Grip. wink.gif I'll let you know how it works out. aktion035.gif driving.gif

Before spring???

Get to work,,,we are all waiting...

Take some decent pics..the web side is not to descriptive....

Rich
seanery
is Mr. Mayeur doing that for you Rick?
Brian Mifsud
The Mendeola Transaxles originally for BAJA racing use the Ford 9" ring and pinion. I'm failrly certain that they were also designed to use any of the limited slips or spools available for American Car drag racing... entry price is steep, but maintenance is dirt cheap....
rick 918-S
I waiting for the UPS man to deliver the unit to me. ( they don't drop ship with a credit card) I received an email confirming my order, but that's it.

I agree, the web site for the Phantom grip Sux! And they don't answer their phone, or return calls! mad.gif

I'm going out on a limb with this thing, and "yes" clap56.gif Brad Is doing the install! clap56.gif As soon as I can get him the part. confused24.gif

I'm not sure how I will get photo's Brad may take a couple but he's not a regular poster here. He's far too busy.
alpha434
Hey, Rick!!! We'll be watching. clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Van914 @ Feb 15 2006, 07:48 AM)
LSD Cheap

you know, the cops read this board too ...

biggrin.gif Andy
rick 918-S
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 15 2006, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (Van914 @ Feb 15 2006, 07:48 AM)
LSD Cheap

you know, the cops read this board too ...

biggrin.gif Andy

cool_shades.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif
Van914
huh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif beer.gif finger.gif flipa.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif icon8.gif bootyshake.gif smoke.gif av-943.gif
sean_v8_914
toyota offers the LSD in teh tacoma and Tundra for 295, what a bargain...installed!
Twystd1
The best price I can get DIRECT from the Quaife distributor in Cali for a 901 LSD is about 1,290 bucks last time I checked. (Couple of months ago)
(price changes based on the exchange rate, EURO verses USD)

My cost on a typical Honda Quaife LSD is about 780.00 OR lower.

When I asked em why the cost was so high for the 901.

They said: Cause they don't make that many of em anymore.

Personaly. I think it's because it is for a PORSCHE. $$$$$$$$

Don't these guys know this is for a VW? ohmy.gif

Twystd1
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Feb 16 2006, 02:52 AM)
The best price I can get DIRECT from the Quaife distributor in Cali for a 901 LSD is about 1,290 bucks last time I checked. (Couple of months ago)
(price changes based on the exchange rate, EURO verses USD)

My cost on a typical Honda Quaife LSD is about 780.00 OR lower.

When I asked em why the cost was so high for the 901.

They said: Cause they don't make that many of em anymore.

Personaly. I think it's because it is for a PORSCHE. $$$$$$$$

Don't these guys know this is for a VW? ohmy.gif

Twystd1

number 1 reason I've been looking for an option. Price. Call me cheap if you want, but it's not the $ 1300.00 for the Quaife, it's the added set up to install it. By the time your done you have $ 2500.00 in a $ 100.00 transaxle. screwy.gif
Brett W
Skip the Phantom Slip and just weld the diff. The car will push on corner entry but you can get on the power much sooner.
Dave Bell
Is this going to be with other mods that Brad makes?...or is their a unit that fits the 901 tranny?

I only see one listing for a VW tranny in a "More Details" section of the "jegs.com" site selling various versions of their LSD mod
alpha434
QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 16 2006, 06:29 AM)
Skip the Phantom Slip and just weld the diff. The car will push on corner entry but you can get on the power much sooner.

You can't handle like that in traffic. And you can't do that on the street. So it would only really be ok for a dedicated autoX car. How many people here have dedicated autoX cars.

And I don't know about other states, but all the tracks left in colorado are too small to really take advantage of it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 16 2006, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 16 2006, 06:29 AM)
Skip the Phantom Slip and just weld the diff.  The car will push on corner entry but you can get on the power much sooner.

You can't handle like that in traffic. And you can't do that on the street. So it would only really be ok for a dedicated autoX car. How many people here have dedicated autoX cars.

And I don't know about other states, but all the tracks left in colorado are too small to really take advantage of it.

i dont think it would be fun on an AX,

maybe the track....
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Dave Bell @ Feb 16 2006, 01:37 PM)
Is this going to be with other mods that Brad makes?...or is their a unit that fits the 901 tranny?

I only see one listing for a VW tranny in a "More Details" section of the "jegs.com" site selling various versions of their LSD mod

Go to Phantom Grip's web site. I haven't seen it listed anywhere else. (Jeg's, some of the ricer sites, etc.)

On the phantom grip site they list it for the 915. The spacing between the spyder gears seem to be the same from the 901 to the 915.

Yes, I'm having Brad install the "HB" gear I got frm Aaron, and a billet intermediate plate, as well as adjust the gear spacing for the new "HB" gear.
ottox914
Keep us posted! I contacted those guys a while ago, they said no apps for the 901, but send us a diff and we'll see what fits, install it, and return it. Sounds like Mueller or someone else (forgot who) already tried that route with poor results. If the 915 works, we will all benefit, with out the PG guys having to be any more involved than needed.
brant
I'm really trying to resist the hijack....
but had to clarify that welded diffs work better on big tracks and less well on small tracks or autox
(the colorado tracks that were lost were all small ones)

definitely agree about the street being a weakness of the welded diff.

brant
marks914
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 16 2006, 04:41 PM)

Go to Phantom Grip's web site. I haven't seen it listed anywhere else. (Jeg's, some of the ricer sites, etc.)

On the phantom grip site they list it for the 915. The spacing between the spyder gears seem to be the same from the 901 to the 915.

Yes, I'm having Brad install the "HB" gear I got frm Aaron, and a billet intermediate plate, as well as adjust the gear spacing for the new "HB" gear.

Hey Rick
What is an HB Gear? Whats the ratio? I have the H gear setup in my car. I think there is a GA and HA gear, never heard of the HB; thats our DCX internal codename for the Dodge Durango.

PS Brad's tall gear setup for my tranny was the best money I spent on my car.

Mark
rick 918-S
QUOTE (marks914 @ Feb 17 2006, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 16 2006, 04:41 PM)

Hey Rick
What is an HB Gear? Whats the ratio? I have the H gear setup in my car. I think there is a GA and HA gear, never heard of the HB; thats our DCX internal codename for the Dodge Durango.

PS Brad's tall gear setup for my tranny was the best money I spent on my car.

Mark

its 1 tooth smaller than an H gear.

31:19 or .613 so at any given rpm its within a mph or two of an H gear.

Brad thought it would be un-noticable from the "HB" to the "H"
Aaron Cox
and cheaper tongue.gif

enjoy it rick smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 17 2006, 08:23 PM)
and cheaper tongue.gif

enjoy it rick smile.gif

Thanks again Double "A"! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.