Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Oil Tank Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
OK so I got a 914-6 Sportomatic oil tank with my 2.4 engine. The oil tank has an extra outlet compared to a standard tank. This tank is nasty, it has crap inside, dirty, etc. It would need to be boiled and refinished.

What would you do? Boil it and cap the extra outlet and use the tank or sell the tank and just get a new tank? Any of the SF Bay Area people know where I could get this thing cleaned?

Are there any cost effective reproduction tanks out there that I might be over looking? Who has the best price on these blasted things?
brant
I'd probably get it professionally cleaned and then use it if it came out well.

brant
tat2dphreak
radiator shop can probably ultra-sonic clean it
seanery
I'd clean it and use it.

I'm considering a 6 for whitey again, and an aftermarket tank worries me a bit...just because it's an unkown.
olav

How much does a used factory 914-6 oil tank sell for these days?
Gint
I'd clean it up and verify that it's in good shape. Then I'd consider selling it. Some concourse weenie somewhere might be willing to part with big bucks for the Sporto tank. If so, you buy a new tank at full pop on someone else's dime.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Gint @ Feb 15 2006, 02:41 PM)
I'd clean it up and verify that it's in good shape. Then I'd consider selling it. Some concourse weenie somewhere might be willing to part with big bucks for the Sporto tank. If so, you buy a new tank at full pop on someone else's dime.

clean and sell it.... its way rare....

somethink like 23 /6 sportos??
Trekkor
How about some pics, Grant? biggrin.gif

KT
brant
I've seen sporto tanks for sale used before.
maybe its a fluke... but I think a few of these got pressed into service, probably because they were available cheaper.

the used ones I've seen available actually were worth LESS money than the non sporto's

I agree that the sporto is a rare bird, but it might take an awfully special person to pay a premium for it. and if there were originally 23 made, how many of those 23 still servive and even need a used tank..... zero probably.

check with the dealers or check around.
I think the sporto tanks may still be available old stock.

brant
McMark
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Clean it and put a Sport-O in your car.
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 15 2006, 02:46 PM)
How about some pics, Grant? biggrin.gif

KT

Ok ok

mikey
Any of the SF Bay Area people know where I could get this thing cleaned?

I got my oil tank cleaned 5 blocks from my house at:

Alouis Radiator
650 Divisadero Street
San Francisco, CA
415 923 1446

They boiled it out, soldered up some pinholes at the top seam and I painted it with POR-15. You probably could find something closer in Santa Cruz.
BigD9146gt
I agree with Acox, if you're not putting a sporto in your car, sell it if you can. The odds of a collecter having an original 9146 sporto that would pay well for a backup tank is worth doing some searching... i'd figure $1500 minimum.

Cheers, Don.
davep
Years ago there was a glut of sporto tanks for sale cheap. They were NOS, built for scads of cars that never got built. I'd guess a production run of 100 pieces would be a minimum for such a part. That means about 60 were declared surplus and dumped to clear inventory.

An interesting part, but not particularly valuable.
J P Stein
Clean it, fix it, run it. The biggest problem with a conversion is gettin' bogged down in details......BTDT. biggrin.gif
It's fun to discuss these things, but progress suffers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.