Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo tie rod issue?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I just received my ties rods -- one has a large amnt of grease that appears to be coming out of the joint that screws into the rack ..one doesn't

not sure if this is an issue
ChicagoChris
I need to know. biggrin.gif
Just in case.
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
sk8kat1
I bought them from the guy on ebay and there were a few folks here that said they were good stuff and the same brand that PP sells .. so I got them -- they came w/o being in the pastic bags ( stated as being new ... and the grease thing going on and the return address states CA on the box but is post mark IL ?

I feel a bit uneasy about this....
sk8kat1
icon_bump.gif
aww come on -- someone has had to had ordered turbo tie rods recently and will be able to tell us ... please?!
Grimstead
I ordered a set off of evilbay about 6 months ago (they're still in the bag sad.gif ) and they were brand new (ie, no visable grease adn iin sealed bags). If you want I can take some pictures and/or find who I bought them from.

Based on what you wrote, I'd have an uneasy feeling as well.
sk8kat1
was it this guy?

ebay tie rods
ChicagoChris
Can't figure this guy out. You say CA the item was marked IL. He sells womens fasions too out of PA and all his Porsche parts ship from USA. No negative feedback I can find but it maks me uneasy. dry.gif

sk8kat1...how about a "GreatLakes Contingent"? or a "ChiTown Posse"?
Allan
I think Brando bought a set from the guy and he was happy.
sk8kat1
a "GreatLakes Contingent"? or a "ChiTown Posse"

-- that sounds great -- there is a guy out here in rockford too ..

headrage -- I have been pm-ing brando.. he received his and was happy but his came in a sealed bag as shown in the auction and had part #'s on it and said lamfoder (sp?) on it --

mine didn't show up that way at all dry.gif
sk8kat1
i sen an email to the seller to see what was up -- I guess I will soon see what the deal is .... ph34r.gif mad.gif
BigDBass
"GreatLakes Contingent" or a "ChiTown Posse" sounds good to me as long as you'll let me in with no car (yet!) idea.gif
sk8kat1
I would say the 914 to be owners should be welcome... that was me since I was like ----12!! biggrin.gif
ChicagoChris
hijacked.gif
I know there are a bunch of "near Chicago" teeners out there, we just need to start showing ourselves.
sk8kat1
us mid west teeners are holed up for a good bit of the year or
taken hostage by the infamous .... jackstands ohmy.gif .... that we don't show our selves much---

but we have a weapon at our desposal.... brad in peroria!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Foster
QUOTE (ChicagoChris @ Feb 15 2006, 07:01 PM)
hijacked.gif
I know there are a bunch of "near Chicago" teeners out there, we just need to start showing ourselves.

I've been toying with the GL Cont. idea, not too good with PS though.

Oh, and just so this isn't hijacked.gif
I bought some turbo tie rods off ebay last year, not this guy though. No grease anywhere outside the boots.

I guess I'd check the boots real good for any sign of crack. Might be they just got hit somehow and grease was forced past the seal.
confused24.gif
sk8kat1
it's not the boots that are leaking -- it's the other end that attaches to the rack .. the that has grease coming up out of them .... a large amnt ....
sk8kat1
one
sk8kat1
nother
ChicagoChris
I missed something...

From the tie rod or the rack?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2...-1140046106.jpg
sk8kat1
nother
sk8kat1
nother
sk8kat1
last one
ChicagoChris
OK. I need to go look at mine. (still in package..sorry)
sk8kat1
do these look new... should there be that much grease outside that joint?

it is the end of the turbo tie rod that screws into the rack and is covered by the boot

Foster
Sorry, I was thinking the other end. I'll take a look when I get home. Got the rack assy put together but its still a year or so from being installed. mad.gif
ChicagoChris
The missing paint under the rod end is weird. What is the condition of the grease? Is it new, or thin from use? But the condition looks ok.

hijacked.gif I was thinking about the "ChiTown Contingent" Great lakes is a huge area and lots of other nice cities are in that. ( Gary for instance) And it gives people a geographic reference. But since I have no computer skills I can't make the attachment I want. A 914 with a cartoonish skyline as book-ends. stuff Sears,stuff stuff, Hancock, stuff
sk8kat1
so yours have the grease all over the joint like that? the one there is a whole lot the othe is just a little like I would expect

the only other thing is the worn paint --- maybe I am wrong but these don't look new...

and yea I would like to see a chicago or chicago / rockford sort of thing
McMark
This is quite the hijacked.gif thread. wacko.gif

My Lemforder tie rods didn't look that greasy. I would wipe the excess grease away with a dry, clean rag and see if there is any visible damage. If everything looks okay visually I would install them and see how they feel. They are probably fine, but even if they're not, I'm going to guess you're SOL anyway. I'd be surprised if a seller that's not even willing to give you information is going to give you a refund.

Good Luck. sad.gif
sk8kat1
so if the auction shows the item in bags w/ the item# tags on it and in new condition and the auction states new and this is what I get -- I have no recorse through ebay or paypal?!
McMark
Maybe I'm a cynic, and I would thoroughly encourage you to try, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Clean it up and see what you've got first.
Maltese Falcon
My oe W/D hard parts supplier sold me a set for my 2.0 last month , and showed me the washers and boots that just about every ind. vendor (catalog co.) is using. They are NOT exactly like the oe Porsche stuff, and not the best QC. He told me that the boots start cracking early on. The stuff is made in ROC and packaged with the oe tie rods though.
I opted for the Porsche boots and washers for the extra cost. Sorry NO pix...already installed mad.gif
Marty
rhodyguy
so...after all the dust settled (+s&h), how much did you save over buying from the bird or gpr?

k
TimT
Why are you posting pics of tie rods from 2004?

or are those pics you just grabbed from an Ebay add?

In any event the pics you posted appear to be tie rods that have never had a wrench laid on them.

Quit yer bellyachin and install them...
sk8kat1
total was 129.00 --but I guess my main concern was that the drastic differance in the amnt of grease on the outside on that ball and socket joint if the one has from reason lost that seal then when I drive with it that joint wil seize eventually and I at that point will be fucked.... and will be spending better than 150.00 again to get another set

does anyone know if that is as abnormal as I belive it is

so tim I think concidering that the auction stated new and showed thenm as new sealed from the manufactuer and I have never seen a set of tie rods that were that different in the amnt of grease on the joint --- and quite frankly would not like to have the joint seize up some day unexpectedly I would rather "bellyache" now to avoid that .... would you put questionable suspesion parts on your car ?! .... probly not

oh and its a new camera and my wife hasn't figured out how to set the date

sk8kat1
sorry I just reread that post by tim -- I might have taken it the wrong way -- it is late and I have been screwing around w/ this all day....

still I would like to know if this is normal amount of grease outside that ball and socket joint...

I belive that if all the grease that is mentt o be in that joint is not in there or if the better part of it is out that after a certin amount of usage it will start to seize up .. right?
thesey914
If you look at your 'good' tie-rod it appears to have an open joint with grease exposed. The whole ball/socket is enclosed by the boot anyway. when you come to fit these you'll see there is quite a bit of wrenching and I can't see any marks on the flats. As long as there is no play in the joint I would say their fine.
Mine came with plastic protectors on the threads and ball joints
rhodyguy
lemfoerders at the bird for $182.50. no bs hassle, a live body to talk to if there's a problem for $60, is a good deal in my book. i have no idea what paragon or gpr gets for them. gotta love that ebay!! biggrin.gif

k
sk8kat1
sorry still fairly new to 914 's--- where / what is the bird?

gopack
QUOTE (ChicagoChris @ Feb 15 2006, 04:10 PM)
The missing paint under the rod end is weird.  What is the condition of the grease?  Is it new, or thin from use?  But the condition looks ok.

hijacked.gif   I was thinking about the "ChiTown Contingent"   Great lakes is a huge area and lots of other nice cities are in that. ( Gary for instance)  And it gives people a geographic reference.    But since I have no computer skills I can't make the attachment I want.  A 914 with a cartoonish skyline as book-ends.   stuff Sears,stuff stuff, Hancock, stuff

hijacked.gif
Some of us in the great lakes area that are "non-Illinoisians" or even from "rival" states as far as Big Ten sports or pro sports, would prefer the Great Lakes moniker!!!

For instance, where I grew up we have a saying when it comes to Pro football: "THE BEARS STILL SUCK" adopted in 1986.

MADISON contingent of ONE.
sk8kat1
great lakes contingent - chicago chapter.... laugh.gif
rhodyguy
sorry, the bird would be Pelican Parts and gpr is German Parts and Restoration.

k
Jaiden
I ordered my kit for the club store.

3 days ago and I didn't even here back but they charged my card!!

The price I got was $129

But I have no Idea when I'll see them! Ha!

Good luck!
SirAndy
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Feb 15 2006, 04:01 PM)
do these look new...

i see dirt in the threads, so, no, they don't look new ...

dry.gif Andy
Foster
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Feb 15 2006, 08:36 PM)
My oe W/D hard parts supplier sold me a set for my 2.0 last month , and showed me the washers and boots that just about every ind. vendor (catalog co.) is using. They are NOT exactly like the oe Porsche stuff, and not the best QC. He told me that the boots start cracking early on. The stuff is made in ROC and packaged with the oe tie rods though.
I opted for the Porsche boots and washers for the extra cost. Sorry NO pix...already installed mad.gif
Marty

I checked mine out this morning. Been out of the bag, assembled and sitting on the shelf for less than a year and the first rib is already showing some cracking. Looks like I'll have to get some good boots for mine too. Luckily I only paid like $90 originally.

As for the grease, mine had nowhere near that much and I'd say your threads look like they've been installed before. But I have the paint worn off on that edge too so confused24.gif
Foster
nuther
rhodyguy
my boots went to crap after sitting in a box, on a shelve for quite awhile. i got replacements from Jason(?) at paragon.

k
sk8kat1
that is way less grease than what I have --- I wonder if these some how have a bad seal and the grease came out....

am I right in saying that if there is too little grease that that joint will freeze up sooner rather than later ?
davep
You really cannot tell how much grease is in where it belongs without trying to disassemble. That you should not attempt. I'd say you got the cheap Chinese version. Probably will work, just not as well nor as long.
ChicagoChris
These joints shouldn't freeze. They are mostly a push/pull joint with some minor up/down. If the old joints made 30+ years wihout new grease then these should be fine. If they are in good shape to start.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.