Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: The new "tuner" law
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Andyrew
My dad and i are leary of this new law that allows the cops to pull over any car that is "modified".

Does anyone know any details? or can someone post the actual law?

My dad thinks they can impound my car and crush it and i'll never get it back...

This is on the basis that they pull me over for no apparent reason.

ALSO, knowing that I will never street race, what if they catch me get on it a little, or throw some tire smoke..

Anyways, Im 19, and here are some obvious facts about my car (and soon to be car)

It will have subtle flares, but it will have 18x10's on the back with a lot of rubber.
Brakes look stock, fronts are painted red.
Fiberglass front and rear bumpers w/ (soon to be) lexan rear spoiler
Lights are stock
Front trunk has louvers, not entirely noticable, in body paint color.
Body is factory phoenix red (orange)
Mirrors un decided, but will have left and right.
License plate on both front and rear bumper.
Engine lid stock, can see chrome air filter cover (will paint) obvious sbc
Exhaust is dual, side exit w/ 2 mufflers, should be relatively quiet under normal driving.
Racing seats
Racing harness's
momo wheel, factory guages
Small tubes no higher than stomach (while sitting down) for long to door pillar bracing (follows seat lines)
Black carpet

Thats about all they can see..
Car is a 73, does not need smog...

What can they do to me?

Andrew
sean_v8_914
they will crush your car in CA if you get caught street racing. I dont know about just pulled over
brer
I heard Arnold crushes them personally.
sj914
Here's some usefull info:
vehicle laws forum
sj914
Here's some more good reading.

Here
sj914
I wonder what'll happen to all those cars that were done in Overhaulin. Gonna get crushed for lookin good.
Twystd1
Like Sean said.. In Cali... They can crush your car.

I am trying to hook up with the tow yard to get good parts before they crush em....

Then I found out there are 10 guys ahead of me trying to make the same deal. CRAP..!!!

Twystd1
lagunero
I'm not a cop but like my parole officer says "a lot as to do with your attitude". Your car isn't street legal if it's carb'd but unless you live in a place where the citizens pay their good taxes to keep you kids in check, my guess is you'll be OK if they "only" pull you over to check you out. Definitely keep the front plate and put a muzzle on that thang!

Brett W
Move out of that shit hole ASAP and drive what ever you want for a lot less than you do now.
lapuwali
Someone please point me to the actual law that states they can seize and crush your car. The site pointed to specifys penalties for street racing (one of which is that the car can be impounded for 30 days), and that you must pay towing charges, and that the car will be sold at a lien sale if you fail to pay up. Nowhere does it say the car will be crushed (though it may well be if it fails to sell at a lien sale, or it may be crushed by the new owner).

These kinds of rumors have been spread around for years, and so far, none of them has actually shown up in the text of any actual law. When Smog Check II came out, several radio hosts were foaming at the mouth and insisting that cars as new as four years old could be seized and crushed if determined to be "gross polluters", when the law said no such thing.

Local ordinances against "cruising" and whatnot are common, esp. in the Central Valley. Modesto has had anti-cruising legislation on the books for years. These ordinances aren't necessarily legal, but until someone challenges them in court, they'll stay there as an excuse for local cops to harass citizens. However, destroying personal property is not something any local municipality would be likely to get away with for long.

An ordinance against a "modified" car is also too broad, esp. considering there's a legal entity (the BAR) set up to provide a service to "bless" cars with engine swaps in terms of emissions compliance. There are plenty of sections in the CVC that spell out *specific* modifications that are illegal, but one can't simply that a car is illegal because it's been "modified", only that it's been modified in certain ways.

No, I'm not a lawyer, I've just spent the time to read and understand the Constitution and many California laws. I'd advise everyone to do the same thing, rather than believe everything you read on the Internet.
Andyrew
My car is FI, but I thought that didnt matter..

Thanks for all the reading.. but I want to know what james does..

and the actual laws that say what is illegal and not.
sj914
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 16 2006, 10:14 AM)
Someone please point me to the actual law that states they can seize and crush your car. The site pointed to specifys penalties for street racing (one of which is that the car can be impounded for 30 days), and that you must pay towing charges, and that the car will be sold at a lien sale if you fail to pay up. Nowhere does it say the car will be crushed (though it may well be if it fails to sell at a lien sale, or it may be crushed by the new owner).

These kinds of rumors have been spread around for years, and so far, none of them has actually shown up in the text of any actual law. When Smog Check II came out, several radio hosts were foaming at the mouth and insisting that cars as new as four years old could be seized and crushed if determined to be "gross polluters", when the law said no such thing.

Local ordinances against "cruising" and whatnot are common, esp. in the Central Valley. Modesto has had anti-cruising legislation on the books for years. These ordinances aren't necessarily legal, but until someone challenges them in court, they'll stay there as an excuse for local cops to harass citizens. However, destroying personal property is not something any local municipality would be likely to get away with for long.

An ordinance against a "modified" car is also too broad, esp. considering there's a legal entity (the BAR) set up to provide a service to "bless" cars with engine swaps in terms of emissions compliance. There are plenty of sections in the CVC that spell out *specific* modifications that are illegal, but one can't simply that a car is illegal because it's been "modified", only that it's been modified in certain ways.

No, I'm not a lawyer, I've just spent the time to read and understand the Constitution and many California laws. I'd advise everyone to do the same thing, rather than believe everything you read on the Internet.

agree.gif

I've looked and looked, and it's not spelled out any where about confiscation and destruction of one's modified cars.

Andyrew,

Where did you and your dad hear or see this bit of information?
lapuwali
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 16 2006, 10:25 AM)
My car is FI, but I thought that didnt matter..

Thanks for all the reading.. but I want to know what james does..

and the actual laws that say what is illegal and not.

I do software.

I started reading the laws carefully in 1997 when SB42, the bill that originated the 30-year rolling exemption, first appeared. I've continued as the various challenges came up to kill SB42, including the one that finally did the deed.

The actual laws are (mostly) tied up in the California Vehicle Code (CVC). Reading the whole thing will make your eyes cross. Some of the laws, particularly regarding smog, are in the Health & Safety Code (H&S). You can find all of these online. The DMV website has links to many of them. Local ordinances are another matter, and you'd have to talk to the Modesto City Hall. They MAY be online, they may not. The text of most recent laws, and the bills that are currently being debated in the Assembly, are on the Assembly website.

The link posted above to that forum shows a sticky topic that reprints a CHP pamphlet that has a lot of the revelant CVC sections on what is and what is not allowed, and most of it is pretty much common sense. Things like color of lights, what lights, how far you can lower the car, how loud the stereo can be, etc. The penalties for most of these is a fix-it ticket, which means you have to show an officer within some set period (30 days, most likely) that the problem has been fixed, or pay a fine. I'm sure there's some escalation if you refuse to fix the problem, which may ultimately result in an appearance in court, and could easily turn into a contempt of court charge if you fail to provide a good reason to fix the problem. THAT would mean jail time and another (much bigger) fine.

Things like flares, mild lowering, a reasonable exhaust, etc., are certainly not a problem. If exhaust modifications were actually illegal (which they would be if "modified" were broadly interpreted), then Midas would be out of business, since they certainly don't use OEM parts to repair old rusty exhausts.

None of this really prevents some hard-assed cop from hassling you because they feel like it. There's often little to prevent that, unless the cop gets way out of line. I once got a fix-it ticket from a Mtn View cop because the taillights on my truck had faded to the point where they were pink instead of red. After I fixed it, I showed up at the Mtn View station to clear the ticket, and the chief was there and couldn't believe I got a ticket for this. She went: "oh, him" when she saw the name of the cop on the ticket. I expect he got an ass-chewing over it, which is really the only effective deterrent.

Allan
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 16 2006, 12:30 AM)
My dad thinks they can impound my car and crush it and i'll never get it back...

It'll never happen... cool.gif
Mueller
Only 3 laws I know of that allow the police to sieze your vehicle:

Being a "John" (picking up hooker)

illegal street racing

and "sideshows"

MikeP
If you are that concerned, de-tune your motor, throw some catalytic converters on it and go to the refferee at your local DMV, they will certify that your SBC is in the configuration offered in a stock vehicle from 1973 and is now in another 1973 vehicle. The state doesn't care what vehicle your 1973 motor is pushing around as long as it meets the requirements from that year. They will put a nifty little sticker on the door jamb of your car and it will forever after be your get out of jail free card when a cop pulls you over. That said, I've been pulled over in my v8 car and had the cop shake his head look over the engine whistle and tell me to slow down a bit then send me on my way. Not an uncommon occurace for v8 owners I'm told. It really is all about the particular cop and your attitude.
mrdezyne
Sounds like your dad is the one trying to pull one over on you to keep you in check. "Son, them damn cops will crush that thing if they even think you look fast". slap.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (mrdezyne @ Feb 16 2006, 12:11 PM)
Sounds like your dad is the one trying to pull one over on you to keep you in check. "Son, them damn cops will crush that thing if they even think you look fast". slap.gif

nah, this sounds like a California law...see my other post above....in Oakland, they can and do impound cars for asking for a "date".... screwy.gif
Allan
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 16 2006, 10:58 AM)

illegal street racing

and "sideshows"

Add drug possession to that.
LvSteveH
Street racing is a hot button topic in most places, and you will not find the general public very understanding about it given the many stories of races that ended in tragedy. If your vehicle is used in the commission of a criminal act, the protection of "personal property" no longer applies. I'm of the belief that just about anything is ok if you don't get caught, but if you do, step up and offer to push the button on the crusher yourself.
lapuwali
QUOTE (MikeP @ Feb 16 2006, 11:08 AM)
If you are that concerned, de-tune your motor, throw some catalytic converters on it and go to the refferee at your local DMV, they will certify that your SBC is in the configuration offered in a stock vehicle from 1973 and is now in another 1973 vehicle. The state doesn't care what vehicle your 1973 motor is pushing around as long as it meets the requirements from that year. They will put a nifty little sticker on the door jamb of your car and it will forever after be your get out of jail free card when a cop pulls you over. That said, I've been pulled over in my v8 car and had the cop shake his head look over the engine whistle and tell me to slow down a bit then send me on my way. Not an uncommon occurace for v8 owners I'm told. It really is all about the particular cop and your attitude.

Catalytic convertors are not required for 1973 MY cars. Even if smog tests were still required for a '73, a cat wouldn't be required.

Were Andrew to follow the exact letter of the law to bring his car into compliance, he'd have to do the following: if the V8 is from a '73, he'd have to fit all of the smog equipment orignally fitted to that engine in the donor car in 1973. Catalytic convertors would not be part of the package (these didn't appear in CA until 1975, and weren't required in the rest of the US until 1980). If the engine is older than 1973, he'd have to fit all of the '73 914 smog gear, including EFI, the charcoal canister, and all of the vent hoses. If the engine is newer than 73, he'd have to retrofit all of the equipment in use on that engine in cars with that engine in the model year of the engine. This may include catalytic convertors if the engine is a '75 or newer. Once this was done, a visit to a BAR referee station would test and certify the car as being a XX model year car for emissions purposes ('73 or newer, depending on the year of the chassis or engine, whichever is newer). From that point on, he'd be subject to emissions testing if the engine is a '76 or newer, as the car would now effectively be a the new model year as far as the DMV is concerned. The limits used would be based on the year of the engine.

Since the car IS exempt in CA, you're in more of a gray area. The EPA doesn't care, as the car is more than 25 years old. CA law is more iffy. You're not required to be TESTED under the exemption, but a strict reading of the law states that you're not really exempt from the requirements, just the enforcement. The engine swap rules technically still apply.

Most of the CVC regs that will get you pulled over, however, have nothing to do with the engine or emissions, but are instead concerned with things like how loud the muffler is, what color your lights are, etc. As long as he's using a sociable muffler, and correct 914 lenses (Euro lenses are iffy, but likely to be OK), and isn't lowered so much that no part of the car hangs below the lower lip of the wheel rims (except the tires, of course), then he's "street legal".
kart54
Andrew,
You asked a very specific question. Let me give you a specific response. I practice law but this is not to be construed as legal advice of any kind.

They cannot seize and crush your car for being modified. If you have modifications that are outside of the law (which does not appear to be the case from what you have written). They will give you a fix it ticket on a first stop.

They may stop you more often because of the modifications just to check you out. They cannot look under the hood or in your trunk without probable cause that a crime is being committed. They will usually say "It's OK if we look in your trunk and under the hood right?" You are free to say no although they may try and put additional pressure on you at that point.

A clear violation of the law on most BMW's, Merecedes and Porsche's that I have seen is window tint in front of the driver's seat (Driver and passenger side front windows on 4 door cars and SUV's). alot of people do it and know that they are asking to be stopped. They will remove it once given a fix-it ticket and then put it back on once the ticket is resolved. Another is excessively dark tinting. The police must be able to see inside your vehicle from any angle if you have windows. but alot of people do that too.

I also don't know of one street legal Harley. Exhaust louder than stock and handle bars raised above the driver's shoulders are illegal in California but there are plenty of them around including Jay Leno's and Arnold's. Again, fix-it ticket if stopped.

Mueller gave you the reasons they can seize and impound your vehicle (not crush). Don't street race, don't go to street races, don't have any illegal drugs inside your vehicle (although that is a gray area I won't go into here) don't pick up hookers and don't rob banks or get in gang fights. Your young, if you give them an excuse or pretext they will pull you over.

Crushing is actually very rarely done. Instead the vehicle, in certain situations, becomes police property and is usually sold at a police auction. (Until a couple of large lawsuits came along this was a common revenue raising tactic by many local police departments in California. They would encourage someone selling pot or something similar to step into the seller's vehicle to complete the transaction or to smoke a joint, generally at a party, and then bust them and seize the vehicle.). This fellout of favor after the aforemnetioned lawsuits and the realization by departments that big drug dealers had caught on and were leasing their vehicles at full value which had to be paid off prior to the department making anything.

The above is not to be construed as legal advice, simply a statement of current law. No attorney-client relationship has been created or is implied by these comments.

Randy,
Ventura, CA
Aaron Cox
while on legality and 914's

are 5 point harnesses legal? they are NOT DOT approved, but approved by a higher sanctioning body (forget the name)

TROJANMAN

illegal street racing

and "sideshows"

great, i guess i don't need to worry about the 20 kilo's in my trunk. laugh.gif
bondo
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Feb 16 2006, 03:33 PM)

illegal street racing

and "sideshows"

great, i guess i don't need to worry about the 20 kilo's in my trunk. laugh.gif

Keep it in the longs.. biggrin.gif
KELTY360
Can't store it in the longs, that's where I keep my rust. cool_shades.gif

Marc
lapuwali
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 16 2006, 02:10 PM)
while on legality and 914's

are 5 point harnesses legal? they are NOT DOT approved, but approved by a higher sanctioning body (forget the name)

This is actually an interesting question. It's not actually defined in the CVC. It only says you have to have seatbelts that comply with the requirements set down by the department, without explicitly stating what those requirements are.
spare time toys
QUOTE (MikeP @ Feb 16 2006, 02:08 PM)
If you are that concerned, de-tune your motor, throw some catalytic converters on it and go to the refferee at your local DMV, they will certify that your SBC is in the configuration offered in a stock vehicle from 1973 and is now in another 1973 vehicle. The state doesn't care what vehicle your 1973 motor is pushing around as long as it meets the requirements from that year.

NO converters in 73 that crap started in 75 mad.gif
eeyore
A PCASDR thread on 5 pt harness legality
lapuwali
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't consider catalytic convertors to be "crap". Out of all of the emission controls tried over this years, this has by far been the most useful. Modern 3-way units provide excellent flow, and reduce emissions by an incredible amount. They've improved substantially over the old oxidizing units originally fitted to (say) the '75 914.

Clean air is a good thing, and there really has been a difference made by the controls required over the past 30 years, as anyone who's lived in the LA Basin over that time will tell you.

Of course, I say this, and I drive a '67 912 that reeks of gas from open float bowl vents...

Dr Evil
The CVC will only state so much, there are unique laws that are on the books in different municipalities. In El Cajon, CA you can have your car impounded and have to buy it back at market value for soliciting hookers. New law that was effected as I was leaving the area (no relation in topics rolleyes.gif )

This law will ultimately end as the drug one did as the po po are doing it kinda dirty.
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 16 2006, 11:36 AM)
*snip* If the engine is older than 1973, he'd have to fit all of the '73 914 smog gear, including EFI, the charcoal canister, and all of the vent hoses. If the engine is newer than 73, he'd have to retrofit all of the equipment in use on that engine in cars with that engine in the model year of the engine. This may include catalytic convertors if the engine is a '75 or newer. *snip*

This is 1/2 correct. Legally the motor has to be the same age or newer then the car. Cant do a super early SBC, has to be from newer than the car, and have all the smog equipment that came on the motor (smog pump, cats, EGR stuff, correct air cleaner setup, etc)

Reality is it is NEVER checked, even if you get pulled over, a street cop isn't going to know everything that came on the motor.

Dont sweat it, the cops dont want to deal w/ all the paperwork impounding a car entails, they'll write you for the easy stuff and move on.

BJH
Andyrew
My main fear is of a cop that will get pissed or jealous at me and write up many claims and do everything he possibly can against me...

even though I am a very nice guy, especially to short term relations (Im a manager a taco bell... I know how to deal with an attitude the nice way..)

Thanks everyone for their input. I just hope that I dont get "caught up in the moment" and accidently race a viper or something..

because if I raced anything else.. It wouldnt look like much of a race laugh.gif (happened once...)

Thanks again!
lapuwali
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Feb 16 2006, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 16 2006, 11:36 AM)
*snip* If the engine is older than 1973, he'd have to fit all of the '73 914 smog gear, including EFI, the charcoal canister, and all of the vent hoses.  If the engine is newer than 73, he'd have to retrofit all of the equipment in use on that engine in cars with that engine in the model year of the engine.  This may include catalytic convertors if the engine is a '75 or newer.  *snip*

This is 1/2 correct. Legally the motor has to be the same age or newer then the car. Cant do a super early SBC, has to be from newer than the car, and have all the smog equipment that came on the motor (smog pump, cats, EGR stuff, correct air cleaner setup, etc)

Reality is it is NEVER checked, even if you get pulled over, a street cop isn't going to know everything that came on the motor.

Dont sweat it, the cops dont want to deal w/ all the paperwork impounding a car entails, they'll write you for the easy stuff and move on.

BJH

There was an article in a "ricer" mag about 3-4 years ago describing one guy swapping an older Honda engine into a newer Honda chassis. It had to conform to the smog regs for the newer chassis at the referee station. Perhaps this is against the letter of the law, but it's doable as a practical matter.

I'll have to look up the text, but I believe the law does state "whichever is newer, engine or chassis" determines the regs. Sometimes, it's nearly impossible to get an older engine to pass new regs simply due to the incompatibility of parts. This certainly wouldn't be true of an SBC, though. Hell, what really is the difference between a 1970 small block and a 1990 small block in terms of the basic bits, anyway? Probably not much...
Twystd1
I believe kart54 was spot on with accurate data.

NOW FOR A HIGHJACK:

By the way. In Wittier California, Buena Park California, Fontana California.

They can impound your car for illegal modifications only. (City codes)

They typically use it on ricers that are being idiots, or loud, or the cops just want them gone for X reason.

But don't think for a minute their aren't laws allowing states or municipality's to CRUSH your car for STREET RACING.

Here's some reading for ya.

They can’t take it and crush it huh….
Oh yes they can. They have and they do. Hang out in Long Beach at a LA Street Racers meet sometimes. It gets expensive around here.

LAPD Press release: Oct, 6th, 2004

In order to send a strong message to both the hard core street racer and our youth, the Los Angeles City Council enacted Los Angeles Municipal Code 41.70.2 (Nuisance Vehicles), to provide for the seizure and forfeiture of vehicles used in a motor vehicle speed contests and exhibition of speed. In short, the vehicles can be crushed if found to be a nuisance vehicle.
http://www.lapdonline.org/press_releases/2.../10/pr04499.htm

READ THIS:
In Los Angeles, for example, the police can confiscate street racers' cars and eventually crush them. "We wanted to make a strong statement that L.A. would not tolerate street racing," says Michelle Rodriguez, senior lead officer for the Sun Valley area, Los Angeles Police Department Foothill Division, who's been involved with combating the problem since 1996. "To racers, their cars are everything. If you crush them, that sends a powerful message."

READ THIS: http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20030713-10...02221-6427r.htm

READ THIS: http://zev.co.la.ca.us/scripts/apr05/LA%20...de%20racing.pdf
Look Close: In all cases where vehicles seized pursuant to this section are forfeited to the City, the vehicles shall be sold or destroyed.

How many links ya want?

And some city’s have even harder rules to comply with.

So potentially the following can happen. Based on the wording of Code 41.70.2
If you are charged with participating in a speed contest or a display of speed, you are being charged with a criminal offence, and you can go to jail.
That means the prosecutor must prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt... but the standard of proof for losing your car is much less: preponderance of the evidence. So even if you are found not guilty of racing or an exhibition of speed, you can still lose your car!

I grabbed this stuff of the net.. You guys make up your own mind.

It does happen. It is happening. That’s my 0.02

Twystd1

And Kart54 knows much more about this that I do from a legal perspective.
This is what i know from a street perspective.
redshift
Hey! I know! I'll move to Calousbassas, where you can't smoke outside, or drive a car with an air freshener! (modded, you know!)

California, GET A GRIP... your legislators are foolish, and they climb the chain, to become FEDERAL LEGISLATORS.

I am about ready to hand you over to Mexico. I am convinced it's the plan anyhow.

M
Brett W
I agree with Miles, what do you guys see as any good reason to live in CA. Move to a state where you have individual freedoms.

That said. They can't take your car and crush it if you are not racing. If they do get a lawyer and own the police department.
lapuwali
Like I said earlier, local ordinances certainly exist, but I doubt they're constitutional. Once they're properly challenged in court, they'll probably be overturned. A few lawsuits against the city would put a stop to this, but it would obviously take money to pursue this.

Also, this is still about street racing, not just driving a modified car, which was the original question.

As for the California bashing, the quoted Washington Times article talks about a similar law in Virginia. Have you checked the law books in your state?
efeinsmith
Oh the joys of California (and certain other states). When I moved from Texas to Georgia, I was in the middle of a kit car rebuild (Bradley GT-II) with a 4 cyl. Porsche engine. After completion, I registered it, but soon after, Ga. changed the law to require emission testing and the Bradley fell under the new law. When I sold it before moving, it had reached 25 yrs. old, so it was now exempt.

Retired to rural Alabama, which has NO inspections of vehicles (emission or otherwise), and to top that, if you build your own house outside of city limits, no building permits or inspections either.

I can understant that Ca. is auto mecca, but the gov't there is one huge pain in the butt. Personally, no thanks.

Eric
Allan
Hell, I'd love to get out of the state. Anybody in the Portland or Seattle area need a Safety Manager?
Porcharu
QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 17 2006, 06:40 AM)
I agree with Miles, what do you guys see as any good reason to live in CA. Move to a state where you have individual freedoms.

That said. They can't take your car and crush it if you are not racing. If they do get a lawyer and own the police department.

Only one thing. My wife lives here, and we get free good child care from her parents (2 things.) Otherwise I'd be outta here 3 years ago. I still want to leave before the kid needs to go to school.
wbergtho
"Mexifornia" is the only state in the nation where the cops will patiently follow a double homicide suspect at 30 MPH down the 405 for 60 minutes and at the same time pull over a 19 year old kid and impound his fucking car for having a loud muffler (as a stupid Harley growls by in the background)!!!!! I know a friend in Upland, CA who got thrown in jail for spray painting a small area by his pedal box while restoring a 911 in his apartment garage. A nosey neighbor didn't like the noise (compressor)and called the cops on him at 8:00 AM (I thought that wasn't too early). The cops showed up and saw him spray painting...AND GET THIS....called the Fire Dept. The boys with their big red trucks and asbestos suits arrive a few minutes later and start to investigate the "apocalyptic scene". My friend James gets irritated by the huge over reaction of the local law enforcement and Fire Dept. He gets cited with 4 violations and carted off to jail because they didn't like his attitude. NOW...all you other guys that live in a state other than CA...ask yourself if this is more likely to happen where you live. I'm betting 99-100% of all non CA residents on this forum will agree that this is a CA phenomenom only. Hey it's a beautiful state...there's alot of reasons why I still love to go there...but Jesus Christ...It's the most over legislated place in the world.

My 4 cents,

Bill
MattR
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 17 2006, 09:42 AM)
"Mexifornia" is the only state in the nation where the cops will patiently follow a double homicide suspect at 30 MPH down the 405 for 60 minutes and at the same time pull over a 19 year old kid and impound his fucking car for having a loud muffler (as a stupid Harley growls by in the background)!!!!! I know a friend in Upland, CA who got thrown in jail for spray painting a small area by his pedal box while restoring a 911 in his apartment garage. A nosey neighbor didn't like the noise (compressor)and called the cops on him at 8:00 AM (I thought that wasn't too early). The cops showed up and saw him spray painting...AND GET THIS....called the Fire Dept. The boys with their big red trucks and asbestos suits arrive a few minutes later and start to investigate the "apocalyptic scene". My friend James gets irritated by the huge over reaction of the local law enforcement and Fire Dept. He gets cited with 4 violations and carted off to jail because they didn't like his attitude. NOW...all you other guys that live in a state other than CA...ask yourself if this is more likely to happen where you live. I'm betting 99-100% of all non CA residents on this forum will agree that this is a CA phenomenom only. Hey it's a beautiful state...there's alot of reasons why I still love to go there...but Jesus Christ...It's the most over legislated place in the world.

My 4 cents,

Bill

half the people on the board call it home

dry.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 16 2006, 10:14 AM)

I dunno about specific statewide statutes, but in LA County they sieze the cars of ticketed street racers and crush 'em. Reports of such have appeared in the LA Times, along with commentary by representatives of the law enforcement community. They'd prefer the cars not be available to other potential racers. Parts ain't gonna come off the cars, either. They're in impound, and most towing companies aren't gonna jump off the gravy train to satisfy a temporary urge for a fast couple of bucks. The Cap'n
lapuwali
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 17 2006, 09:42 AM)
...It's the most over legislated place in the world.

My 4 cents,

Bill

Spoken by someone who clearly hasn't spent much time outside the Wisconsin, or wasn't paying much attention when he was...

CA has nearly 40M people, or more than the population of most of the European countries. It it were it's own country, it would be something like the 6th or 8th largest economy on the planet. It's a big place, full of people, and there are no doubt all kinds of stories that will come out of that. Anecdotes don't prove anything. Pick anywhere in the world and I'm sure you could find examples of overzealous policing.

Sticking just to cars and the US, a number of states require a safety and emissions inspection every year on every car newer than some set age, and they still require a safety inspection on all cars, regardless of age. California has no safety inspections, and only tests emissions every other year. No test until the car is 6 years old, and no test if the car is older than 1976. Even Arizona has tougher emissions laws than that. So much for "the most overlegislated place in the world".

In the UK, you have to undergo a tough annual inspection that would fail quite a few 914s currently being driven in the US. Even surface rust on a structural section of the car will fail you. In Austria, as noted on another thread, you can be failed for running non-stock WHEELS. In Italy, engine modifications are simply forbidden, full stop.
wbergtho
Didn't mean to stike a nerve with you CA boys. You still have to admit that your politicians have lost control! ohmy.gif
John
Do they have the California residents march the goose-step yet?

How about the whole Sig Heil! thing?

Don't worry, it'll come.

Just wait.....
LvSteveH
Gee.. who's a better governor Arnold Schwartzenmoron or Jessie Venturitable. Personally I'd move out of any state who's majority would VOTE these guys in. Then again, the whole political process is a joke.
wbergtho
Hey Geek,

Thanks for the history lesson. I put down my straw hat for a while so I could read your "vent". By the way, I've probably been to three times as many foreign countries as you have (fly free) and have a very clear understanding of the demographics in CA. Thankyou. pissoff.gif
WRX914
Exactly what is a "nuisance vehicle"? That will be the contigent factor in all of this hub-bub. There is a little thing called the Constitution of the United States... something about you can not deprive someone of life, liberty or personal property without due cause. I say all of the "laws" are bullshit and are designed to distract the public from streetracing for fear of thier car being crushed. The fact is that this act is unconstitutional and can and eventually will stand up in court.

I won a lawsuit against the State of Illinois department of Revenue in the Illinois State Supreme Court based on pretty much the same bs. It took me three years to get my $$ back (which they ILLEGEALLY seized), but I got it. It is amazing what you can do with Larry Pozner and Geprge Taseff on your side!

pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.