Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealing case halves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
I'm ready to put my case halves of my motor back together, what is the best sealant to use?
Allan
I don't know what others may say but I used Permatex 3H that Jake recommended in his rebuild video.

Wurked gud.
McMark
Loctite 574

Very expensive, but works great.
Eric Taylor
That 574 is all the rage with the 6 guys, aught to be good for our little 4's smile.gif
Jake Raby
The best sealant I have found for the TIV case is Curil K 2- I carry it at my store as it is a German sealant that is hard to get.

That 574 is all the rage with the 6 guys, aught to be good for our little 4's

Huge misconception!

Thinking that way is similar to the "Bigger is better" way of thought and it's just not true... When I have used 574 engines would begin to leak after 6-8 months of service.

I have used literally hundreds of sealants on TIV engines to create the absolutely no leak reputation we have gained, Curil K 2 is the best case sealant I have ever seen, and its not messy to use or to clean up!

My sealants handbook is at the publisher now, 45 pages dedicated to the proper sealing of the TIV engine ONLY!
McMark
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 16 2006, 12:08 PM)
My sealants handbook is at the publisher now, 45 pages dedicated to the proper sealing of the TIV engine ONLY!

drooley.gif

*sets aside $*
John
Curil K 2 is the best case sealant I have ever seen

Is that the greenish stuff? I like that too.
MattR
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Feb 16 2006, 12:28 PM)
Curil K 2 is the best case sealant I have ever seen

Is that the greenish stuff? I like that too.

Its a dark yellow/brown color. Not as dark as 3H... tough to describe, but its not green.
John
Its a dark yellow/brown color.

Then is it the stuff that actually gets hard? That comes in a bottle with a brush attached to the lid?
McMark
The green stuff is Curil-T, same brand, different product. wink.gif
Jake Raby
It never dries and is a very pasty substance with a lot of wax content. The wax repels the oil, so this sealant is considered an "Oil barrier"..

It REALLY works. I just used it to seal up the case halves of a 40,000 buck TIV engine that I have been working on for almost 1.5 year!
alpha434
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 16 2006, 01:11 PM)
..... seal up the case halves of a 40,000 buck TIV engine ....

WHAT?!?! ohmy.gif
Britain Smith
I used Dow Corning product (gotta look for the exact name) that does similar things...never dries.

-Britain
TimT
The Dow-Corning product is #730

It works very well for sealing case halves, etc. However at $70/tube its a silly product for a guy who builds an engine every few years..

That Curil is the schiznitz also...

or Yamabond

fyi:

730 Solvent Resistant— Contains fluorosilicone rubber, which resists swelling when exposed to fuel, oil, and most solvents. Nonrunning paste for repairing fuel lines and tanks, bonding components exposed to solvents, and making formed-in-place gaskets. May corrode certain metals (including copper, brass, zinc, and carbon steel).
Britain Smith
Yep, thats the stuff.

-Britain
dwillouby
Try Yamabond#4. Its sole purpose is that of a case sealer. Comes in a tube for about 7 bucks. I have used it for years on motorcycle race engines. Good stuff.

David
alpha434
What's in the yamabond.

We always use the loctite, for fours and sixes. But I think I might try some of the other stuff out there.
Twystd1
Whatever it's worth.

I used Yamabond ONCE once on a type4 ..

Never again.. It hardened after about six months and leaked in three differant places. WHAT A PAIN....

I assume that the case temps are differant than bike engines.
(truth is I don't know)

When I took the case apart. The Yamabond had lightly carboned up and wasn't pliable any more...

And I don't believe that engine was EVER overheated.
(don't know for sure)

This is just my experience. That don't mean it doesn't work..

Just not every time...

Now let's talk about the dental floss trick..
Jake you listening?????

Never again.... Curil rules.

Twystd1
alpha434
Wait! Dental floss trick?!?!? What? ohmy.gif
TimT
Now let's talk about the dental floss trick.

not sure what to say about that...Its not good practice now.. and it was a band-aid then?

Twystd1
Agreed.

The new guys..(Alpha) have never heard of it... biggrin.gif

With the excellent machining available in So Cal.. it isn't needed.

Twystd1
akellym
I found this at our local part store. Any thoughts?
I was thinking of try this, but Jake's stuff sound pretty good.

518 Gasket Eliminator® Flange Sealant

Forms a flexible, solvent-resistant seal that will not tear or decay. Seals to 300°F and fills gaps to 0.050". Can be used on flexible metal assemblies including aluminum surfaces. Easy disassembly and cleaning.

Typical Applications
Seals close fitting joints between rigid metal faces and flanges. Provides resistance to low pressures immediately after assembly of flanges. Typically used as a form-in-place gasket on rigid flanged connections e.g. gearbox and engine casings, etc.
Cap'n Krusty
While Kuril K2 is good, it may be difficult to find. Yamabond is good, Hylomar is good, and I use Permatex Ultra Blue a lot. It's forgiving of flaws in the surface, and seems to last well. I have a number of 15 year old engines running around that have it, and they're not leakers. The Cap'n doesn't build leakers. never has, never will. The Cap'n
Thorshammer
As for case sealing:

I have used 3m 1301 or Yamabond, or Honda bond. I do not use Honda bond HT (High Temp) because it is much more viscous and when setting provides a much thicker gasket. As for Yamabond failing, I know that is your experience, but I have never seen it, even with engines that have been severely overheated. I use a motorcycle sealant every engine I have built over the past 15 years. They have all served me very well, and many of the engines that have found their way back to me for freshen ups, are still oil tight at the crankcase parting. Including my race engines, and Ed Givlers for that matter.

I would use what Raby says. He has built more engines than any of us combined.

Erik Madsen
Jake Raby
DO NOT SEAL CASE HALVES WITH 518! If you do you can forget EVER tearing the engine back apart! I live by 518 and introduced it to the aircooled world in the late 90s, but a HUGE mistake was sealing case halves with it, the second biggest mistake is using it to seal cylinders as it sets in a matter of 5-6 seconds and will create unequal deck heights every time.

I have used Hylomar before as well and Curil T and yamabond and about every thing else you can find...

All others are inferior in some way to the Curil K2...

Now the real trick is a certain item found in your medicine cabinet that will seal case halves with no sealant at all, it's wax covered and gets used in conjunction with K2 it's super tight!
alpha434
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 18 2006, 03:32 PM)
Now the real trick is a certain item found in your medicine cabinet that will seal case halves with no sealant at all, it's wax covered and gets used in conjunction with K2 it's super tight!

Is this another reference to the floss trick that I've never heard of?
Jake Raby
Floss has multiple uses.
ventilator01
Im will assemble my engine soon, can I use this curil k2 for more than the case? I have the bug me vol 8 video, and permatex is mostly used in the video (not on the case), but its not for sale (permatex) at aircooledtechnology.net, so Im assuming they no longer use it. Im trying to make a list of sealants Im going to need when I reassemble.
thx for any advice
steve
sean_v8_914
Jake: Tribond 1104?
Jake Raby
QUOTE (ventilator01 @ Feb 18 2006, 05:57 PM)
Im will assemble my engine soon, can I use this curil k2 for more than the case? I have the bug me vol 8 video, and permatex is mostly used in the video (not on the case), but its not for sale (permatex) at aircooledtechnology.net, so Im assuming they no longer use it. Im trying to make a list of sealants Im going to need when I reassemble.
thx for any advice
steve

The video is approaching 6 years old.... Then many of the sealants we now use were not available, or discovered.

My handbook will answer all the questions, and all the sealants are available on my store site.

A good rule of thumb is buy one of each sealant we list, every one we use is kept on the shelves and sold through the store.

Permatex aviation is a good default sealant, but is has been far superceded since the video was produced.. Aviation is designed to be removed after 1200 hours of service in light aircraft and it will generally start to leak/seep after 3-4 years of service on the TIV engine in my experience.
pek771
Gasgacinch
Twystd1
Wax covered stuff...

Only if ya know how to cut it in half.... LENGTHWYS....

biggrin.gif

Twystd1

Jake.. You gunna tell em???
ventilator01
A good rule of thumb is buy one of each sealant we list, every one we use is kept on the shelves and sold through the store.

Permatex aviation is a good default sealant, but is has been far superceded since the video was produced.. Aviation is designed to be removed after 1200 hours of service in light aircraft and it will generally start to leak/seep after 3-4 years of service on the TIV engine in my experience.

Are you saying to buy everything listed here.. but dont need these three ->if I get the others.. aviation, hylomar, and curil T?
KevinP
Jake,

I know you have used ProSeal while doing work in the aviation world, does it have any business on a TIV. I know it is hard to work with?

KP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.