Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heating and wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rocket
hey, im in school right now, and I have been thinking about a few questions that I have and hoping that someone can answer them.

have a 74, 1.8l
yesterday I installed my heating, which consistes of a flapper box on the drier side, which is wired open, and a tube going from the heater channels, to the longs. now, i drove it yesterday and the heat kinda worked, i got defogger, but the blower that is next to the steering wheel, is not working. i turn the fan on and it kinda puts out cool air, but no heat.

also, i know that there is something wrong with the wiring because when i pull the heat lever up by the shifter, the fan in the engine bay does not go on. so today i will work on that when i get out of school. but what confounds me is this.

when i put the fan lever on the dashboard all the way to the right, it interfears with the radio. the radio flixers on and off. does anyone know the exact wiring of what is suppose to be underneath the dashboard on the heat levers? because I think that there is something not right underneath there.

also, when I was driving to school this morning, i noticed somthing that caused me to get concerend greatly. I started the car, and then waited for it to heat up for a couple of minutes. then when i was driving, i noticed that the fuel gague was skipping around. from empty to half full, to empty. and also, the tackometer dosnt seem to be working, but the speedometer dose. AND the tripometer dosnt work right, although the odometer seems to be working correctly.

if you have any suggestions on what I can do, it would be greatly appriated.

-rocket
r_towle
The heater control levers on the dash.

The top one controls the fresh air fan (the fan that is right under the windshield) So, in the winter when you want heat, that lever stays all the way to the left, and you keep the fresh air fan off...it just introduces COLD fresh air to the system.

The other two levers, go to the right.

The radio flickering is probably due to the radio wiring getting tangled in the heater control levers...you need to get under there and wire tie the radio wiring so it does not touch the heater levers.

the HEATER fan is in the engine bay.
It is controlled by the heater lever next to the shifter. That lever has an electrical connection on the bottom that activates the fan in the engine bay with the key in the run/on postition.

The jumpy tachometer is due to a loose fuse...pick up the fuses off the floor and put them back in...twist them to ensure that they are seated correctly.
The tach gets its signal from a wire going directly to the coil...make sure all the coil wires are connected correctly, and the coil itself is not loose and able to wiggle in its home...The original coil mounting bracket is not the right size for some coils...you need to make sure the coil cannot move...if you tighten it and it still moves, remove the coil, wrap it in duct tape to make it fatter and then put it back in and tighten it.

The speedo/trip meter.
NEVER try to reset the trip meter with the car moving...that will break the trip meter. While sitting still, turn the little knob under the dash until the trip meter goes all the way around and back to zero zero zero...keep turning..it will get there.
Then start driving..
If it still does not work, it never will..someone turned it while the car was moving and it no longer is engaged....we have other speedos to replace it...

Rich
Rocket
you know, i should just never even bother trying to ask a question on the board, cause all i have to do is walk up to you and ask it.

r_towle
not true...keep asking, if I can answer, great...if not, we will both learn something....that is why this board is so great...

Besides...I could be wrong you know....it has happened...I think once...
possibly twice....

Rich
Rocket
i dont know, i vaguly remember you being wrong about somthing to do with the heat box things up front by the wiper motor. and being wrong about stuff at robotics.
rhodyguy
the fan in the fresh air box does not provide heat. decifer the controls. 2 top levers all the way to the right lets in COLD air. notice the blue tapered symbol. the lever(red knob) on the bottom controls warm/hot air out the windshild or underdash vents. you must take out the 2 bolts that retain the lever on the floor, and make sure that the green wire is connected to the tab on the lever, it provides the ground for the aux heat fan located in the engine compartment. you need to check the fuse and the round relay on the relay board (in the engine compartment! not under the dash). does your aux heat fan (the one in the engine compartment) work properly, run? are the hoses from the fan to the j-tubes in place? if not you must cap the j-tubes. unless you have late (75-76) heat exchangers, you should have 2 heat/flapper valves and 2 hoses to the tubes on the firewall. take some pictures and post them in this thread so we can see what you are doing and what you have.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.