Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Blockedsites at school
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rocket
alright, i knwo there is resons for having blocked sites in high schools, but sometimes it sucks. there was a website called www.proxy7.com where you could create an anonomousy proxy server off their siteand then get on to any site. but now the school has gotten wind of that, and now has blocked that site.

does anyone know any other sites that do the like so that we can have our freedom to look at stuff, like http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/cardrifting.html
in school?
sean_v8_914
"you need to pay the cost to be the boss" BB King
ArtechnikA
show why the sites you want to access are needed to fulfill your curriculum requirements, and you'll get access to what you need.

otherwise, stop trying to use tax money for playtime.
(just my OT opinion, since you ask ...)
jonwatts
It's a losing battle. I'm sure someone is closely watching what sites are being visited and a proxy service like the one you mentioned will show up quickly since everything you do gets routed through there.

At least that's what happened to me at work wink.gif

Kids, stay in school and just say NO!

WRX914
Hmmm... idea.gif I wonder why the school does not want sites like this available to kids?

Maybe it is cause they want you to learn how to drive responsibly? driving.gif

or

Maybe it is the free condom link... sheeplove.gif
SirAndy
biggrin.gif

the only computer we had in school was *one* TRS-80, no harddrive, 8" floppy drive, black/green monitor.

i learned assembler/machine language on that thing ...

TRS 80

8 Inch Floppies

ah, the memories ...
beer3.gif type.gif Andy

Screencapture:

user posted image
riverman
QUOTE (Rocket @ Feb 16 2006, 11:59 AM)
alright, i knwo there is resons for having blocked sites in high schools, but sometimes it sucks. there was a website called www.proxy7.com where you could create an anonomousy proxy server off their siteand then get on to any site. but now the school has gotten wind of that, and now has blocked that site.

does anyone know any other sites that do the like so that we can have our freedom to look at stuff, like http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/cardrifting.html
in school?

Instead of using your spare time for questionable (albeit creative) purposes, why not spend a little time and effort learning how to write and spell correctly. wink.gif
boxsterfan
Geez...and I spent my time hacking the Apple Basic code for my Business Law class so that my team could win a contest.

Seriously, this will end up being a cat and mouse game for you forever with the school's IT team. Plus, be careful of the consequences if you keep yanking their chain (i.e. finding a different proxy, getting blocked, finding another proxy, getting blocked, finding yet another proxy, getting sent to the principal's office).

I know this may sound too much like an old person, but your education is much more valuable than watching drifting videos....and I like to watch those also!!

prop.gif
WRX914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 16 2006, 09:31 AM)
biggrin.gif

the only computer we had in school was *one* TRS-80, no harddrive, 8" floppy drive, black/green monitor.

TRS 80

8 Inch Floppies

ah, the memories ...
beer3.gif type.gif Andy

Screencapture:

user posted image

The ole TRS 80... Radio Shack's better days! w00t.gif

How about the Texas Instruments TI99-4A?

10 CLS
20 Print "Keith"
30 goto 10

great stuff...
KaptKaos
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 16 2006, 09:31 AM)
biggrin.gif

TRS 80

8 Inch Floppies

ah, the memories ...
beer3.gif type.gif Andy

Screencapture:

user posted image

Floppy drives? You had floppy drives?!?! Why you noob!! We had a tape cassette that we used to save files.
KaptKaos
QUOTE (Rocket @ Feb 16 2006, 08:59 AM)

in school?

Back to the topic, stop monkeying with the security system at your school. They are trying to comply with Federal Law. Surf for that stuff at home.
Pugbug
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 16 2006, 09:35 AM)

in school?

Instead of using your spare time for questionable (albeit creative) purposes, why not spend a little time and effort learning how to write and spell correctly. wink.gif

Give the kid a break! I'm sure he can write and spell just fine, but dosn't feel the need to capitalize or correct his typos.
Who died and made you "teacher"?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 16 2006, 10:35 AM)

in school?

ohmy.gif laugh.gif
Allan
Here is what the computers looked like when I was in school.

fiid
Go to www.eff.org and read about Tor. (the O in Tor is an onion in the logo) You should be able to get it to do what you need. While you're there you might want to read and/or do something about other infringements on your privacy and liberty.

flag.gif

The other guys are right too: Try and learn some stuff as well - it's easier to buy bigger and more powerful cars if you're in a good career making bank - and learning a lot is a pretty decent way of getting there (broadly speaking).

nomore9one4

in school?

Maybe his spell check is blocked! lol2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 16 2006, 10:04 AM)

I still have a couple of those! My Ex went to the local JC in the late 70s and used punch cards, and my oldest son had a Sinclair computer when he started out. The Trash 80 came out a little later, IIRC. The Cap'n
rhodyguy
how's about you not concern yourself with defeating the school's internet policy and staying on task. like... STUDYING, AND DOING YOUR SCHOOL WORK? rolleyes.gif

K
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 16 2006, 11:15 AM)
and my oldest son had a Sinclair computer when he started out. The Trash 80 came out a little later, IIRC.

about the same time, yes ... we got the TRS in school in '78 ...

funny bit of trivia about the 8" floppy drive, the read/write head was the size of a matchbook and was moved over the floppy by a large metal spindle the thickness of my index-finder.
if you took off the cover you could watch it work and it reminded me of some medieval torture machine ...

before that, we used punchcards ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

PS: now back on topic. take it from a "every school possible" dropout, here's my bit of advice:

carpe diem

while you're there, you might as well learn something. 10 years from now, you'll be really glad you did!
Eddie Williams
My dad bought me a Timex Sinclair 1000 as my first computer, then we stepped up to a TI-99/4A, I remember when we got the floppy drive for it, whoo hoo!!! We had TRS-80s in Jr High, and I couldn't wait to get to HS where they had a lab of Apple II computers!!! Ahh those were the days.
Toast

in school?

lol2.gif eye dunno wat ue tawkin aboute.
bd1308
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 16 2006, 11:31 AM)
biggrin.gif

TRS 80

8 Inch Floppies

ah, the memories ...
beer3.gif type.gif Andy

Screencapture:

user posted image

ah the trash 80

laugh.gif

b
nbscooters
I used to have the same problem in high school. You can use a translator such as babel fish to browse the sites. You can also try to cache it through google by typing in the internet address and viewing the site cached. Proxys work but 9/10 times they will get blocked. or you can become good friends with a teacher than can change your prvilages. hahha. thats what i did.
ClayPerrine
Britt,
Have you actually SEEN a TRS-80?

I didn't think so....

My first experience with computers was a high school computer lab. We had 3 TRS-80 model 1s, one with the 64K expansion box on it. The only external storage we had was an audio tape drive.

We also had 15 dumb terminals with acoustic coupled 300 baud modems. We had to use a dial phone to call the local university where they had shared computer time.

I remember it vividly.. the response to a wrong password was "Close, but no cigar". Pissed me off everytime I saw it.

Those were the BAD old days.
bd1308
i bet there's a way to set up a proxy server site on my debian server....

hmmm.....

b
rjames
Go to www.eff.org and read about Tor. (the O in Tor is an onion in the logo) You should be able to get it to do what you need. While you're there you might want to read and/or do something about other infringements on your privacy and liberty.

Yeah, like that misguided rule about not bringing firearms to class!

Your liberty to pursue unauthorized websites on a computer that you don't own is being violated? wacko.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 16 2006, 03:12 PM)
Britt,
Have you actually SEEN a TRS-80?

I didn't think so....

My first experience with computers was a high school computer lab. We had 3 TRS-80 model 1s, one with the 64K expansion box on it. The only external storage we had was an audio tape drive.

We also had 15 dumb terminals with acoustic coupled 300 baud modems. We had to use a dial phone to call the local university where they had shared computer time.

I remember it vividly.. the response to a wrong password was "Close, but no cigar". Pissed me off everytime I saw it.

Those were the BAD old days.

nope. i havent clay.

I've owned several apple IIe's though.

i didnt give it that nickname.....

b
alpha434
Jeeze guys! You are all terrible. Why not just NOT hassle the kid if you don't want to help him.

I used portable firefox and a proxy mod file for it all through high school. They didn't catch wind of it for three years. Usually the kids were way sharper at my vocational school than all the sysops in the whole county. aktion035.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 16 2006, 03:18 PM)
Jeeze guys! You are all terrible. Why not just NOT hassle the kid if you don't want to help him.

I used portable firefox and a proxy mod file for it all through high school. They didn't catch wind of it for three years. Usually the kids were way sharper at my vocational school than all the sysops in the whole county. aktion035.gif

but which proxy server did you use?

b

edit: actually man you must be pretty well-known, since you know each and every sysop in the country enough to dog every one of them. save it.
brer
Yea stop wasting my taxes!!! lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

CONFORM
CONFORM
CONFORM
CONFORM
CONFORM
CONFORM
Rick_Eberle
How many of the people telling him to stop surfing the net while he's at school, are posting from work (Like I am right now)???
bd1308
i'm finding out if i can put a proxy on my debian server, i'l get back to you.

b
ClayPerrine
Britt... I know that you didn't name it a trash-80. That name has been around longer than you have.

As for surfing at work, I am not... It's a beautiful day, approximately 80 outside. My car is in the garage, and I am home with the flu.... icon8.gif :puke:

If I need to get around a corporate firewall, I use the VPN back to our company's lab. I termserv into one of the lab boxes, and use it's browser to access the internet. No sound, but then again I don't need it for what I am doing.

alpha434
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 16 2006, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 16 2006, 03:18 PM)

but which proxy server did you use?

b

edit: actually man you must be pretty well-known, since you know each and every sysop in the country enough to dog every one of them. save it.

Thats county with no R.

And my county used "Bess" to block sites. It was always blocked locally with a ping to a main server to request sites. Internet explorer would ping bess. Portable Firefox won't and just connects directly.
alpha434
Not sysops in Jeffco. Lazy, undertrained and poorly staffed, well, for the most part. And boy isn't sysop an archaic term? Network administrators.

But yeah. It probably bounced a different server. All the school computers were set to just ping the bess server. Portable firefox was never told to ping anything in particular. Just to ping away. It's a good program. If you don't need to save history, or favorites, I used it on a 32mb usb drive.
r_towle
Give no advise....Give no proxy tools. Im not telling him...make him learn it on his own.

Father of Rocket...

Rich
smontanaro
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 16 2006, 12:04 PM)

Me too. My algebra teacher had a monstrous slide rule that hung from above the chalkboard. (Do they still have chalkboards?) Didn't see an honest-to-goodness 'puter until I got to college where I took a FORTRAN class at night between my frosh and soph years at USC...

Now look at me, writing trading software for a living. All because I couldn't spend my time surfing around when I should have been doing my homework. wink.gif

Skip Montanaro
Mueller
QUOTE (r_towle @ Feb 16 2006, 03:03 PM)
Give no advise....Give no proxy tools. Im not telling him...make him learn it on his own.

Father of Rocket...

Rich

smilie_pokal.gif

best response smile.gif

Gint
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 16 2006, 02:47 PM)
Not sysops in Jeffco. Lazy, undertrained and poorly staffed, well, for the most part. And boy isn't sysop an archaic term? Network administrators.

But yeah. It probably bounced a different server. All the school computers were set to just ping the bess server. Portable firefox was never told to ping anything in particular. Just to ping away. It's a good program. If you don't need to save history, or favorites, I used it on a 32mb usb drive.

wacko.gif
riverman
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 16 2006, 12:35 PM)

in school?

Okay. After sitting on it for a while and reading other responses, I'm starting to feel like I was a little harsh. Sorry Rocket. I realise that you're still in high school, and a little guidance goes a lot further than criticism - and if I'm going to criticize, it should at least be constructive.

It's my opinion that when dealing in a forum of the written word, people should at least take the time to check their spelling and grammar. If you were speaking to a group of people you wouldn't mumble and mispronounce every other word because you would probably be misunderstood. Writing is kind of the same thing. It's still the english language, just in another form.

It could be argued that I didn't put much thought or effort into my response either. For that I apologise.
swl
Bandwidth costs the schools big bucks. If students (and staff) are eating it up having fun then those who are doing school work complain that the internet is too slow.

By the way - it is probably not anyone at the school or district making the call on individual web sites. Products like Dan's Guardian does that for them. This site may have won itself a 'commerce' designation or perhaps a 'time wasters' designation.

Save the school bandwidth for research associated with your studies. Learn here from home.

Oh - and check your 'acceptable use policy' before you go trying to defeat the filter. Ya might get some crotchety old IT manager in your face talkin 'disciplinary action'.

Edit: 914world.com is clean on URLblacklist.com
Rocket
ok, to all you old dudes, i am an A student, who is in most honors classes. including senior algebra, senior english, and AP french. and i am a junior. so poo on you.
the class that i surf the interent in is Environmental studies, which is tought by a teacher who is obsessed with ducks. right now, we are drawing ducks!. i have finished, and so am allowed to surf the internet. so im not wasting my time.

and theres no spell check on this site, so poo on you again
SirAndy
QUOTE (Rocket @ Feb 16 2006, 07:17 PM)
so poo on you.

well well, a A student with an attitude! biggrin.gif

like i have never seen that before ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
alpha434
No need to threaten people, Rocket. Haha. Some guys just hate young guns. It's too bad. We'll be carrying the flag here sooner or later. ohmy.gif

smilie_flagge6.gif smilie_flagge24.gif
alpha434
And ducks ARE cool. aaron.gif

av-943.gif
Gint
Doe that make the instructor a "Quack"? laugh.gif
Rocket
yes, i agree, ducks are cool, and belive me, the instructer is a compley quack
tdgray
wacko.gif Great another little shaver gonna tell us all how it is.

I love these popcorn[1].gif
Sparky
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 16 2006, 10:26 PM)
Some guys just hate young guns. It's too bad. We'll be carrying the flag here sooner or later.

Once you have the scars and have earned the respect of the collective majority, then you may carry the flag. In the mean time you shall be smacked on the nose with a rolled up news paper. Puppy.
rhodyguy
carry on with your studies then, and don't worry about defeating the school's internet policy slap.gif . you can play with Ebaum's voice/phrase toy (it's great fun for those who have never seen it) at home where there are no restrictions. we will school you in the heel/sit/stay commands with hand signals, in due time! poke.gif wink.gif

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.