Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drain the Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnmhudson111
I have a 1/2 tank of gas in the car and need to drain it. Is there an easy way to do this?
tat2dphreak
clamp-n-cut one of the bottom hoses and drain it into a bucket or 2
rhodyguy
if it still has the fi, remove the supply line to the fi pump. borrow a facet pump, hook it up to the supply line @ the engine side firewall, put a long piece of hose on the outlet of the facet, hook the facet up to a bat with some wires and pump away. i've done the "drain it under the tank". if you don't have a gas can big enough, the fuel is going to spill every where when you are trying to change catch cans. the initial undo usually results in a bath. if you are running a facet or pump for carbs, just put a long piece of hose on the pump.

k
gopack
I went to the FLAPS and got 20 feet of the cheeepest hose they sold, and went to radio shack and got a 110 VAC to 12 VDC power supply from the local radio shack. I then hooked the leads for my fuel pump to the power supply, and connected the hose to the pump, put the other end in my sons gass filler and turned it on!. no mess , no (few) gas fumes, and pretty safe. got 99% of the gas out of the tank.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 16 2006, 01:52 PM)
if it still has the fi, remove the supply line to the fi pump. borrow a facet pump, hook it up to the supply line @ the engine fireside firewall, put a long piece of hose on the outlet of the facet, hook the facet up to a bat with some wires and pump away. i've done the "drain it under the tank". if you don't have a gas can big enough, the fuel is going to spill every where when you are trying to change catch cans. the initial undo usually results in a bath. if you are running a facet or pump for carbs, just put a long piece of hose on the pump.

k

I was thinking that I could unhook the fuel line from the engine and just turn the key and let it pump itself dry.

Question: Is the stock pump not workable for this method?
Mueller
QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Feb 16 2006, 12:00 PM)
I was thinking that I could unhook the fuel line from the engine and just turn the key and let it pump itself dry.

Question: Is the stock pump not workable for this method?

it'll work, why wouldn't it work???

it can supply fuel to you engine for hours wacko.gif

just be safe no matter what method you use.....and just remember there will be some fuel left in the tank.....not much, but enough to pour out and make a mess or be hazardous...
rhodyguy
would it depend on l or d jet? isn't one of them a constant on and one only when the engine is running? lots of pressure. secure the line so it doesn't turn into one of those water wiggle garden hose toys we had when we were kids. a whipping hose, spraying fuel, you won't be able to get to the key fast enough!! ohmy.gif "the stench. it will be great" beldar conehead.

k
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 16 2006, 02:03 PM)

it can supply fuel to you engine for hours wacko.gif

Was thinking that the high psi that the pump produces could make it dangerous.
Mueller
QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Feb 16 2006, 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 16 2006, 02:03 PM)

it can supply fuel to you engine for hours  :wacko:

Was thinking that the high psi that the pump produces could make it dangerous.

it's dangerous no matter what method..if you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't do it.....what is "safe" for one person, is not safe for another.....

i've done it and I'm sure other have as well...it's up to "you" to make the judgement call
rhodyguy
if you can, this is a task best done outside of the garage. inside, open the doors and windows. do not activate the electic door opener after you have started. if you have a refrig, unplug it. waterheater? shut the gas off.

k

yarin
When I drained the tank on my brother's 944 we clamped a garden hose to the fuel line. Just ran the pump and dumped 1/2 a tank (10 gals) into the beater 1990 taurus. worked well.

I drained the tank on the 914 last week, maybe 3-4 gals. I pulled the line off the carbs and stuck it in the container. Ran the pump and thats that. Pretty easy.

Be VERY careful when working with fuel. The vapors can ignite.
VaccaRabite
When I did mine, I went totally old school. I just used a length of hose and syphoned the gas from the 914 directly into the gas tank of my subaru. The only punmping that I needed to do was get the flow going with a one way ball pump.

Just make sure the bottom of the 914 tank is higher then the filler cap of where ever you are syphoning the gas to, and let physics take care of the rest.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Feb 16 2006, 10:30 AM)
I have a 1/2 tank of gas in the car and need to drain it. Is there an easy way to do this?

yes, let your fuel pump do the work ...

get a few large plastic fuel canisters, remove the feed line where it goes to the fuel rail, fiddle it through under the car or into the rear trunk, depending on length, route it into a canister, jumper the fuel pump and sit back and relax with a nice cold
beer3.gif

beerchug.gif Andy
rhodyguy
andy, will just doing your jumperwire trick (in the classics) power a fi pump continously too? that was the real deal for using the stock fp wiring to power the carb pump. smilie_pokal.gif

k
SirAndy
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 16 2006, 11:44 AM)
andy, will just doing your jumperwire trick (in the classics) power a fi pump continously too? that was the real deal for using the stock fp wiring to power the carb pump. smilie_pokal.gif

yepp, that'll work!

just remember to disconnect your coil, you don't want to burn through your points ...
wink.gif Andy
bperry
I've seen the question pop up several times.
Answers always seem complicated to me.
I found that you can simply unhook the supply hose just before the fuel filter under
the battery tray and let gravity do its job.
Opening the fuel filler cap helps a bit. When I did mine, I drained about 6
gallons of fuel.
Took less than 30 minutes and used no electricity or fuel pumps.

After that, I lifted up the tank, tilted it tward the drivers side and cut
the lines on the bottom of the tank.
Whole process wasn't that complicated and I didn't have to remove
the front hood either.

--- bill
jr91472
keep a fire ext. handy biggrin.gif
Sparky
Geesh all you high tech weenies are missing the obvious answer:

DRIVE THAE DAMN THING!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Seagrave
First working fire I ever went to was to a house where a guy draining the tank of his VW in his garage. Fumes + Water Heater pilot light = Boom. He ended up with second degree burns on his arms cuz he managed to push it out of the garage. Lotsa damage there and smoke damage to his home since he had left the garage-to-kitchen door open. Follow Rhody's advice, do it outside.
sharper
I actually need to get some old gas out of mine this weekend. Last time I did this I got one of those cheap pumps that hook to a drill. Put one hose in the gas tank and the other in a bucket. Just took a couple minutes to pump it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.