Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick question on venting clearance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
Pelican says .2mm. Someone here says .1mm. So maybe I'll hit somewhere in the middle? When I am checking this, I am checking from the back of the caliper(see pic)

Question one - Is this the best place to check or does it even matter?

Question two - Should I be holding the pads back up against the piston in the caliper when I check? Or should I just let them "float" in there whil I verify the clearance?

I'm just making a few tweaks before I hit the road to Joe's place on Saturday.
Allan
That's were I checked mine. I might be wrong but I just snugged them up enough to keep the feeler gage from pulling out and then backed it off just enough so I could slide it out with just a little resistance.
Joe Ricard
Yep sounds right to me. factory was .004 I do mine at .003
I have one warped rotor so each pad is set to not drag on the high spot. Yea I know I gotta get that fixed.
SLITS
Ja sticken der veeler guage beeeetweeens da rotor und der kotex.....sie sitten der clearance mit der screw at 0.002", nicht der 0.004" order 0.003", solemente der 0.002". Wenn sie half gefinished der ein side, sie goen to der order und setzen die samea. Sit gettin 0.004" uberalles.

Verstehen?
MoveQik
ass sphincter says wha??
MoveQik
Ok, I get your drift. I'll just put the gauge in between the two and put everyhting back together. If the guage stays put while driving I'll assume it is a little too tight and loosen things up a bit. huh.gif
SLITS
Achtung....I use 0.002" per side...gives a nice hi pedal, but still gives venting clearance...

You don't need brakes anyway....there ain't nuthin to hit between here and Phoenix. Well, maybe you could kill an Octavia? or Saguro.
MoveQik
Just provide a nice soft place for me to crash as I try to stop at Joe's. I would prefer to not hit anyone's fat ass.
Aaron Cox
man i swore factory clearance was .008 or .006... i set mine to .004.....

and uh, where else would you check venting clearances other than the back of the caliper?? biggrin.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 16 2006, 02:17 PM)
and uh, where else would you check venting clearances other than the back of the caliper?? biggrin.gif

Check the Pelican how-to.... confused24.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 16 2006, 03:17 PM)
man i swore factory clearance was .008 or .006... i set mine to .004.....

Yer ass cheeeeks........ av-943.gif
Elliot_Cannon
So, AAron swears the factory clearance is .008 or .006 but set his at .004? I'm not sure which is more entertaining. The 914 or the people that own them? laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot
davep
You check between the pad and the rotor. Each pad separately. .004" or .1mm your choice. Factory figure is for both sides of the rotor together, but you do not measure it that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.