Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlamp cleaning system, you 914 have one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Looking at my trusty haynes manual rolleyes.gif and on page 134 there is a section on headlamp cleaning systems and I quote:

" A headlamp cleaning system is available for later models, and is controlled from a rocker switch on the instrument panel. The water reservior is adjacent to the spare tire and has a capacity of 15 lmp pt/18 US pt (8.5 liters)"

So does anyone have the system?
Aaron Cox
2 systems available

early bumper tops had little nubs with jets in them, and late model bumper caps were available with them.

talk to kargeek, he has the early style top, but not the workings
SLITS
Yeh....Windex and newspaper
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Feb 17 2006, 12:15 AM)
So does anyone have the system?

I've never even seen an oem 914 headlight cleaning system. Probably more rare than a sportomatic.
boxstr
Hmmm what is this sticking out of my bumper rubber
tdgray
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 17 2006, 01:30 PM)

Maybe it's a tumor huh.gif
alpha434
There was a local guy out here that has one. I actually caught him using it. Tried to get him to join the local contingent. He never followed up. dry.gif

Silver '74 in concourse quality.
tdgray
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 17 2006, 01:34 PM)
There was a local guy out here that has one. I actually caught him using it. Tried to get him to join the local contingent. He never followed up. dry.gif

Let me guess.

The next Ti project right? biggrin.gif just watch the CD effect though rolleyes.gif
Allan
So your headlamps get dirty, squirt them with water.

Now they are muddy. dry.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 17 2006, 09:30 AM)

Cool, I never seen these on a 914 before.
davep
Yes, I have a system, and a friend in NY state west of Buffalo has one installed.
SLITS
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 17 2006, 10:30 AM)

It is an aerodynamic device developed by Muller to spoil the air around the pop up headlights to increase the speed of a 914 by 0.4 MPH with a secondary application of spraying cooling water on the H4 bulbs to keep them from melting the plastic surrounds.

It was a "one off" project during his lucid days. You can prolly sell them for a kazillion euros to the Canuks or Aussies.
alpha434
QUOTE (tdgray @ Feb 17 2006, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 17 2006, 01:34 PM)

Let me guess.

The next Ti project right? biggrin.gif just watch the CD effect though rolleyes.gif

mad.gif

Kargeek
It was a factory option for both early and late cars. I happened to find a new bumper cap with the holes and nozzles so; I used them for my car. Later, (1989) I met a guy named Jim Lapossa (sic) back east that had a ton of NOS parts including the headlight wash system and I was too cheap to spend the 300.00 he wanted for all of the parts. There is a crescent shaped water tank that goes in front of the spare tire well, relay near the gas tank and rocker switch on the dash.
dweymer
My car has one of those too; but mines a little different. It cleans the windshield, pumps the gas, and leans over far enough to show me some while doing said chores.

mueba.gif
alpha434
QUOTE (dweymer @ Feb 17 2006, 10:24 AM)
My car has one of those too; but mines a little different. It cleans the windshield, pumps the gas, and leans over far enough to show me some while doing said chores.

mueba.gif

Yeah. But I'll bet that wasn't a factory option. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.