Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best way to clean up white headlight surroundings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
just bought a set of white headlight surroundings on eBay
in general they're in good condition, but they're not really white ...
they've that typical "old and grey" touch as well as some color overspray

now I wonder what's the best way to get them clean white without distroying their surface
and without overspraying with white color
I'd love to keep the original white plastic look ...

any experiences?

wavey.gif Gustl

SirAndy
QUOTE (Gustl @ Feb 16 2006, 09:50 PM)
any experiences?

i *tried* to clean my "once they were black" ones with no success ...

i ended up painting them with flat black and then a clear coat. they came out looking great ...
wink.gif Andy
sk8kat1
some numb nuts spray painted mine black -- warm soapy water , 2500 grit wet sanding paper , lots of scrubbing ... biggrin.gif

getting them whiter .. I tried every thing... even one of those clorox bleach pens .. nothing seemed to realy work ... the more I sanded the whiter I got them but they are kinda weak to begin with so I didn't want to thin them too much
STL914
I just cleaned a set of black ones that had white over spray. Used regular dish cleaning liquid and a scowering pad and a lot of rubbing. Turned out pretty good, not perfect. White may be a bit more difficult, especially with the red paint. You could try letting them soak in hot water with a liquid soap to soften up the paint.
rhodyguy
have you tried just soaking them in a bleach/water bath? GOOF-OFF might work on the paint if it doesn't melt the surround, but my guess is the red will be etched into the plastic. we have some products in the states for cleaning plastic outside chairs and what not. it works well on the funiture. i have 2 sets of white surrounds that need help. i will get some of the product and report back.

k
sk8kat1
hey guys my wife suggested one of those mr clean magic erasers after the paint is off .....I have such a good wife all helpful with the 914 stuff wub.gif
JmuRiz
I could not find a way to get mine clean and keep the finish on them. Ended up spraypainting them with white paint. Looks good enough, and easy to do touch-ups on, if needed.
boxstr
The black surrounds are available from the Porsche dealer.
I was unable to get the white ones.
CCLINORDERUPTHEPARTS
rhodyguy
you may be able to get 2 sets of white ones craig. orderuptheparts!!.

k

#1 worker bee
sk8kat1
YOU CAN ORDER WHITE ONES -- FROM WHERE!!!

AND HOW MUCH? dry.gif
rhodyguy
i know for a fact that 2 sets are located at 12502 40th ave e tacoma wa 98446-3231. near 128th st e and canyon rd.

k
914werke
Ive got a set as well if someone is interested.
rhodyguy
shocked[1].gif . eric? biggrin.gif

k
davep
I found a power washer works good on white plastic patio furniture, but leaves a rough surface. After such a cleaning, I'd be inclined to use a white bumper paint. That paint adheres well to plastic and rubber. Chemical cleaners tend to damage the plastic. Basically, as has been stated, removing the discolored layer is really the only choice. It is not so much cleaning as refinishing.
Jacco
Hey Gustl,

I've also been giving it some thought, and maybe it's possible to bead blast them with the glass stuff.
I've done it on plexiglass to get it to appear as semi translucent plastic, that worked very well and that was on thin plexiglass.

I could try it on a white set of mine, but that will be a couple of weeks from now to know the results since I do not have them here. I can use a bead blaster at the workshop of my university.

Might be worth a try

greets
Jacco
Gustl
wow - lots of good tips - many thanks @ all pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

I'll try the one or the other way on the inner side to see the result
might take it's time but I'll let you know the results

wavey.gif Gustl
GaroldShaffer
Anyone try that Krylon paint for plastic stuff?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.