Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: door stay repair kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
davesprinkle
Now available is a kit that includes ALL of the typically worn components in the 914 door stop mechanism: the aluminum door stay, the plastic roller, and the metal roller. (The metal roller was originally aluminum from the factory; you'll note that I've made it from brass. More on that below.)

A brief description of the pieces:
1. The door stay is machined from 6061-T6 aluminum plate, 3/16" thick. This alloy is stronger and harder than that of the OE door stay.
2. The plastic roller is plastic for 1 reason -- to minimize noise. I originally machined a metal replacement and I found that the metal roller was superb at passing the sound of the mechanism into the resonating door skin. The plastic roller, on the other hand, damps the creaking of the springs when the door is opened and closed. Much quieter. Believe me, you want the plastic.
3. The metal roller is machined from brass. The factory originally made this part from aluminum, apparently overlooking the galling problem that occurs when 2 aluminum parts are in loaded contact. Galling is one of the wear mechanisms of the factory part. The brass roller has similar hardness and corrosion resistance to the original aluminum and eliminates the galling problem.

Price for a kit of all 3 pieces is $43.27. Pretty cheap price to save the door-dings in the wife's (husband's?) driver. I have them in stock. Paypal is the easiest method, although I'll also accept checks and money orders.
McMark
I have these installed on my car. Dave is a great source for the entire replacement kit. Most cars need it. If your doors squeak and clunk when you open them, this kit is for you.
Chris Pincetich
That looks great! BUT I received a nice, new door stay as a Xmas bonus gift. Would you be willing to sell only the rollers, and if so, could you provide an updated price?

beerchug.gif
davesprinkle
Sure. I'll sell the rollers separately. Plastic or brass, same price: $15.26/each or 2 for $27.74. (Plus actual shipping.)
degreeoff
I think I'll need 2 of them....I just took my car apart to put on the rotisserie and noticed they are both worn so much that the roller does'nt roll...its FLAT on 1 side.....

will you have these in a month or so??

Josh
davesprinkle
They're available now. Shipping should be between 2 and 5 days, typically, via USPS.
sk8kat1
are these sill available?
davesprinkle
I have hundreds. How many do you need?
sk8kat1
is the 43.xx including shipping ?

davesprinkle
Does the 43.xx including shipping ?

Sure. If you're OK with delivery by postal service, then I'll take care of shipping -- it's only about a buck or so. If you want overseas or overnight delivery, then you'll need to pay actual shipping charges.

If you're interested, PM or email me and we can discuss specifics.

-dave sprinkle
Racecraft76
Hi Dave,

Fourteener from The DDK 914 forum pointed me in your direction.

I need to replace my rollers and door stays, but I also need to replace springs. Do/can you supply springs also? I would need two sets of your rollers and straps and 2 sets of springs.

Hope you can help. My '14's doors are flappier than a spaniels ears. smile.gif

Regards

Stephen
(Glasgow, Scotland)
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Racecraft76 @ Mar 19 2007, 05:44 PM) *

Hi Dave,

I need to replace my rollers and door stays, but I also need to replace springs. Do/can you supply springs also? I would need two sets of your rollers and straps and 2 sets of springs.

Regards

Stephen
(Glasgow, Scotland)

Hi Stephen, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry, I don't have springs, but I've still got lots of the other pieces. (Maybe I should make some springs? Anyone want to comment about how often the springs fail?)

And you should be aware that after I replaced my door stays, my 914 was STILL a dog... smile.gif
Racecraft76
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Mar 20 2007, 05:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Racecraft76 @ Mar 19 2007, 05:44 PM) *

Hi Dave,

Regards

Stephen
(Glasgow, Scotland)

Hi Stephen, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry, I don't have springs, but I've still got lots of the other pieces. (Maybe I should make some springs? Anyone want to comment about how often the springs fail?)

And you should be aware that after I replaced my door stays, my 914 was STILL a dog... smile.gif

Hi Dave,

Any ideas where I can source relacement springs?
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Racecraft76 @ Mar 22 2007, 08:14 PM) *

Hi Dave,

Any ideas where I can source relacement springs?

Hi Stephen,

I just inquired with a couple of spring vendors to see if they have a stock size spring that will work for this application. No luck. I'll inquire tomorrow about getting some springs custom made. I'll let you know.

-dave
moordi
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Mar 22 2007, 08:49 PM) *

I just inquired with a couple of spring vendors to see if they have a stock size spring that will work for this application. No luck. I'll inquire tomorrow about getting some springs custom made. I'll let you know.

-dave

Dave,

Any word on springs yet? That's the only part I think I need.

another Dave
Lavanaut
Are these kits still available? Need at least one, possibly two.

Thanks
drwolf
do you still have the kits and if so how can i contact you to order one please?

islabob
Are rollers still available ?
davesprinkle
QUOTE(islabob @ Apr 21 2012, 06:00 PM) *

Are rollers still available ?

Hey guys, thanks for the inquiries. I ran out of these parts and have decided not to manufacture any more. But Mikey914 at 914rubber.com makes these now. His quality is top-notch and he sells them for less than I did, lucky you.

Good luck with the repair.
-dave
cconcepcion
Any relation to charley sprinkle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.